want to put an aux.gas motor in front of pontoon

toppyblue

Cadet
I am considering putting a 5 hp motor tiller steer in the front deck of a pontoon. My idea is that it would serve as a troller and spare kicker.I would need to cut the deck frame and box in an area to mount the motor.The plan is to install some type of hydraulic or electric lift to raise and lower the motor.When not in use, the motor would be covered with a box used for whatever.Since the small outboard is a four stroke it would need to raise straight up and down.

Anyone done this or have ideas?? Thanks GaryD

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: want to put an aux.gas motor in front of pontoon

Sort of like reinventing the wheel aint it, its called a electric trolling motor

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do realize the tiller handle is going to point forward "away" from you rather than inward (toward) the boat. So how do you intend to run this motor with with a cover over it? You could of course shift the motor into reverse but if you ever looked at an outboard prop you should be able to tell that it is not very efficient in reverse.

toppyblue

Cadet

Thanks for the input..I guess i will buy an electric outboard and generator(110 volt) that is strong enough to troll at a reasonable speed and serve as a backup for the big motor.Trolling is defined for me as pulling bait/lures behind the boat which would make 12 volt motors too weak and limiting...We had a deep lake in Thonotosassa Fla.(lake Thonotosassa) where bass were caught high speed trolling with deep lures. No wimpy bass boat 12 or 24 volt trolling motor would serve this purpose. Seriously, I want to do this and would appreciate any constructive help.

Pantharen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input..I guess i will buy an electric outboard and generator(110 volt) that is strong enough to troll at a reasonable speed and serve as a backup for the big motor.Trolling is defined for me as pulling bait/lures behind the boat which would make 12 volt motors too weak and limiting...We had a deep lake in Thonotosassa Fla.(lake Thonotosassa) where bass were caught high speed trolling with deep lures. No wimpy bass boat 12 or 24 volt trolling motor would serve this purpose. Seriously, I want to do this and would appreciate any constructive help.

Get a Torqeedo Torqeedo, electric outboards, outboard motor, boat motors, boat engines, outboard engines probably the best electric outboard ever designed. They're not wimpy like the Minn Kota.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya know I thought about doing something like this, but in the end you look at what your going to be spending and the amount of time and speed you'll lose with the waves splashing up on it and slowing you down....is it really worth it???

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Nobody puts a motor on the front of a pontoon boat.

There are a number of trolling motors designed to install on the front end of pontoon boats, and they pull up on the deck when not in use. And some are 24 volts, and very strong. They also have the long shafts required to get into the water.

Some people also use trolling motors to maneuver around tight spots when docking.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Again -- why not use the main engine if you are trolling at high speed?

toppyblue

Cadet

Nobody puts a motor on the front of a pontoon boat.

There are a number of trolling motors designed to install on the front end of pontoon boats, and they pull up on the deck when not in use. And some are 24 volts, and very strong. They also have the long shafts required to get into the water.

Some people also use trolling motors to maneuver around tight spots when docking.

Thanks for the input so far??? I guess nobody has done it (yet).I am going to do it! The advantage of having a nice 4 stroke trolling speed and backup motor outweigh the naysayers. I have the motor(like new 2006 5hp nissan).I can build the box and cut/reinforce the deck supports.The point to me asking for ideas/help is to solve the problem of "how to" raise and lower the motor easily..I can imagine a crank handle on the side of the box connected to a plate that raises and lowers the motor,,or an electric / hydrauic lifting rig.The motor would be connected to the plate and slide up and down.Hydraulic jack plates do not have enough lift and are very expensive.some of my ideas are:
1. a pulley system hooked to a simple crank handle like the winch on a boat or anchor type crank.
2. car windows go up and down easily and are controlled with an up down switch.(electric motor)
3. hydraulic system hooked straight to the plate.

Again , I really am not seeking advice not to do it, was hoping someone would have productive ideas for simply raising and lowering the engine straight up and down(not tilting)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey toppy - How big is your toon? And what type of trailer do you have? Depending on the trailer you might have to raise the motor pretty high to clear the trailer.

And like you said, trolling is done by pulling bait/lures behind the boat. Usually that means you are at the stern watching the rods and lines for strikes. Have you figured out controlling and steering the motor up front from the stern?

A couple of pics of the boat might help visualize your ideas.

And like you said, trolling is done by pulling bait/lures behind the boat. Usually that means you are at the stern watching the rods and lines for strikes. Have you figured out controlling and steering the motor up front from the stern?

I think this is why someone suggested one of those trolling plates

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I saw a guy one time who had a square hole in the center of his pontoon boat. In it was a 90 HP Mercout board. He had made a work boat out of it and the way it was set up he could do a 360 any time he wanted. Great for docking. and small channels.

toppyblue

Cadet

Hey toppy - How big is your toon? And what type of trailer do you have? Depending on the trailer you might have to raise the motor pretty high to clear the trailer.

A couple of pics of the boat might help visualize your ideas.

It is an 18 foot basstracker fishing toon has 4 pedestal seats,,no furniture.I figured about a two foot lift would work fine. As for the trolling from bow and the main engine raised,,a slight left turning troll would work fine on lakes,,rivers would not work,,but how many toons fish in small rivers?

Thanks for the thoughts

Jeep Man

Commander

Seems like an idea that is not well thought out. But.....If you are intent in cutting up your deck, I would suggest cutting a hole in the center nearer to the rear and build a lift to raise the motor when not in use. This way you have control from the front of the motor, the motor is running primarily in the forward position and you are near the motor when trolling.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah i'd really REALLY suggest thinking this one through. This is one of those type of projects that once you do one thing then your almost stuck with it. If you ever do decide you don't like it then your going to have to re-do your decking, furniture, rails, lights, etc. Just one big pain in the but in my opinion just for trolling....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You still haven't mentioned how you plan to actually steer this motor since the tiller handle, throttle, and shift controls will be pointing forward and hence, away from you and covered by a box. Seems to me this is bigger hurdle than how to lift the motor. The fact that you actually have the motor does not mean this is an ideal application for it. Nobody is trying to talk you out of this. You asked for ideas. With ideas comes questions. If you have a plan for steering, throttle and shift control, then this is something we no longer need to consider. So far though, that question has not been answered.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is an 18 foot basstracker fishing toon has 4 pedestal seats,,no furniture.I figured about a two foot lift would work fine. As for the trolling from bow and the main engine raised,,a slight left turning troll would work fine on lakes,,rivers would not work,,but how many toons fish in small rivers?

Thanks for the thoughts

Asked

Unanswered so far except for this - "a slight left turning troll would work fine on lakes". :confused: Are you planning on just making big wide turns in the middle of the lake? I think motor control is still the primary thing to address.

A 5 hp tiller motor can just be unclamped and tossed on the deck with no need for any lifting contraptions.