What are these wires?

showstoppr88

Seaman
Hello everybody I've recently just purchased a boat that has an inboard Mercruiser 5.7 with a Mercruiser Alpha One on the outboard I noticed that there are two wires that are coming through to the outside and I don't know what they are or what they go to I also noticed on the right side I have a thick wire that points straight down I'm wondering if that's maybe to a previous depth finder or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you, as I type this I'm saying my pictures are too large so I'm going to adjust them and post them below

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use the little camera icon on the screen. just make sure your photos are smaller than 400k

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
that one pic of the black "wire" with the 3 holes, if that black wire is actually a black "hose/tube" its your speedometer tube

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I can only see that one pic.. if its NOT a hose/tube, then it is prolly depth finder.. but that is the only pic I can see

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
The "wire" on the right certainly seems to be the speedo tube, with the speedo fitting missing from the transom. The twin black wire looks like the trim limit switch wire. That's the black hockey puck device in the photo. Turn the leg to the right to expose it and the fixing screws.