Wellcraft transom repair Help

bytwnracer

Cadet
Re: Wellcraft transom repair Help

I have to agree this is great forum and I love the feedback I am getting. I will post more pics of completed work the 5 pics are just what the repair shop sent me.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you can, get them to give you the final layup schedule of the materials used for the transom install. It's a fair and not unusual question for a customer to ask. This would help us to assess what they did and the whether of not the cost was correct. From the pics, the quality of the gelcoat work looks good and the glass work is really hard to tell. The layup schedule and further pics would tell the tale. The price for Tear out and replacement seems fair especially for a reputable shop. I too would be much more comfortable with some fabric in the mix and they may well have done so. We really don't know for sure if that's not the final pic. Let us know what you find out. With a 125 hp motor I'd for sure want a little more beef to the transom than just CSM. Also I'd ask how the wood was attached to the outer skin of the boat.

bytwnracer

Cadet

Ok I just got a little update and its making me really nervous. I was told they used all csm and no cloth. I was told that what they have done is all guaranteed to be structurally sound and will have no problems. He says he does all transoms this way. He told me if I am not happy with the finished job for me just to pay for materials which comes out to $1000 and he would still honor the 8 year warranty. I am not out to get the cheapest job cause most of the time you get what you pay for. I am really lost and do not know what to do. Any advice what to do now? Boat is 100% complete just need to go pick it up. Money is not the issue I just dont want to go out to the bay and have to swim back to shore. SAFETY is number 1 for me. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Will he give you a layup schedule? How many layers of CSM? What was used to Attach Transom to Outerskin? What does Warranty cover for 8 yrs?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm fairly positive a reputable shop doesn't want you swimming for shore either. Hard to keep the doors open & the lights on when that gets around....

I wouldn't lose sleep just yet. Go take a look. You can stick your head under the splashwell & see what it all looks like. If he guarantees his work, he guarantees his work. Make sure it's in writing though.

If you get a sense that it's not right when you take a look. Take pix, and BEFORE paying for the work, post them here. WOG et al will let you know what they think. If it's not a money issue, be frank & ask if a few hundred would get the new work hit w/ a grinder, and a couple layers of 1708 laid up w/ tabbing to the hull sides & bottom. To keep a happy customer, and get to charge a little more, might be enough. They are probably working a back log, and you don't want to get waylaid now that the current work (as agreed) is done. That extra 1708 & etc wouldn't even be a full day's work for a repair shop's glass guy.

Would $500 be too much for piece of mind & confidence when you are on a lake & in open water?

Then ^^^ $3000 wouldn't sound high, IMO, for the work that's been done.

bytwnracer

Cadet

Will heim waiting give you a layup schedule? How many layers of CSM? What was used to Attach Transom to Outerskin? What does Warranty cover for 8 yrs?

He said they used 4 layers of csm im waiting on the layup schedule. Warranty is for anything transom related and all cost that occur due to transom failure. For example if boat takes on water due to transom failure and boat capsized they would pay for entire boat motor and gear.

jbcurt00

Staff member

What weight CSM?
3/4ounce
1oz
1.5oz
2oz

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind of plywood was used for the transom?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How many layers of the CSM are actually attached to the hull. I assume some were full layers covering the transom to waterproof it. If the wood was coated with Resin but not fully covered with CSM that's not correct or good. If there are 4 full graduated tabbings of 1.5 oz CSM onto the hull that might be adequate but IMHO not a good way to do it but as George says prolly get you on the lake in a safe manner. Still would like a detailed description of how the transom was installed an how each layer of CSM was layed down and attached to the hull.