WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVIN'?

phatmanmike

Captain
let me be first by saying i am unemployed. i make my cheese by attending college full time and beeing paid through the VA's chapter 31 vocational rehab program. <br /><br />ive been unemployed since 10/2003.prior to that i sold tools at sears, i sold fountains and pottery at some lil hole in the wall store, i printed billboards with giant 16 foot print machines, i delivered pizza, i managed pizza, and i ate LOTS OF PIZZA DURING that time !!!<br /><br />oh yeah, i even spent a short time in the U.S. ARMY at FORT KNOX , KENTUCKY<br /><br />EDIT: ironically, ive spent about 6 thousand dollars on various boats AFTER i became unemployed in 10/2003 last year.before that, i only had a jon boat with trolling motor. wierd. gotta have boats!!

ZmOz

Captain
Re: WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVIN'?

I run 3 online businesses, mainly hosting.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Self employed motor mechanic, one man show for nearly 20 years now. Started the day after my apprenticship was finished. It was my dream since I was 14yrs old. I gota get a new dream :rolleyes: :D <br /><br />Aldo

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Union Carpenter/Outboard motor rebuilder :p :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have been "retired" for 7 years.<br /><br />What I do now to be useful to my fellow humans is moderate on this wonderful site. Long hours and the payoff is not in bux but it is great.<br /><br />When I worked for a living, I:<br /><br />Spent 9 years in uniform as an avionics tech, flight radioman and electronics instructor; 22 years in hi-tech industry as an engineer, technical trainer, writer, training manager and management trainer; and 15 years in technical schools and colleges as an instructor, department head, school director and dean of education. <br /><br />I was RIFed 4 times, fired twice and spent a total of about 4 years unemployed.<br /><br />During the last 30 years or so I consulted on the side in Instructor Training and Management Development and wrote Service and Operator Manuals on contract.<br /><br />Jeez! :eek: After I write it down I realize that I had three and a half interesting careers.<br /><br />That's enough for one life. :)

brother chris

Commander

I work nights at a university as the acting manager. <br />It's the best job I have ever had, and don't plan on leaving until I retire at 55. It's all calculated out. Full pension at 55....woohoo :D :D :D . <br />Free education for me, my wife, and children. <br />No tuition to pay for :D , ever.<br />Now my son can be whoever he wants to be and I don't have to pay a dime. :D <br />He better make it good so he can give some $ to his old man!

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Self employed optician.... I sell, manufacture, and dispense eyewear and sunwear as an optician with two businesses. One is a retail location at an ophthalmologists office and another is a mobile optical service to health care facilities and industrial safety accounts. I also work with a sunwear company to promote their sunwear at fishing tournaments and other promotional events throughout the year.<br /><br />2004 Polar 2010 CC w/ Yamaha F150 <br />Kevin

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Oilfield trash for the last 11 years. Split my time in the field (USA, Thailand, Brunei, China), and the rest of the time in the laboratory/office. Very enjoyable work, as it is never boring. Always a problem to solve.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well, me and 8 friends made 63,364 imitation pizzas today.<br />That included packaging and casing of the finished pizzas.<br /><br />Kindof a record for our crew.<br />The company thanked us by telling us to come back tomorrow and do it again. Only plan on making 45,000 tomorrow, with a crew of 14.<br /><br />I no longer eat the free pizzas at work, but will eat a real pizza at a pizzaria.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Welllllll....let's see.<br /><br />My regular job is with AEP. I work at a local power plant and my offical title is PSL-O..which means Production Services Leader-Operations. Which means in short....I'm a boss in the operationds department. I run the show when no one else is around. I also have a marine and tackle shop which my Father and I opened up 14 years ago and which I intend to retire to at the end of this year. I have back grounds in drafting, electronics, and mechanics as well as being a 1st Class licensed Staionary Engineer with the State of Ohio.<br /><br />But my true job is finding the bad bottles of Longneck Budwiesers on the Carry Out shelves. So far....ain't found a bad one yet. This is the job I like best...... :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /><br /> Well, me and 8 friends made 63,364 imitation pizzas today.<br />That included packaging and casing of the finished pizzas.<br /><br />
Please, You just gotta explain that, or am I just dumb? :confused: <br /><br />Aldo

