What I/O Drive options were used in a 19' Islander

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm curious what all options for I/O power were offered (from the factory) with 19 foot Islanders?

I picked up one this weekend and it has an OMC 120 Cobra Setup (so I know about that option). I assume over the years the Mercruiser 120, 140, 3.0 (GM 2.5 and 3.0) were options.

Were the 165 Mercruiser (straight 6) or any V8s offered with a 19 footer?

Thanks!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I have no clue. Others may know, so hopefully they will chime in.

I was wondering what was on your mind.
Are you just curious or looking to re-power?
It might help if we knew what you had in mind.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm just interested in knowing what different (Inboard/outboard) power setups the factory thought were suitable and installed in 19 footers over the years.

If anyone else has an I/O 19' Islander and can let me know what their boat came with, I'd be quite happy to know it.

Thanks!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Have you checked if the manufacturer has a current website?
Some of them are very informative, have pretty good archives and sometimes even their own forums.

Back in 2013, I was able to download the user's manual for a 10 year old Bayliner. It showed all the specs and options.

matt167

Captain
I don't think the 19' came with an inline 6. They used all 3 outdrive brands though, some having Volvo, OMC Stringer, OMC Cobra and mostly Mercruiser..

I know they did use the 3.7L/488 motors and the 4.3L in the late 80's early 90's Islander was quite common

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What research have you done?
Well...I've been reading a lot of threads here for many years. Does that put me on the nice list?
I've looked at the (entirely-composed-of-broken-links) sticky info post in this section.
I've looked on the Starcraft Marine website (and leaned some of this info for the newer models)
I've kept my eye on Starcrafts for over a decade now and have researched a lot of them...but an opportunity came along for a 19' Islander so I jumped on it even though this particular size and model aren't (weren't) the most popular (certainly not as popular as 16' SuperSports, 18' Holidays, or larger Chiertains and Islanders by my estimation).

Frankly, I didn't expect to have to justify a request to share information that might be helpful to myself AND others. I came to the place where people like to talk about their boats and share information and made the request hoping like-minded folks would chime in.

I already know some of the drive combinations that were offered based on the reading I've been doing. I was hopeful to get more folks to chime in with THEIR experience...like happens in a community of folks who share a common interest.

Last edited:

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't think the 19' came with an inline 6. They used all 3 outdrive brands though, some having Volvo, OMC Stringer, OMC Cobra and mostly Mercruiser..

I know they did use the 3.7L/488 motors and the 4.3L in the late 80's early 90's Islander was quite common

Thanks! This is helpful info. I'm certainly glad mine didn't have a stringer setup, lol.

It's kind of interesting to me that they eventually used the 4.3 V6 but didn't use the 250 I6 that preceded it.

Last edited:

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you checked if the manufacturer has a current website?
Some of them are very informative, have pretty good archives and sometimes even their own forums.

Back in 2013, I was able to download the user's manual for a 10 year old Bayliner. It showed all the specs and options.
Yes, Starcraft has a current website but does not offer brochures/catalogs back as far as is helpful for this curiosity. I definitely checked there. They have Catalogs back to 1995. I know the Islander was made for many years prior to that as well.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well...I've been reading a lot of threads here for many years. Does that put me on the nice list?
I've looked at the (entirely-composed-of-broken-links) sticky info post in this section.
I've looked on the Starcraft Marine website (and leaned some of this info for the newer models)
I've kept my eye on Starcrafts for over a decade now and have researched a lot of them...but an opportunity came along for a 19' Islander so I jumped on it even though this particular size and model aren't (weren't) the most popular (certainly not as popular as 16' SuperSports, 18' Holidays, or larger Chiertains and Islanders by my estimation).

Frankly, I didn't expect to have to justify a request to share information that might be helpful to myself AND others. I came to the place where people like to talk about their boats and share information and made the request hoping like-minded folks would chime in.

I already know some of the drive combinations that were offered based on the reading I've been doing. I was hopeful to get more folks to chime in with THEIR experience...like happens in a community of folks who share a common interest.

Is it a bad question to ask so members don't repeat what you've already found? No justification was asked for.

matt167

Captain
Thanks! This is helpful info. I'm certainly glad mine didn't have a stringer setup, lol.

It's kind of interesting to me that they eventually used the 4.3 V6 but didn't use the 250 I6 that preceded it.

The old I6, I think was used in 21' and larger tin boats. It's a heavy engine. The 3.7L weigh's much less than the 165 I6, probably similar to the 3.0L. The 4.3L isn't all that heavy

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The old I6, I think was used in 21' and larger tin boats. It's a heavy engine. The 3.7L weigh's much less than the 165 I6, probably similar to the 3.0L. The 4.3L isn't all that heavy

That adds up with the 3.7 being an aluminum block IIRC.

I had not thought about the I6 being that much heavier than the V6 but I assume you're right now that I think about it.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it a bad question to ask so members don't repeat what you've already found? No justification was asked for.
Sorry if I read more into the post than what was there. It struck a nerve to be sure.

And I'd rather discuss with other owners what's in their boat first hand than parrot back what my armchair research resulted in.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry if I read more into the post than what was there. It struck a nerve to be sure.

And I'd rather discuss with other owners what's in their boat first hand than parrot back what my armchair research resulted in.

No berating at all.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not all the sticky links are broken or have damaged threads after the forum overhaul, I repaired mine on rivets :)

I also saved what I could of the SC brochures locally and some day this winter I plan on bringing them back.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I had a 18 SS V5 that had the 4 cyl Merc (1/2 a 460 Ford) - check but IIRC it was in the 170/180 hp range.

Omineca

Seaman
My 83/84 191V has a Volvo Penta AQ145A and AQ280 leg. I was told that this was original equipment, although I have no hard evidence. The only factory data I have seen was from a 1996 catalog, which stated that for the 19' Islander standard power was a 90hp Mercury and maximum power was given as 135hp, which in fact is what the Penta 145A delivers.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That adds up with the 3.7 being an aluminum block IIRC.

I had not thought about the I6 being that much heavier than the V6 but I assume you're right now that I think about it.
the inline 6 weighs about 150# more than the V6. that is 4 cases of beer and 2 bags of ice