War movies

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: War movies

The Lost Battalion (WW I Movie) was good.<br />Band of Brothers was great.<br />The Dambusters (a favorite due to my love of explosives) Force 10 from Navarone (my favorite Dam explosion) HMMMMmmmm I am starting to see a pattern with my logic. :D <br /><br />Platoon - that movie gives me a strange feeling due to the language and the time... reminds me of when I first entered the Army.<br /><br />Casualties of War not bad for Viet Nam

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya, I forgot about Force Ten, and Guns at Navarone, real good flicks, also some real good ones I forgot:<br />Von Ryan's Express,<br />The Battle of The Buldge,<br />Harts War,<br />Windtalkers,<br />We Were Soldiers<br /><br />Spud

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think I'll make a list off of this post. Lotta good names have been posted here. All of them good.

Skinnywater

Commander

JB wrote of the "Band of Brothers";<br />
Nothing else I have seen or read so powerfully tells why they were the greatest generation from the greatest country.<br />
For those that haven't seen it, it's a must see.<br />If I remember it correctly, a solgier asks how they could possibly go on and survive. The sergeant says, "You have to realize, you're already dead".

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I actually found a book about war movies. There's lots that are 'lost'. Being a warbird nut I tend to pay more attention to movies with good aircraft shots. Last year I saw "The Hunters" with Mitchum and Robert Wagner for the first time. They were F86 jocks. Some of the best air to air and ground to air filming I have ever seen. Also the commies were flying F84F Thunderjets. <br /><br />Another Korean war film was about an artillery spotter squadron in Taylorcraft or 180 Cessna's [ I forget the military designation, L42 maybe? ] The most awesome thing was the 'commies' were flying P51H Mustangs painted grey. Extremely rare aircraft.<br /><br />Battle Hymn, P51Ds and Bearcats.<br /><br />Battle of Britain. Spits, Hurries, Hispano "ME109s" and spanish HE111's [ both Merlin powered ].<br /><br />I recently acquired some rare military history books and one has GRAPHIC descriptions and photos of the aftermath of WWII airbattles. The horror is indescribable. It is no wonder the actual witnesses that survived do not want to discuss it. One man told of seeing a ball turret falling through the sky with the gunner [ alive ] still inside. And that is not the worst. That they went back day after day speaks volumes for the American fighting man.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I see I have lots of movies to rent. Is "Band of Brothers" available at Blockbuster and places like that? Also "Andersonville" sounds like one I would be interested in. What year did that come out Crab Bait? Thanks for all the great recommendations.

D

DJ

DR,<br /><br />I'm pretty positive that a "Band of Brothers" is available only to purchase.<br /><br />As mentioned, you might check ebay.

crab bait

Captain

D-RAT.. i don't think it ever hit the big screen.. <br /><br />it's not new ,, but not old ,either..<br /><br />GODS & GENERALS was a good slow brew civil war movie .. that showcased 'stonewall' jackson

D

DJ

Good call, by SW, on "In Harms Way". Tough to find, but worth it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lots of good suggestions.<br /><br />Might add "The Red Badge of Courage" and "To Hell and Back" to the list.<br /><br />Murphy wasn't a great actor, but he was one of the best soldiers ever.

SoulWinner

Commander

Band of Brothers<br />In Harms Way<br />Patton<br />The Dualist<br />Gods and Generals<br />Dr Strangelove<br />The Big Red One<br />The Boys from Company C<br />Apocalypse Now<br />A Bridge Too Far<br />Empire of the Sun<br />Shenandoah<br />Gallipoli<br />Sergeant York<br />Destination Tokyo<br />Enemy at the Gates<br />Flying Leathernecks<br />Guadalcanal Diary<br />Hart's War <br />Lifeboat<br />They were Expendable <br />Why We Fight <br />The Deer Hunter <br />Platoon<br />On the Beach <br />Red Dawn <br />Casa Blanca<br />Rough Riders<br /><br />Whew, that's all I can think of for now.<br />Starship Troopers<br />Star Wars<br />Run Silent, Run Deep<br />Das Boot<br />Schindler's List<br />Heaven Knows Mr Allison

oddjob

Commander

Hears some others:<br /><br />Bat 21<br /><br />Forest Gump "Big Bubba"<br /><br />African queen<br /><br />Rob Roy<br /><br />John Wayne and the fighting SEABEES! he,he<br /><br />Tora!Tora! Tora!<br /><br />The great Escape<br /><br />Hogans Heros?<br /><br />The last Mohican<br /><br />The dirty Dozen<br /><br /><br />OK some were repeats<br /><br />...How about the War movies John F'ing Kerry made?....that was a hoot! :D

aspeck

Staff member

Hogan's Heros, but then again, "I know noo-sink, NOO-SINK!" ;)