What is the most annoying topic and why?

What is the most annoying topic and why?

• Vaseline!

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Which boat should I buy?

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • How much is this boat worth?

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • What kind of oil should I use?

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Should I have Insurance?

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • What should I name my boat?

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 22.9%

• Total voters

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is the most annoying topic and why?

who's to say i'm annoyed-- i may just be slightly ticked off but then again you may be the one that is annoyed:D

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I should have said this in my first reply too, I also pick "other" too. It's not that I get annoyed but some times it does bother me when some one new comes onto Iboats and alot of the guys here really go out of our way to help some one, give them links and other threads to read and you never hear from them again, No updates, No replies, No thank you's or anything. I don't look for gratitude but would like to know if we helped them out or if they figured it out or SOMETHING. Would be nice to get some feed back. Alot of people do!! And those are the ones I would help out again.:) I welcome Newcomers.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would you smear vasaline all over your corvette?

scipper77

Commander

To me the most annoying topics are those where the "postee", hasn't done a search before they ask. There are numerous threads that point to many many posts for many many problems. Redundancy to me is annoying.

Redundancy may be annoying but some people like the personal touch you get from starting your own thread. Lets face it, there probably aren't too many boat issues left that haven't been answered in somebodies thread. If people started using the search function then this site would turn into a whole lot of dockside chat;)

jonesg

Admiral

Why would any post "annoy" anyone? People post because they are looking for help.

I am thankful help is this close.....

There ya go, gratititude is attitude.
Boy doncha just hate when people do that.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I find polls to be the most annoying. Not because the poll itself is annoying but because no one ever closes the polls and every time someone responds to it, it gets kicked back up into the recent threads list....often times long after the original poster has vanished. For example the "do all old boats need to floors" thread NEEDS TO DIE!!!

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I should have said this in my first reply too, I also pick "other" too. It's not that I get annoyed but some times it does bother me when some one new comes onto Iboats and alot of the guys here really go out of our way to help some one, give them links and other threads to read and you never hear from them again, No updates, No replies, No thank you's or anything. I don't look for gratitude but would like to know if we helped them out or if they figured it out or SOMETHING. Would be nice to get some feed back. Alot of people do!! And those are the ones I would help out again.:) I welcome Newcomers.

I'm with you Wavenbye2. I voted other for just the reason you stated. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with my replies since I seem to so often kill threads with them. No feedback, no replies, the discussion just ends and the original poster disappears. Makes you wonder if I'm just wasting my time. I still try to help out when I think I have something to offer, but now always think twice before hand given my previous experiences. :(

-- Jeff

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pick and choose the topic I read and have to admit I kind of enjoy some of the ones you listed like "what boat should I buy" and "how much is this boat worth". But I read one and one only about vaseline and will not bother reading another. I would never even think of smearing vaseline on my boat. I have some good uses for vaseline, but putting it on my boat will never be one of them. Stupid polls bother me too though.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with you Wavenbye2. I voted other for just the reason you stated. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with my replies since I seem to so often kill threads with them. No feedback, no replies, the discussion just ends and the original poster disappears. Makes you wonder if I'm just wasting my time. I still try to help out when I think I have something to offer, but now always think twice before hand given my previous experiences. :(

-- Jeff

I see what ya mean Jeff, sometimes I also wonder if some long time members log back in under a different user, and ask meaningless questions,,,,,"just to get me going" then sit back and heha....yea could be paranoia, but sometimes I just wonder.
Bob

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I have to say I haven't really found a truly "annoying" topic yet...

I think most people ask valid questions, and have a right to.

I think people should try to use the search function more... but I have even had trouble with it at times... it will keep saying something about needing more than 2 words, when I type entire sentences... I just don't get why it does that, I get frustrated and make a new topic... (which was probably covered at some point).

However, one thing that that does annoy me as far as posts go... asking the same question, from the same poster in a new thread repeatedly, when their original thread falls off the front page... now that to me is very annoying... give it 24-hours.. if you don't get a reponse to your question, or you need more info, then give it a polite bump... but no more than once a day. But no need to keep making new threads for the same question when your first wasn't answered or you need more info!

But as for all the rest, ask away... I'll usually skim the highlight over a topic and decide whether or not I want to read the thread... so even the vaseline ones, name this boat, whatever, don't really bother me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

rants about bad manners and incompetence at the boat ramp. Posting it here isn't going to change a thing.

I have to say I haven't really found a truly "annoying" topic yet...

I think most people ask valid questions, and have a right to.

I think people should try to use the search function more... but I have even had trouble with it at times... it will keep saying something about needing more than 2 words, when I type entire sentences... I just don't get why it does that, I get frustrated and make a new topic... (which was probably covered at some point).

However, one thing that that does annoy me as far as posts go... asking the same question, from the same poster in a new thread repeatedly, when their original thread falls off the front page... now that to me is very annoying... give it 24-hours.. if you don't get a reponse to your question, or you need more info, then give it a polite bump... but no more than once a day. But no need to keep making new threads for the same question when your first wasn't answered or you need more info!

But as for all the rest, ask away... I'll usually skim the highlight over a topic and decide whether or not I want to read the thread... so even the vaseline ones, name this boat, whatever, don't really bother me.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Sooooo many to chose from :rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

I find it VERY annoying when someone mentions their hot wife/gf, and then they fail to back it up with pics :mad::mad::mad::mad:

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I find it VERY annoying when someone mentions their hot wife/gf, and then they fail to back it up with pics :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! :D

Jeep Man

Commander

I choose what I read and what I respond to so I don't find any thread topic annoying. What I do find annoying is when there is a good discussion going on in a thread that peaks my interest and then someone comes in with a personal attack and turns the thread into an argument, often getting it locked before the actual interesting discussion had been exhausted.

here here !!!!!!!!

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd net it out like this.

If you don't like the title of a thread, don't read it.
If you are not interested in one guys experience with a product, skip it.
If you don't have any advice to give the newbee, don't give it.
If you're annoyed in the least by stupid questions, cause you already have all the answers, then you're not a very good mentor and probably should not be here.
All that said, polls are fine, I would just apply the same principles.

People come to forums like this for help you can't buy anywhere!​

This place is priceless.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

The most annoying for me are people who post questions without reading the stickies in the forum they are posting in.

Use the prop forum for example. There is a good sticky outlining what information is needed to answer a prop question but too many just post "I want a new prop, what should I buy" type questions without providing the basics.

I honestly don't expect someone to search through 5 year old threads for their answer, but if they provide the basic info needed then the thread moves along much quicker.

Oh, that and all the threads not about Starcraft boats.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ones that missppell everything are annoyying.

Seriusly.