What do you tow with?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Please don't turn this into an arguement of who is better or worse, just interested in what brands are the most popular within our "boating" demographic? If you would like to note which specific model you use that would be great!<br /><br />Guess which one I threw in for JB?<br /><br />Please mark Jeep in the Dodge area please!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: What do you tow with?

My bronco is getting a little tired, and a lot of rusty. Time to look at trading in the old girl and getting something a little longer, and a little stronger. I might be lucky to get another year out of her as the engine and driveline are operating fine, just need to replace the oil pan which is a pretty big job.<br /><br />Not a huge ford vs. chevy vs. dodge guy but would like to see what people are using and their experiences. Perhaps if you did a modification that brought good results would be nice to know as well. Thanks all!!!!

ndemge

Commander

'71 1 Ton Van<br /><br />Was going to restore as a camper van, but it's turned into a total utility vehicle.<br />Thinking of chopping half the van off, turnning the back into a dually for 5th wheel

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I put in GM, but have towed with both GM and Ford with good results.<br /><br />They are both diesels and both turbo charged which, IMO, is a plus when towing anything of size, weight wise.<br /><br />Also have a full size GM van that I can tow with if need be.<br /><br />All three set up to pull travel trailers and the 2 trucks are set up to pull fifth wheel/goose neck if I want.

sangerwaker

Commander

Ponter, I think your Dodge category should read Mopar powered. I use both my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee and my Dodge Dakota to tow with.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SangerW, I made a footnote on the discription to the effect of your request. Once you post a poll you can't edit it. But you are right probably should have been a category unto itself..

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tow with a 1985 Ford E-250 XLT Club Wagon, (3/4 ton) front and rear A/C, with the 7.5 lt. (460 cu.in.) C-6 tranny, with a Gear Vendors overdrive/gear splitter unit...(nice) 3:55 rear end, without posi-traction though.<br /><br />My E-250 just turned 110,000 original miles :cool: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

tgkBarney

Seaman Apprentice

I tow with a 1990 Chevy Astro- does fine unless there's a headwind!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1998 Ford Explorer Sport V6 2WD.

Link

Rear Admiral

85 F250 4X4 6.9 Ltr Diesel with 7.3 Ltr glow plug controller and harnes. Everything except the block is new or rebuilt. 300K +

aspeck

Staff member

Didn't know there was anything but GM! Use either a 2000 GMC Yukon Denali or an 85 GMC 1/2 ton 4WD.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

'02 Toyota 4Runner V6. Had a '98 4Runner V6 before that, and a '87 4Runner 4-banger before that... Oh, what a feeling!<br />Before I hear about it being a rice-burning rickshaw, lemme say it was made right here in the US of A.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

O-s8er,<br />I never judge a person by what they drive. The fact that you have had good luck with Toyota is great, good products should inspire loyalty.<br /><br />The only problem with your post is the fact that you failed to recognize the absolute descimation your buckeyes are going to get this weekend at the hands of the Wisconsin Badgers. That crushing sound will be the backs of your team after the first quarter. There will be no mercy and no consideration for the weak and injured. If you thought Northwestern was a juggernaught, look out. They grow em' big up here. And it has been almost two or three years since we had a chance to go west and show those sweet boys from the Pac 10 that football is a contact sport. Keep the women and children inside!<br /><br />Of course we could lose, in which case---never mind!

Dunaruna

Admiral

I'm with you ohioSt8er, nothing wrong with toyota - especially the cruiser.<br /><br />Aldo

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a small alum. boat so if we go in comfort we pull with the Tauras, If we go in style we pull with 1966 mustang.<br /><br />I know, I know but its a small boat, 500 lbs unless camping then 750 lbs, plus 18 to 20 miles a gallon is great.

NathanY

Commander

I pull this <br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />With this<br /><br />
watermark.php

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

1999 Dodge Durango with the 5.9L 360cid. I can pull both boats with ease............

brother chris

Commander

16' fiberglass boat with a 55hp, towed with a Chevy S-10, 4x4, 6cyl.