What defines democratic and majority rule?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: What defines democratic and majority rule?

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Religious rituals at public events?<br /><br />I was beaten up when I didn't bow my head during a prayer at a high school football game, 12er. You call that "assemble and practice their faith in public"? I call that religious tryanny at a non-religious event in a non-religious setting.
<br />So was I, JB. I was beaten severely for not going to church once. I was beaten again when I refused to pray (outside in the van,of course). But then, so was Jesus himself. He even gave his life in a most hideously painfull way {the word is persicuted} for not going with the flow of the government,or the high priests in posistions of power atr the time.<br />Moral freedom, religous freedom, personal freedom are all vital and individual to everyone.<br />I'm just glad I still have the freedom to pray in public if I wish. What scares me is those who would deprive my rights to do so, as do those who would kill anyone who gets in thier way to killl me. I also want to ask for God's forgiveness for not giving-in to them,"turning cheeks", chosing to band with my brothers and fight instead.<br />And one thing to keep in mind; We are all human, and therfore, sinners. We are all capable of horrendous evil, regardless of faith,or religion. The trick is avoiding such sins. And NONE of us ever succeed. But some of us keep trying.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> I think JB is correct in pointing out that it is probably necessary to include 'morality' as well as 'religion' in the discussion in order to start to get to an understanding. I'd also add 'tolerance'. Unfortunately, the three terms aren't always highly correlated.
Amen. Therein lies the rub.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You make my point, Boomer. :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Christianity has to lose the idea that it is the only, or the true, source of morality.
So, JB, what do you offer up as a/the immutable source of morality? And if you tell me it is whatever you or your neighbor deem it to be, I will add that you are a poor student of history.<br /><br />And by the way, as unfortunate as your personal experience was, it had nothing to do with Christianity.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> I do not want to get rid of religion, religion is very important. What I want to get rid of is the influence it is having over the direction it is causing our society to go.... <br /><br />You want to get rid of the influence religion is having or the the abuses by specific individuals? <br /><br /><br />Every time I hear someone say our society is going to pot because of a lack of religion I want to just shake my head....We as man do the worst things imaginable for the sake of religion, so don't tell me that the non religious are killing this country. <br /><br /><br />We also do the worst things imaginable without religion, so don't go there Jason. I never said the non-religious are killing this country. What I said was the special interests are trying to impose their will on society by getting rid of those who choose to proclaim their religious beliefs.<br /><br /><br />I resent being lumped into a "minority" because I am not religious. I am not a minority, I am a free man who makes my choices based on my knowledge, moral, and ethical background.<br /><br /><br />Yes, Jason, you are a minority in this regard. More people are religious than those who are not.<br /><br /><br />Yeah, I don't want to live under a religious tyranny, none of us non-religious typs want to live like that. Get used to it, we are not going away, we are not converting, we are here to stay. <br /><br />You have made my point for us "religious types", thank you very much. We are not tyrants, nor are we going away. Get used to it.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Do we need a Religion Category? Honestly iboaters we need a bit of levity here. Life is too short, and winter is far too long. If I could Poof this I would simply because we all make our choices based on our desires. I smoke cigarettes, never deliberatly near anyone who doesn't smoke. Yet everyday I have somebody telling I will die. Duh! we all will. Go easy iboaters. :confused:

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Ditto JB and Jason, It's nice to see people that are able to think outside the box.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I think you may be lacking understanding of what my point is. I would like to see religious influence removed from the function of society. It is no different than dictatorship, it just comes in the guise of christianity. Our government, our progress should not be influenced by religion, period. Maybe you don't want to hear that, but that does not mean it it shouldn't be.<br /><br />You have made no point, or given no example of horrible large scale atrosities not based on religion. I am quite sure it exists, but lets face it, the Holocaust, Jim Jones, 9/11, Waco, etc, they all have religion as a core. <br /><br />Who says non-religious people are a minority? You? Do you have hard statistical numbers? Are you God? This is what pisses me off so much, the pious better that thou attitude that is exibited. While I respect the fact that you have a belief system, that does not mean that it exists for me. I am not in a minority if I don't believe in what the so-called majority believes in, I am not religious. It is no different in my mind than those who believe in aliens or the lottery. You do not get to say who is or is not a minority just becuase you have a hobby that involves a book and a building. That is called Arrogance.<br /><br />You know what, you're right, on an invidual level, there are a lot of religious people who are good, moral, upstanding citizens who care for others. Unfortunately, as a whole, large groupings of the devout can be single minded and intolerant to anything outside of their belief. This is the point I keep hammering my sore skull to the wall about with the religious. You want us non-religious to be open minded to God, but you refuse to accept anything outside of God. The hypocracy flows and flows. There are so many built-in safety nets in religion. Molest your neighbors daughter? Confess on Sunday! Steal a carton of cigarettes? Confess on Sunday! You can be arseholes but its okay because God forgives you. <br /><br />Me I don't have that luxury. If I am a deviant, I have to live with it. There is no diety to forgive me, I have to deal with it. My moral standard, in my opinion, is higher than a person who is religious. I have to look in the mirror every day and live with what I do. Consequently, I do everything in my power to lead a productive life that does not bring pain or harm to others. I am far more helpful and kind than a lot of religious people that I know, and that is unfortunate. How am I, a non-religous person, supposed to support a system like religion when it has so many followers that give it a bad name, and represent it so poorly? What does it matter anyway, God will forgive them all, so they can cheat on their wife, abuse their son, and be drunks. <br /><br />I have had so many people try to bring the word of God to me and fail, and the end result has always been the same. They say awful things, tell me I am a sinner, I will go to hell. I always have difficulty with that because who are they to tell me what will happen to me? Are they God? I usually just feel pity for their tiny narrow minds, they can't help it. If there is a God (I have never said there isn't, that would just as arrogant as saying there is a God), He will judge me on my life, not on how much time I spent in a building with a book. That is how I can go to bed every night, at peace with the knowledge that if I live a good life, the rest is out of my hands anyways, God or no. <br /><br />Just so you know, my family has always been Catholic, and it stopped at my mother, who raised us to belive in what we wanted to believe in. She experienced a lot of bad things by the hands of the religious, and realized that it was not the end-all of the world. We went through a bad spell when I was a child. living in a car, the works. It was churches, religious based food banks and charities that turned us away. Instead of helping the unfortunate, they only helped the unfortunate who just so happened to be of their religion. Its just another version of the "Old Boys Network". <br /><br />We did recieve help, and things got better, but it was no thanks to the church, who looked upon us like we were trash. It is those pitiful shallow tiny minded people who I direct my energy towards. I will always remember the nice clothes and expensive cars and the looks of contempt. Those who actually live by the good standards of religion get my respect, the rest can go rot. Maybe my opinions seem colored, but in fact my experiences are based on what really happens, not in the rosy fantasy land that most think religion is. <br /><br />I am done with this rant, only the open minded will ever understand....

