What do you all thing about Yamaha dropping the years they are built!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: What do you all thing about Yamaha dropping the years they are built!

I really don't understand the mind set of a consumer not wanting an engine because it has been sitting around for a few months since it was made. Engines are not perishable tomatoes. They do not go bad because they have been sitting in a warehouse for a few months. Do consumers really want to pay more for engines? Every step a manufacturer takes to reduce their cost reduces the final cost to the consumer. If Yamaha thinks this will reduce the pipeline costs, then great. Anyone who doesn't like it should vote with their pocketbook and buy a Briggs & Stratton.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think the customer has a problem with a few months. A year, two or more now is a different story. Why should a customer have to pay the same price for an engine that's sat a year or more. That is not a new engine, that's likely an engine that will have some internal corrosion problems. An customer should be informed so they can make the decision if a year old engine is worth paying new prices for.

phatmanmike

Captain

i cant beklieve this has over 40 posts :eek:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I just spent 20 minutes composing yet another post on this topic. I just wiped it out and I am leaving this instead. <br /><br />You either get this or you don't. I know this isn't going to be a problem because I have dealt with it for the last 21 years. If "You" think it's a problem and Yamaha sucks because of it....Great! They are now a competitor and it just means more sales for me. :D

BillP

Captain

ECON 101...Where consumers "get it" is where they spend their $$$. It isn't about what dealers think.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

and I'll leave with this addition to BILLP's comment: It also isn't about what the dealer or manufacturer thinks is best for them and me! It's about what "I" thnk is best for me. As I said, I'm a skeptic and skeptics are a "hardsell". I'm done!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

In alio peduclum vides, in te ricinum non vides.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> if ya dont like a yamaha ,go buy a honda or a BRP. they clearly label the motor in plain english for year of manufacture :) . just go look at the label.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

The bottom line is that consumer trust will suffer. I can see them selling the(model X) engines they build in 2005 at the same price in 2010. Bull! This is just another way to bilk the buyer out of his $. If the engine doesn't have a production date stamped on it, I'm not buying it. If all the companies do away with stamping the production date on the engine, I'll row (at least I know what date I was manufactured).<br />Stalker

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

looks like your rowing. I dont know of any that are stamped, most all use a code. so maybe it could be a marketing stratagy for another company. time will tell :) .

StormRunner

Cadet

question is why wouldnt Yamaha put the manufacture date on tag? what benifit does it have? One reason to sell off older overstock outboards to unsuspecting buyers. Our Yamaha dealer leaves new outboards outside next to salt water marina all winter at -20 and all summer at +90 and shuffles them around with the fork lift once a week cause he dosnt have room. cylinders must condinsate and hoses fuel lines deteriorate. What about minor updates? Who wants an outboard that the manufacture never updates even with minor changes. If I'm a dealer I'm going to buy one big shippment today and sell those outboards as new for 5 years. I'll order now while my dealer cost is less and shipping is less than what it will be 5 years from now and still charge customer for new price. If dealer wants to reduce price and divulge model year to unsuspecting customer I'm ok with that. My insurance is based on what year outboard is not what serial number it has. how hard can it be to stamp the tag?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Did no one read the posts? They have the production year stamped on them. The only thing that has changed is the the engine will no longer say " 2006 model or 2007 model, etc." Every single engine will still have the production year stamped on it on a tag that will say "2006 or 2007, etc." The new tag will probably read as "(2006) Model xxxxxx". 2006 being the year the engine was assembled.

BillP

Captain

Knowing what production year the motor was assembled isn't the issue. Assembled in 2005 and sold as a 2007 is the issue. <br /><br />From the horse's mouth...<br /> <br /> "inventory control situation" and an "unnecessary burden" for dealers <br /><br /> Dyskow says, "The model year designator no longer brings significant benefit or advantage to the table for the consumer,"

phatmanmike

Captain

Assembled in 2005
ill try one more time...<br /><br />if its assembled in 2005, then its sold as a 2005. sheesh

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Apparently this is where we understand the press release differently. I understood this part differently than you:<br /><br />
All Yamaha engines will carry a label that identifies the month and year the model -not the engine itself- was produced. Presumably, Yamaha will still be able to track individual engines by their serial numbers.
My understanding of this is that the engine will be tagged with the year that particular model was introduced, not the year that particular engine was assembled. This and the rest of the press release reads to me as:<br /><br />The only date listed on the engine will be the date of that engine's model design, not the engine itself. The date of the engine will be decided by the date a dealer takes delivery of that engine, however this date will only be available by checking dealer papers or having Yamaha decipher the serial number for you (if they so choose to do). The customer does not know up front what year the engine is, was made or was delivered unless the dealer honestly and willingly discloses this info.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The problem is that the quote is not from Yamaha, but from some dork at Boat U.S. who has no clue as to what he/she/it is talking about. The engines themselves do have the year of manufacture on them. This topic was originally about a poorly written press release from Yamaha that led off with the headline, "Yamaha drops model years" That's not what they did. All that has happened is that the engines no longer say " 2006 or 2007 model" on a tag on the engine. THEY HAVE A MODEL YEAR! It is true that you are dependent on the dealer or Yamaha to honestly represent the year of the engine....Your kind of dependent on them to do that anyway. Do any of you naysayers have any idea how easy it would be to make up a phony ID plate? It happens. Crooked dealers will always rip off the public, floorplan company's and manufacturers. Look at what's happening right now with (new)cars out of Louisiana. <br /><br />As to this conspiracy of fear about engines being manufactured in one year and then sold years later as a current model...Oh please! You would be a lot better off worrying about that punk at McDonalds spitting on your burger than losing any sleep over this pretend issue. And that's what this really is. A pretend issue, about a non event, that is just not going to mean anything after I am done typing this. <br /><br />If any of you are so wrapped up in this that you can no longer distinguish between a real problem and this...nothingness, then don't buy a new outboard until after you have your attorney file suit to determine when every single part on the engine was made, assembled, imported, sold to the dealer and then looked at by you. <br /><br />If you don't like the change fine. You are intitled to your opinion just like me. Oh wait, I forgot, I'm a dealer. So what I know for a fact isn't important. At this point I'll be happy if some of you just stop repeating the same nonsencical crap about not being able to tell what the engine is. :p

phatmanmike

Captain

so, elvin, what year, EXACTLY, is the 225 tldi you're importing for me anyways??????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok<br /> I mounted an 06 F225 yam today. the only thing I noticed different was the 4th alpha character that used to be a year model code. however on the stbd bracket, like they have since about 99, was the month and year built tag, this one said o8/o6. the EPA tag also reflected the year of EPA comformity like about all other major gas burning non stationary equipment does. so my hats off to the dufus's at the boat rag nag, remind me to not give any credence to anything in that rag mag, and to yamaha for most likly a poor japanese translation :) . we call it jinglish. and if ya ask a jap a question they reply: why you need to know :) . I always suspected it but now I know, the boating world does have a national enquier type magazine.<br /> :)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Mike, The parts that will be used to build it will have been produced starting from 2003. It will probably be assembled in 2008. Imported in 2009. And sold to a dealer in 2010....Who will obviously keep it until 2015 and sell it as a 2016 model. ;)