War movies

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: War movies

I didn't see "Bridge on the river Kwai" A real favorite of mine.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

My dad never watched a war movie, he lived it. Tanker, WWII. Pattons third army. Would not watch tv , go to a movie about war and quit hunting. Died with shrapnel still in him at 73. Purple heart 3 stars. PFC. No hero, just another statistic.

Realgun

Commander

Flying Tigers- my all time Fav with John Wayne of course. :D He did quite a few war movies I like most of them.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Dern Pointer, ya beat me to it! "Bridge over The River Kwai" is very moving. Although all the rest I have to say are excellent choices.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Telmanmn,<br /><br />Don't agree. Your Dad was a hero. They were all heros.<br /><br />Some got extra recognition for extraordinary deeds, but the ordinary GIs won the war in Europe; in tanks, in foxholes, in bombers.<br /><br />They didn't think they were heros, but they served in an Army of heros.

PW2

Commander

I'm suggesting it is the best ever, but it is good and has not neen mentioned yet and should be:<br /><br />"Das Boot"<br /><br />I am also partial to "The Deer Hunter" but it is too intense, and I tried to sit thru it again and could not make it thru to the end...

PW2

Commander

OOPS--I meant to say that I was *not* suggesting that Das Boot was the best ever...