What is the most annoying topic and why?

What is the most annoying topic and why?

• Vaseline!

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Which boat should I buy?

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • How much is this boat worth?

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • What kind of oil should I use?

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Should I have Insurance?

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • What should I name my boat?

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 22.9%

• Total voters

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You don't have to visit the forum long before you see that there are some annoying topics that come up far too frequently. Which of these do you think is the most annoying topic? If you choose other, tell us what topic you love to hate.

I chose, "What should I name my boat?" It always makes me wonder if the person had to ask for help naming their kids. And, wouldn't a guy rather it be a reflection of his own wit and sensibilities, rather than those of Swabby Sam on the boating forum?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the most annoying topic and why?

I would have to say the ones where somebody has a small car / minivan, and wants to know if it can tow a 5,000 pound boat. It is clearly written on the vehicle, or on the website, or the owner's manual. Why would you not just follow what those items say?

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Bilge taking on water.Not so much the subject as asking "Can I still Run /Use The Boat This Way"??

I am presently landlocked because my bellows sprung a leak and I REFUSE to run/use my boat until it is PROPERLY repaired.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Starcraft owners threads!! HA HA!:D

...Only because I don't own one of my own...yet!

BOB

scipper77

Commander

I choose what I read and what I respond to so I don't find any thread topic annoying. What I do find annoying is when there is a good discussion going on in a thread that peaks my interest and then someone comes in with a personal attack and turns the thread into an argument, often getting it locked before the actual interesting discussion had been exhausted.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I chose "What KIND of boat I should buy" Buy the boat you intend on using it for, Fishing, Running around and cruising, Sleeper, Wakeboarding, Tubing, ETC. (example) I would not buy a 14' fishing boat with two seats in it for a family of 6.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Without a doubt...stupid polls.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I went with the " what is this boat worth " option for two reasons:
1. We're being asked to assess value on something sight unseen, that may or may not have flaws that are readily apparent.
2. The value I put on something may not have the same value to anyone else for the needs and uses they have.:)

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I choose what I read and what I respond to so I don't find any thread topic annoying. What I do find annoying is when there is a good discussion going on in a thread that peaks my interest and then someone comes in with a personal attack and turns the thread into an argument, often getting it locked before the actual interesting discussion had been exhausted.

Without a doubt...stupid polls.

The juxtaposition of these two replies is funny, and I agree with both.

Thanks!

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

New here and overall this is a great forum and nice people but since you ask, these are mine:

1. Asking what kind of boat poll you have and then not having a choice for the most popular style of boat.
2. Smart Tabs, give me a break!
3. Vaseline, come on now!
4. Which is the "best" boat (brand, style, whatever).

But, no big deal, it is all fun.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Amen! My thoughts exactly!

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, some people are taking this too seriously! I'm not talkin' road rage annoying, more like roll-your-eyes or shake your head and chuckle annoying. I did say "love to hate", didn't I? So, even though this is all in fun among a group with shared interest, and the goal is to have an interactive experience, you have to admit there are some goofy things that come up with annoying frequency.

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why would any post "annoy" anyone? People post because they are looking for help.

I am thankful help is this close.....

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I dunno, which boat should I buy threads (when there are two to compare) seem pretty genuine, as owners of the two boats will typically state the pros, cons, and what to look out fors, for each boat in question. So those I don't mind. The ones asking for help choosing a name make no sense to me, as was pointed out, do they get someone else to name their kids or pets for them too? The boat name typically will represent your personality, so you should name it...sheesh. Thus mine is named Lithium Rx hehe...

Ian

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why would any post "annoy" anyone? People post because they are looking for help.

I am thankful help is this close.....

OK already! I'm changing my vote. The most annoying posts to me are the ones people take too seriously! This is a frigging boating forum for heaven's sake, not a drug crisis center! :cool:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

To me the most annoying topics are those where the "postee", hasn't done a search before they ask. There are numerous threads that point to many many posts for many many problems. Redundancy to me is annoying.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To me the most annoying topics are those where the "postee", hasn't done a search before they ask. There are numerous threads that point to many many posts for many many problems. Redundancy to me is annoying.

I thought this one might come up. I am surprised it took this long. I understand how this could be annoying, but let me give you a slightly different take on it.

I think it is safe to say that after a couple years, just about every topic has likely been covered at least once. If it was only about getting the information, we could all cash in our stripes and move on. But, I don't think it is all about the information. In my view it is about the immediacy of the camaraderie and shared interest. It is simply more fun to interact with others, one on one. The search is valuable, but not a substitute for an interactive experience.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

You don't have to visit the forum long before you see that there are some annoying topics that come up far too frequently. Which of these do you think is the most annoying topic? If you choose other, tell us what topic you love to hate.

OK, some people are taking this too seriously! So, even though this is all in fun among a group with shared interest, and the goal is to have an interactive experience

OK already! I'm changing my vote. The most annoying posts to me are the ones people take too seriously! This is a frigging boating forum for heaven's sake :cool:

You asked:D gotta becareful what you ask for!;)

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I thought this one might come up. I am surprised it took this long. I understand how this could be annoying, but let me give you a slightly different take on it.

I think it is safe to say that after a couple years, just about every topic has likely been covered at least once. If it was only about getting the information, we could all cash in our stripes and move on. But, I don't think it is all about the information. In my view it is about the immediacy of the camaraderie and shared interest. It is simply more fun to interact with others, one on one. The search is valuable, but not a substitute for an interactive experience.

Yes I agree Bilgamesh. I have noticed sometimes that a lengthy conversation is needed to help someone. So I get plain lazy and start inserting links to a lengthy conversation where their problem was addressed. Yes interaction is good. I guess it brings the "human element" back into the equation where it is so-posed to be. But some people are looking for an immediate answer for their problem. I guess I should ask if they "wouldn't mind looking at some previous posts"