what do you see wrong with this picture?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
can anyone see what is wrong with this picture? any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 93

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Color code, engine oil? Not really sure what is supposed to mean.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Color code, engine oil? Not really sure what is supposed to mean.
take a closer look under the belt. that does not look like water........does this engine have other problems besides just a starter?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did a bit of clean up @ aisle 3.
Have a great week

What's this Merc in?

flashback

Captain
I'm a rookie but is that a normal setup for an oil filter? If that is an oil filter I can see how the bilge gets greasy...

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
I'm a rookie but is that a normal setup for an oil filter? If that is an oil filter I can see how the bilge gets greasy...
that there my friend is i believe a water seperator from gas. correct me if im wrong. ?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep anything on the rear or sides is a nuisance to get at.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
that there my friend is i believe a water seperator from gas. correct me if im wrong. ?
That is a remote oil filter pretty common on mercs. The fuel/water separator is usually down on lower left front of engine

the oil in the bilge may not be a big deal could come from corroded timing cover or from drive seal leaking into bellows and into the boat. What would worry me is the general age of the boat , looks like it had some plywood work done, so the likely hood someone replaced the deck or did a deck over is high. If the deck was properly replaced thats fine but I would check stringers and transom for rot.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
That is a remote oil filter pretty common on mercs. The fuel/water separator is usually down on lower left front of engine

the oil in the bilge may not be a big deal could come from corroded timing cover or from drive seal leaking into bellows and into the boat. What would worry me is the general age of the boat , looks like it had some plywood work done, so the likely hood someone replaced the deck or did a deck over is high. If the deck was properly replaced thats fine but I would check stringers and transom for rot.
as i said earlier on Scott. i have walked away from this one.... not worth my chief. I do have my eyes on something much better now. will post if it comes through.

flashback

Captain
Does the oil in that filter drain back to the crank case when the engine is off? I just see a mess when changing if it doesn't...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Does the oil in that filter drain back to the crank case when the engine is off? I just see a mess when changing if it doesn't...
Don’t know never had one. Would assume they would drain out like max when changing. There must be some way to not make a complete mess

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My brother has a 2020 Merc 4.5 with the same design filter & it doesn’t make a mess when changing it. A little leaks out but not much.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If this boat didn’t have a remote filter mount there’s no way you could change it the way the boat is designed. Modern boats scare me!