Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

All The screws were stainless and the staples were galvanized, i don't know if i will do the long pieces myself or not because I'm thinking i want to go with a shade darker blue but if i do the long pieces i will surely get some kind of stainless or more durable staples. The old staples weren't stainless and they lasted this long:D but the condition was a little negotiable. I don't think it was a bad attempt for my first upholstery job

rickryder

Commander

The staples will rot....plain galvanized won't work with PT .....just sayin! They look good tho ;)

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ricky! I was pretty proud when i did it last night. I just checked my resin coated stringers and they were still tacky. I coated them around 5:30 pm today. Should they still be tacky? i moved them so the morning and afternoon sun will hit them tomorrow but i thought they would have been less tacky by now. Its been 75-80 degrees all afternoon

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive been sitting here looking at the stringers in the boat and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to lay down my pb. If i put my stringers in the boat with spacers underneath them it doesn't seem like i would have enough room to get my pb under there. my spacers are about 1/8 of an inch. It just doesn't look like theres enough room to get an adequate amount of pb underneath. I was thinking i could lay down some pb without the stringer in place and then set it down in the pb and smooth out the excess. Has anyone tried doing this or am i just over thinking the process?

rickryder

Commander

You can do it that way lay a bead of PB or you could set stringers on 1/4" spacers,secure the stringers with 1x strips across the tops,run full tabbing on the inside of the stringer,let them kick off and set up....Pull spacers.... Pump the PB under the stringers via ziploc bag and smooth with a spoon to make your fillet....You can force the PB under the stringer with the spoon. ;) Then you can lay up your tabbing on that side.. That was my schedule on the Four Winns

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When you say you coated all those pieces in resin, are you planning on covering them with CSM as well? Poly resin with out Mat is not good. It will harden and eventually crack, allowing water penetration. I would recommend Using RR's plactic baggy method to lay down a bead of PB leaving some gaps for the spacers ( you only need 3 spacer per stringer). Set the stringer and do a couple of tabs. In 15 mins you can pull the spacers and go to town on finishing them.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to wrap the whole stringer in cam after its pb in the boat. I have some empty caulk gun tubes i can fill and use, it just doesn't seem like theres any space at all, just a small trickle of daylight shines through. So your saying put my spacers down, and run a bead of pb, set the stringer in the bead and tab it into place?

rickryder

Commander

You can lay a bead of PB on the hull leave 3 gaps for the spacers,set spacers, sit stringer in PB and tab in a few spots....in 15 minutes when it all starts to kick/ set up you can pull spacers and finish PB in the gaps and tab in the stringers with csm strips....then you can lay up full csm stringer to hull....wait till it kicks off and sets ....15 20 minutes....then biax lay up....

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think thats what I'm going to do. It seems too difficult to space tab and then pb. Would there bee any advantage to using a finish nailer to hold things in place instead of tabbing?

rickryder

Commander

I tacked my stringers and bulk heads together and tabbed them to the hull then PB ed them....it's really not that hard....

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think tacking it will make it easier. I feel like i need a third hand right now and my dad is super busy so I'm flying solo right now. I mixed my first pb today, it was pretty fun actually. I used it on a stringer that sits next to the motor mount so tabbing it in place wasn't necessary. I just ran a thick layer of it on the hull and set the stringer in place. I used the metal spoon trick to smoot it all out and it worked like a charm. Heres the result:
IMG_0373.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thought i would give you guys today's update. I mixed up some major pb and got my main stringers set in. It turned out great. Im loving working with this stuff, it truly is a blast haha or maybe just the resin is getting to me

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man your not messin around the map from the old stringer grid sure is helpin out with the new layout.Are you gonna drill any limber holes oin the bottoms of the stringer for water drainage into the bilge?

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think I'm going to try and solve the age old problem of trying to keep water out of the foam. I'm drilling holes in all my bulkheads from the front in front of the gas tank and all the way back to drain into the bilge but that will come later today. Most people have said that the foam today is a lot different from the old foam and wont absorb water so I'm just going to keep the stringers like they are. I will be plumbing my lines from the deck boxes in the bow. i believe that is how the rot may have started. The box on the port side drained right next to the foam underneath the passenger seat and the hole was all plugged up so i think it just held water. The deck box on the starboard side drained right onto the deck and thats where the most rot was... imagine that. Im not going to over engineer by drilling limber holes but some things are definitely going to change and i think it will help. This morning I'm going to meet elizabeth off of swamp people:D but as soon as thats over i will be back to mixing up some good o'l pb. hope to get all my stringers pb'ed in today so that tomorrow i can get to glassing in my stringers. Im tired of seeing boats going down the road going to the river and the lake. its time to get this sucker splashed!!

Friscoboater

Captain

I am not sure how much farther you have gotten, but I would be doing a lot more grinding if I was you. Down in the grooves there looks to be old material sell there, and noting will stick to it. I have to feather mine way out to get to fresh glass. Take it for what it is worth, but I made that mistake before.

rickryder

Commander

Frisco is correct.... Be sure your down to good clean glass before you go with any more layup....

With your limber holes....if you pour in foam you will need some kind of passages for the water to follow....

I put holes at the rear of my stringers in front of the bilge bulkhead and thru the bulkhead into the bilge....I did not use pour in foam just blue board insulation standing on end so there were gaps under the foam to let water out.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

The glass is actually pretty clean. I've been vacuuming and scrubbing down with acetone pretty good before i pb. The lighting in the pic makes it look dirty and the boat is right next to sand and thats where I'm mixing my resin so it gets dirt in there fast. Frisco did you put limber holes in your stringers also?

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

MAJOR progress made today boys! I don't know what got into me but i was spreading peanut butter for almost 8 hours today. I got all, i repeat all of my stringers pb'ed in today and started on my fillets! I pulled the boat out into the sun and by the time i would get my next batch of pb mixed up, the stuff i layer down was already hard! Its amazing what a little heat can do to speed up your process and boy was it hot. I think that fiberglass hull is like a big oven. Heres some eye candy of todays work:

IMG_0388.jpg

Does anyone know where i can get a new mounting plate for my trim pump? Years of sitting in wet carpet has mine looking pretty bad, the mounting holes are rusted off.
IMG_0384.jpg

rickryder

Commander

Mine was the same way..... I bolted 2 pieces of angle aluminum to it to create new bottom flanges ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

You are flying through the stringer assembly. Nice work :cool:

I have just started to dig the rotted wood out of my boat and it looks like it won't be warm enough around here to do fiberglass work for a few more weeks.