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Well, let's see. At this time and until I retire I am teaching Independent Study(K-12). That means that I teach the kids that can't stay in school(expelled,sick,suspended,young mothers or just don't like being in the school setting). I absolutely love it! No discipline and I get to really teach. With the California budget the way it is I am part time right now, but after trying this I could never go back to the classroom. This is so rewarding and I feel like I'm finally making a difference. That's a good feeling.<br /> Before starting this job I:<br /> Taught in the classroom,8th grade, for two years. I hated it and had no life with working 12 hour days M-F.<br />Substitute taught for 4 years before that.<br />Waitressed(Food server is the proper title now) in a variety of restaurants(mexican,steakhouse and fine dining).<br />Worked at a pizza place and a burger joint before that.<br />and last but not least I was a maid for Best Western hotel. Now that was hard work. It was my summer job after freshman year of college. Never again. <br /> So, that's me.<br />Bassy

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Run a computer services company locally and focuses otherwise on online services such as hosting, server administration, web design, ad naseum. Been in business since December 20, 2000... kind of ancient for a hosting company.<br /><br />Could go into detail about what I actually do, but most people find computer talk extremely boring. "Most people" would include myself. :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

10 years as a mainframe computer engineer.<br />2 years as general dogs-body (including marine mechanic)<br />5 years as ROV (remotely operated vehicle) Pilot offshore.<br />4 years owned and ran boat shop.<br />Now 6 years back offshore. (sideline in still fixing boat and computers when I'm home)<br /><br />Chris........

NathanY

Commander

Since there are no more IT jobs to be found, I now use all of my highly skilled training and certifications that I have received at great expense to many companies, to drive a tri-axle dump truck. Boy am I glad I got my CDL when I was 18. I had something to fall back on, while so many others didnt.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I work for a very large defence company - Lockheed Marting in Orlando. I'd tell you what I do, but then I've to :eek: "kill you" :eek: .<br /><br />What I can say is: you know that funny looking thing on the front the the AH-64 Apached helechopter! It is a TADS/PNVS system (Target Acquisition Designation Sight and Pilot Night Vision Sensor). That is the program I mainly work. <br /><br /> Apache Photo Link

Link

Rear Admiral

phatmanmike<br /><br />Right now I'm driving my fishing partner nuts. I'm re-building (Stripped to bare studs inside and out) our house and getting paid for it.<br />He says I'm Unemployed also but I get a check for materials and labor every week so I don't care :D <br /> <br />Lets see 16-18 every type of job you can think of to keep a roof over my head.(by choice) Ca, Or, Wa, and turned 18 in Canada. Registered for the draft up there.. got drafted! :confused: How did that happen?? <br /><br />Next 14 years were in tactical communications (Army) then got out (1985) and stayed in communications, teaching and inspecting. Also (Navy reserves in same field) 1971-1991 total <br /><br />Marine business from 88-94 service, parts and then sales<br /><br />94-98 Shoe repair field. Outside sales route Or Wa and Id and bought a Shoe Repair business/ AL Bundy Shoe sales store. Took it from 20K (net) to 40K (net) second year to 70K (net) third year to 120K (net) in the fourth year. Not bad eh? <br /><br />Sold the shop in 98 and went into this Housy repairing stuff to learn how to do it. STILL Learning! My house has more mistakes than a welfare mother ;) But unlike kids, I've learned how to cover the mistakes up! LOL<br /><br />You asked! And its been kinda fun going through memory lane. But I must say this for Bassy<br /><br />Some where Bassy between 18 and 30 I did get my GED, then my HS diploma, and then my AA Degree.<br />Nothing great but its a start. So have faith in your kids (even if I think they are just a bunch of punks) But then so was I ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br />
Originally posted by roscoe:<br /><br /> Well, me and 8 friends made 63,364 imitation pizzas today.<br />That included packaging and casing of the finished pizzas.<br /><br />
Please, You just gotta explain that, or am I just dumb? :confused: <br /><br />Aldo
same questiom... thats a lot of pizzas

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Service tech for 9 stores of the largest resturant chain in the US. They break it, I fix it. Thanks to teenagers and new menu items I have good job security. <br /><br />Before that I was Building Maintenance Supervisior for a country club for 12 years.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like OBJ, I work for American Electric Power, and have enjoyed working for them for 32+ years. Unlike him, however, I work in Distribution Dispatching... when your lights go out and you call, we're the guys who analyze the immediate problems and dispatch the crews to get the lights back on. We're also responsible for the control of energy at the distribution level: 34.5kV and below. Started out as a lineman apprentice, obtained my journeyman certificate, 10 years later moved to Dispatching and have been there ever since. In 1999, I was made department supervisor, then last year after being placed on special assignment, I was 'demoted' (with a generous pay raise) to Sr. Coordinator. With a little luck and the Good Lord's help, I plan to retire before 2009.