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

From Jason:
You want us non-religious to be open minded to God, but you refuse to accept anything outside of God. The hypocracy flows and flows.
I couldn't have made a more true statement. Just one example: you really can't concede that the Earth is (way) more than a couple thousand years old?! :confused: :D <br /><br />This could go on and on (as it has in the past), but after a while, it becomes very apparent that no one can force those that refuse to look outside their way of thinking to do anything but refute any other way of thinking. I don't think there is a heaven after you die...but let me tell you what, I'd be happier than a pig in sh1t if there is an afterlife! I don't beleive it because it has not been proven...or even mildly supported by science for that matter. Everyone here laughs their azz off about muslims expecting 17 virg1ns. That is their belief just as the pearly gates are yours....but YOU are right and THEY are wrong? I say, hey...no one will know until they're dead will they? (and 17 virgins sounds pretty fun to me :D )<br /><br />ps....that last statement was a joke for anyone looking to call me immoral (even though it would be pretty sweet) :D

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't know how that got so long(?), but all I wanted to say when I started typing it was thank you to Jason and JB for speaking my mind!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

We Christians are used to persicution. We will deal with it EVERY TIME we are subjected to it.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I love the way this got twisted around into the religious are trying to force their will and beliefs on everyone.<br /><br />I am not what one would call devout. I believe, but I do not thump the Bible, nor do I condemn those who think differently than myself. What I criticize is those who, because they can't or won't accept the idea of a higher power, attempt to trivialize the concept.<br /><br />Jason, you seem to have issues that go far beyond organized religion but I won't debate that with you. I'm sorry you have such a negative view because I think most believers are no different than you or me in the way they go about their lives.<br /><br />One last point I will make is that the media does a great job in sensationalizing the scandals related to religion while largely ignoring the good that is done every second of every hour of every day. I'm as sickened as the next person when I hear about a priest molesting boys or see a huckster on TV bilking people out of millions. But those people are the exception not the rule. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, Jason.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />So, JB, what do you offer up as a/the immutable source of morality? And if you tell me it is whatever you or your neighbor deem it to be, I will add that you are a poor student of history.
And why not? If you mean to imply that religion is the immutable source of of morality, then I refer you to the attack of 9/11 on the infidels of the west, and of the turmoil and unrest in the middle east, largely because of religion.<br /><br />And what of those societies that do not share your religion?<br /><br />Truth is, society IS the source of morality. Either through direct input or representatives, society sets forth a set of rules that must be followed to be allowed to remain in that society. In our society, they are called laws. They must be followed or you are punished, and the punishment again is set forth by society.<br /><br />They may not coincide exactly with YOUR particular morals, but we are not held accountable to your particular morals either. Your morals do not dictate my actions. The morals set for by society dictate acceptable vs non acceptable behavior.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Prof, My view is not negative just because it doesn't agree with yours. I don't see my view as negative, just realistic. I would say 90 percent of my friends are religious. I respect them, I would not be their friend if they didn't live good solid lives. The fact that their lives are based on their religion is secondary. They have never tried to convert me, they have always been respectful of my position, they are open minded enough to know that if there is a God, than there can be other alternatives as well. Maybe I just choose to associate with truely enlightened people, I don't know. <br /><br />I do not trivialize the belief in God. In fact, I probably take that belief more seriously than a lot of those who do believe. There is a lot of power and responibility involved with religion and the belief in a higher power. If anyone trivializes it, it is the hucksters, the molesters, those who take advantage of their religion for person gain or to persecute others. Don't blame us non-religious types for the negative attention religion recieves, blame your own who choose to cast your religion in a bad light.<br /><br />I do agree that the media does an absolutely fantastic job of distorting everything. I try to avoid the media if at all possible, and instead focus on what I see with my own eyes. Sometimes I think if the media had its way, we would all be at each others throats. <br /><br />NYMinute is the truely wise one here though, we probably should throttle back on the heavyness. After all, the holidays are upon us and we don't need to be bickering over things we have no control over anyways. Cheers....

ebbtide176

Commander

<ding> end of round 1<br />.....<br />we need SBN to check the rule book for any violations next<br /> :D