Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Thanks wood thats a big help I'm going to try and do all the motor service while I'm waiting on my fiberglass to get in since i got all my grinding done today!!!! Wahoo no more itch for me!!!:D Now all i need to do is clean her up, cut the deck out which shouldn't be a big issue and get ready to start glassin! And ricky no i don't have the service manual, but i had a link for one and i lost the link. Thanks for the help, now how about some pictures of my 12+ hours of grinding from the last two days...
IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, any opinions on whether or not those motor mounts look factory? the only reason i ask is because my cousin told me they had the deck redone a while back, but i really don't think it was true. I just don't remember my uncle having any work done to the boat when he owned it.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

What type of oil does everyone typically use in the lower unit? Also i need some help finding the manual for the engine, i found one for the sterndrive but I'm having no luck with the motor. Its an 89 model mercruiser v6, i don't know if its a 3.0 or a 4.3, ect... the number on top of the motor reads 6269732. Can anyone help me a service manual for this motor?

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the drill pump any good? How much oil does the lower unit take?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is the pump I was talking about. You have both upper and lower plugs removed and the drive as level as possible. Insert pump filler tube in the Lower hole. Should take about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 qts.
21AetGU6CDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't see that one on the website but it does look less complicated to use, hopefully i can find a similar one locally

Not much progress was made today. We received 3 inches of rain so i decided to stay indoors, but i did manage to clean the spark arrestor and polish it
IMG_0324.jpg

Maybe the polish job will give me a little extra horsepower boost haha it looks faster at least

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I said in my previous post 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 qts. I have no experience with the drill pumps for Stern Drives.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry wood didn't see your post

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Walmart sells the good merc.drive fluid and the pump pictured above. You don't really need a driven pump to fill the drive, hand pump works pretty fast.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

i might try going by wall mart this afternoon. I hate that place but it might be worth a shot. I also went by a boat dealership monday and i really liked the people there and the prices were good so i might try there to if wally world doesn't have it.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i might try going by wall mart this afternoon. I hate that place but it might be worth a shot. I also went by a boat dealership monday and i really liked the people there and the prices were good so i might try there to if wally world doesn't have it.

I don't care for it either. I am self employed and work long hours. Walmart being open 24/7 finds me there often. A plus is best price for merc fluid and Mobil 1 oil.
Not sure where you are, but if in the south, Academy has an amazing boating section and is open late.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Academy usually has the best prices around here (I'm in SE Texas) and i probably should have gone there $32 bucks for 2 qts of oil and the pump YIKES!! 10 dollars a quart for the oil, hopefully i don't have to replace it to often

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Last time i saw the high perf lube in a marine dealer it was like $18.00 per quart. I hate walmart but ill go there to pay $10.00 per quart.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Castrol gear lube $3.00 a qt, And the pump @ Menards $8.00 . Have'nt tried the pump yet.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Castrol gear lube $3.00 a qt, And the pump @ Menards $8.00 . Have'nt tried the pump yet.

So you put $3.00 a quart castrol gear lube in a mercruiser outdrive ??

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

i Don't think i would put castrol in my lower unit. Not that i know much about boats but the quicksilver i bought looks like good stuff. I replaced the oil today, it was a cake walk with the pump and you were right on the money wood, 1 1/4 qts, thanks for the help. the oil that came out looked pretty bad. i don't think it had been changed in a good while, but there wasn't any metal flakes in it so thats a good sign at least. Just trying to stay positive, now all i need to do is change the motor oil, the oil in the trim pump, and get new fuel lines, and the motor should be good to go. Hopefully a startup video will be posted soon.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

update: took the prop off and greased the shaft, to my surprise there was actually grease still on it! This lower unit has been a breeze
IMG_0334.jpg

Try not to be too envious of my 5 blade in the background:p

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yes I paid $3.00 a quart for Castrol and used about 11/2 bottles. And I also refuse to get into a debait on oils !