Wellcraft transom repair Help

bytwnracer

Cadet
I had a rotton transom on a center console wellcraft 18' so I took it to a shop that my buddy had used before. They are just about done with it but I really dont know what to look for to make sure they have done a correct job. They have sent me some pictures that I was hoping someone could take a look at and see if they are doing a good job. They said the transom would have an 8 year fault free warranty. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Pics are on my photobucket.
Mobile Uploads Photos by bytwnracer | Photobucket

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wellcraft transom repair Help

The ablum shows to be private. We cant see the pics.

bytwnracer

Cadet

Sorry guys. I think I just fixed it you should be able to see pics.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Not sure about the picture but to me it looks like CSM was only used, and I don't see evidence of correct tabbing with 1708 or woven cloth.

20140115_113937_zpssnsdsskv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

IMHO, It doesn't look to great, kinda looks like only CSM was used on the transom, I would have expected to see some 1708 or WR on the inner surface. The gel repair on the corners looks pretty good as far as it is, needs some wet sanding and buffing. I'm sure it would last 8 years though that's not very long in the scheme of things.

bear_69cuda

Commander

This is what it should look like. See the tabbing with cloth.

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520105.jpg

bytwnracer

Cadet

I know nothing about how to fix transoms so thats why I took it to a professional shop with a good rating that a buddy used before but to me it just seems off and thats why I posted here. What should I ask them or what do you guys recommend me to do? Thank you.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Take the picture I just sent you and tell them to correctly tab the transom with WR or 1708 cloth. Chop Strand Mat (CSM) in not structural and will eventually fail, crack, water gets in, rot happens, then your back to square one... rotted transom.....

Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with cuda, cept I expect they won't do anything since it looks like its all covered up now and the cosmetic repairs are nearly finished. Care to share what it cost you?

bytwnracer

Cadet

I paid $2500 I got several estimates in the houston tx area and all were around the same price.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

To me that does sound like a fair price for what they did. Even though it isn't the best job IMHO again,,,,I still think you will easily get more than 8 years with a little care on your part.(heck, maybe even 20 years) Contrary to popular belief CSM does have some strength in it, the glass strands are much shorter than with biaxial or WR but the strength in CSM is omnidirectional unlike in just two directions and there is something good to say about that. Back a few years ago there was a boat company that didn't use any bidirectional material at all. The company name started with "Bay.....". I know this because I visited their plant and saw what they were doing. My company sent me to a seminar that included a "B" plant tour just because they wanted to see how they could sell a boat for so much less money than we could and make any profit. They didn't have any boats that failed because of lack of strength as far as I know, but their manufacturing methods allowed for a lot of rot if not well taken care of. If it was me I would just enjoy the boat and think I got a decent and pretty fair deal.

bytwnracer

Cadet

I agree and thank I got a fair price my only concern is strength and not having to repair transom every few years. I love this hull and will continue to fix it even though its probably not worth it to most people. I called the guy this morning and he told me the pics he sent me were not of the completed project but just random shots taken as they were working just to give me little updates as to were they were at on that day. Since he is almost done with it he said for me to let him finish it and if I had any concerns he would address them then. He also said if anything was not structurally sound he would repair it free of charge. I am thinking I will have to probably take it to a surveyor and get there opinion on it. I will post more pics here of completed boat which should be done today. Thanks for everybody's help.

jbcurt00

Staff member

IMO, you probably got what you paid for.

And that's ^^^ not a dig. $2500 w/ demo, structural transom work, putting the splashwell back on, blending the gunwall/splashwell repair on the topside, exterior prep work, respray w/ matching gelcoat (right? NOT paint?) and a cut & buff to make the gelcoat glossy & match the rest sounds like a pretty good price.

I suspect you paid less then some typically do & got a better repair then some too. We've seen many examples of shoddy repairs that cost much more. I would not call your boat's repair work shoddy, poor workmanship, or over priced.

bear_69cuda

Commander

What motor is hanging off your boat?

I'm not trying to be negative, and agree $2500 for everything seems fair, but I still don't think it's great work.. It's a decent job... Did they inspect the stringers? Rot tends to spread from the transom to the next thing in line... If you love the boat and plan on keeping forever the time to make it right is now... It is possible the stringers are fine...

Looks like a cool rig! I have a center console myself!

bytwnracer

Cadet

Yes stringers were throughly checked since that was a huge concern for me was the rot spreading. Stringers were fine. I also agree now is the time to make sure everything on it is correct.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not trying to be negative, and agree $2500 for everything seems fair, but I still don't think it's great work.. It's a decent job...

This ^^^ is exactly why I like this site over others online. It's extremely difficult to assess stuff remotely via the internet w/ limited pix. The more opinions offered, the better, IMO. And what 1 may 'see' or comment on, another might not have. Just like hanging out in the garage w/ a couple of buddies.

Since the boat was already at the repair shop, and nearly complete, I wouldn't have asked the stringers & etc. Good point Bear.