What do you do?

eeboater

Commander
There's always threads floating around like "how old are you" or "where do you live" or "Show us your boat." But I thought I would try something new.<br /><br />This one is what do you do. My idea behind it is that everyone is an expert at something. As an example, I'm an IT Director of a mortgage lender. So I know a lot about Computers/technology as well as the mortgage industry. I will be glad to offer help with anyone's questions in these two fields as well. What do you guys do, just in case we have a question that lands in your related field.<br /><br />Sean

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: What do you do?

EEB, I am LAN/WAN/PBX Admin for a large Government weapons builder. I have been in IT for about 16 years, and have held Manager / Lead / Tech positions. I am transferring out of a Contract/W2 position to a Permanent LAN Admin positino on February 7th, for another large Government project, the NMCI (Navy Marine Corp Intranet). I have worked in that project before, but in a different capacity. This is supposed to bring all the Navy / Marine Corps under the umbrella of ONE joined network which is supposed to prevent the communication porblems experienced in teh gulf war and the previous battles. Some units were accessing the internet via various channels and not getting data properly, so this is a secure (yeah right!!) WAN that will assist in a central data point.<br /><br />My previous life was as an airplane installation mechanic for teh Boeing company, a stint int eh Navy as an AMH on F-14 jets, and some other things.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Not nearly as interesting as some. Floor covering installation / inspection subcontractor for almost 20 years or all my adult life. Mainly for Home Depot these days.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Manufacturing Manager for a Aerospace mechanical display manufacturer. Changed gears from the Folding Carton Industry after 25 years.

rogerwa

Commander

Lead Application Architect for large financial services/Brokerage company.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

self employeed certified nut case (struc./civil engineer) w/blue collar background as a carpenter and ditch digger.. dangerous! :p

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm a rocket scientist. But of course ya'll already knew that. :)

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I'm a rocket scientist. But of course ya'll already knew that. :)
Guess it does take a rocket scientist to figure this place out!
36_2_9.gif
<br /><br /><br />Self=employed Manufactures Sales Representative in electronic and electrical distribution markets.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Well,<br />I'll tell you what. If anybody needs assistance in fixing the electrical or bleed air (air conditioning, etc) systems on C-5, or C-17 aircraft, let me know.<br /><br />I can hooooooooooooook you up!<br /> :D :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

eeboater

Commander

I gotta admit... the answers are a LOT more interesting than I anticipated. I half expected Chef, IT man, High School principal!<br /><br />FLAT: Damn man! Head Geek at a Weapons Manufacturer. That sounds a LOT more interesting than Credit Reports....<br /><br /><br /> :D <br /><br /><br />Sean

dolluper

Captain

retired mechanic ,had my own 4 bay garage [automotive] for 19 years,worked before for Dept of Highways as heavy duty Diesel mechanic and all other equippment owned by highways dept including Cop cars for 10 years

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I just fix boats.<br /> did a 6 year stint setting up and programming CNC lathes and mills. did a 6 year stint as an FC in the navy. got factory training with porsche,mazda and volkswagon as well as chevolet and olds when I was younger. graduated some courses on automotive machining a in my youth but now I just fix boats. fix boats and shovel up after my baby horse :) take care of a few cats and go fishing when I can :) :)

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> I gotta admit... the answers are a LOT more interesting than I anticipated. I half expected Chef, IT man, High School principal!<br /><br />FLAT: Damn man! Head Geek at a Weapons Manufacturer. That sounds a LOT more interesting than Credit Reports....<br /><br /><br /> :D <br /><br /><br />Sean
Yep, they is all next door putting torpedoes together in secret rooms, and I make sure they can talk to the world on their computers...and phones...and email...and internet...and at the same time, I monitor this iboats place...I think the most fun I have is playing with engineer's minds...those guys are so smart they ain't got no common sense...

spratt

Lieutenant

Sean, if ya wanna move to Wa., I can get ya into my slot when I leave...ya got a Secret Government clearance?

Laddies

Banned

I have been repairing 2/cycle engines since 1956, a couple of years in Germany complments of the US Army. Repairing marine engines,repairing refinshing and restoration of wooden boats ever since. My sons race stock outboard Class D runabout we have built several boats, won three National Marathon Championships. But the most important thing we have done is meet alot of the worlds finest people and make a lot of freinds. Bob Ladd

LubeDude

Admiral

Dabbler in nearly everything, Master of nothing. Hey, and I know a thing or two about oils. :D

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Retired,from small trucking company(35 yrs)Don't do much now. take care of 7 cats and 1 bird inside,3 cats outside. Work on boat weather and health permitting. Dave

aspeck

Staff member

Worked in a marina for about 6 years, basic repair, maintenance, gas jockey, pencil pusher, tour boat captain, fishing guide, wannabe skiing guru, etc. Work in family New and Used car dealership (Pontiac and Oldsmobile, in family for 42 years) till a fool came along and offered us more than it was worth. Now I am an assistance pastor of a small, rural church in central PA, and the administrator/director of a Biblical and Vocational Training Centre in Ghana, West Africa.