What is the most annoying topic and why?

What is the most annoying topic and why?

• Vaseline!

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Which boat should I buy?

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • How much is this boat worth?

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • What kind of oil should I use?

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Should I have Insurance?

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • What should I name my boat?

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 22.9%

• Total voters

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the most annoying topic and why?

When a person shows up on the board with a long winded question looking for specific help with a problem or something with his boat.

He gets numerous, very helpful response only to NEVER show back up the forum again.:mad::mad:

BTMCB

Not so much annoying as kinda funny in my view.......I just bought a "new" to me boat, it is a 1968......".

Of course we know it is "new" to you.........unless of course that boat delaer has a very hard time moving new inventory.........

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

People who ask a question such as "should I dangerously overpower and overload my crappy old boat" and then proceed to argue against the good advice (no) they get and don't like.

I also agree with the poor use of the subject line ("need help") and the ones that are way too broad: what should I look for if I want to buy a boat? What equipment do I need for my boat? What anchor should I buy? and especially when they are too broad because they give no context.

I don't really mind the "what do you think about this CL ad" just because I read those ads for fun myself. It's easy enough to skip over them.

woosterken

Lieutenant

how about the same subject,posted in many different topics?:( (like the one for a get together in the south)

woosterken

TexMojo

Seaman

Why would any post "annoy" anyone? People post because they are looking for help.

I am thankful help is this close.....

I agree, some people may post a question just to break the ice. Keep silly poles like this going and people may choose to post elsewhere. No one started out as a boating expert so questions are how you learn. Or, some people are just so bored and lonely, they are looking for conversation.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Very, very good list. I know these have all been mentioned, but they're the ones that tick me off when I'm having a bad day...

1. Hopelessly vague subject lines and cries for help. Can't you just say "Bilge Pump Working in Reverse!" right up front?

2. The "can I tow a 30' Sea Ray with a Smart Car?" questions, followed by the arguments from the OP about why it'll work anyway, 'cause "the manufacturers purposely low-ball the car's REAL tow capacity", "I put helper springs on it", and "I'm very careful"

3. The "I've read every single one of the 1000 threads about the lousy (insert OB, I/O or boat type here), but I can get a good deal on one. What do you guys really think of it?"

4. The unending Ford, Chevy, Dodge debates. It's Dodge. :D

scipper77

Commander

I agree, some people may post a question just to break the ice. Keep silly poles like this going and people may choose to post elsewhere. No one started out as a boating expert so questions are how you learn. Or, some people are just so bored and lonely, they are looking for conversation.

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner. I think that this thread and ones like it do three things,

1) Discourages new/inexperienced members from asking simple ??'s for fear of getting bashed.

2) Encourages "slightly" more experienced members to bash these new members by setting up a kind of mob mentality. Te elaborate I mean it gives the impression that we all are annoyed and will agree with the bashing of newer members.

3) Educates members on what is considered proper etiquette.

My personal opinion (not that anyone asked for it) is what I originally posted. I choose what to read so I am not annoyed by much, just when people screw up a good discussion with bickering and misinformation.

paulspaddle

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner. I think that this thread and ones like it do three things,

1) Discourages new/inexperienced members from asking simple ??'s for fear of getting bashed.

2) Encourages "slightly" more experienced members to bash these new members by setting up a kind of mob mentality. Te elaborate I mean it gives the impression that we all are annoyed and will agree with the bashing of newer members.

3) Educates members on what is considered proper etiquette.

My personal opinion (not that anyone asked for it) is what I originally posted. I choose what to read so I am not annoyed by much, just when people screw up a good discussion with bickering and misinformation.

Good one Skipper!....agreed.