want to put an aux.gas motor in front of pontoon

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: want to put an aux.gas motor in front of pontoon

Make sure you have a measured drawing before you start this, I have found if you can't get it on paper with measurements and every detail you more than likely won't be able to build it either.

This first real obstacle I see is the spacing between the cross members is only 24'' so you would need to cut at least one to have enough room to do this so you will need a welder and extra cross member material to reinforce that area and to do it right you will need to tear the boat down.

Second have some one run your boat and you carefully stick your head under the front of the deck and watch what goes on under there, that should help you plan where to put the extra engine.

There are a ton of things that cold do wrong here and you will end up with a hacked up boat so plan very very carefully, as I said , every detail on paper BEFORE you start.

For the record I have been building pontoons for 26 years, never seen anything like you are describing though.

Get up pics, I want to see this build.

suneshop

Seaman

To raise and lower motor with some creative engineering you might be able to use a Linear Actuator.

BMCtoon

Recruit

Re-think this idea? What a great idea. I want to do the same thing. They sell a 20" 2.5 and 5 HP motor right here on IB.
it has a 360 swivel mount with an integral tank. I want a vertical steering wheel straight off the top(welded brackets). high enough to clear the top of my rail.(32-36") probably like an old bus wheel so it is big enough to radius the deck edge. forward reverse, sideways. The motor can slide up straight up in the mount and lock in the up position. These folks don't have a lot of ingenuity around here. This would be a great little lake troll and an emergency (Get Home) or at least keep me off the rocks in the bay. (Tomales Ca.) whaahoo crab for everyone. Good luck with yours poster and good fishin-if that's what ya do. 18" custom Toon- Cause it aint what ya got. its what you make.
<------------That there post # should read 19243 and Vice----uhh president yah- I aint no recruit!

Last edited:

suneshop

Seaman

What motor or model # or how do I find these.I looked but did not see them. It sounds interesting.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Scroll to the top of the page and look at the far right of the iBoats band. See the engine block with the title BOAT MOTORS? Click it.
While there has been lots of discussion about how to lift and lower the engine, we till haven't seen any discussion on three other important aspects of how this engine will be steered, shifted, and throttled! And by the way -- nobody is trying to talk you out of this. Everybody is trying to provide "insight" and "suggestions" about things you may not have thought about. One thing that comes to mind is that you butcher a perfectly good 'toon only to abandon the project leaving you with something that nobody wants.

JeepinGunGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

in my search to find a way for my wife to lift the main motor on my new to me toon. I was looking at trailer tongue jacks, they run on 12v and can lift much more than you need in a very compact package.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda had a thought about putting a kicker on the front of my pontoon yesterday around beer thirty. so I hope you try it, just don't do anything irreversible. I have a air cooled clinton that might be able to turn the lower unit around, might.

toppyblue

Cadet

in my search to find a way for my wife to lift the main motor on my new to me toon. I was looking at trailer tongue jacks, they run on 12v and can lift much more than you need in a very compact package.

Thanks for the idea/suggestion. Someone thinking about what I need! Great!