Requesting sage advice on 90 horse problem

flagator1

Cadet
Hi all,

last Sunday my 1996 90 Johnson dies right as I was starting to load it on the trailer (super lucky). Engine would turn over no problem but would not start. The only thing of mention I noticed was it would idle a bit faster, for a few seconds, when I was flushing the motor on Saturday. Other than that the motor ran perfect all day Saturday and Sunday.
Batteries are in good condition and are charged every trip. Motor is flushed every trip and motor serviced every year. New plugs were added three months ago.

Had the boat mechanic out today and he felt it could only be three things that had failed.
1. "A laser sensor" which he replaced. Problem not fixed.
2. "A bad power pack" which he replaced. Problem not fixed.
3. A diaphragm on vro pump that was allowing to much oil in. This was not the problem.

After these two failed fixes, to the tune of $456.00, he measured the voltage coming from the stater and it was very low (5 volts). We are in the process of ordering a new stater tomorrow.

I can help fix people but motors I know nothing about. I pose these sophomoric questions those of you that do.

1. Mechanic stated the low voltage can kill a power pack? Is this correct? I understand high but low voltage?
2. Is there any way to check to see if the sensor is still good?
3. Is it possible the stater died and the other parts are still ok?
4. Any suggestions on what to check next?

I have been a boat owner for many years, so I am not wining about the "hole in the water within which to pour money concern" just do not want to toss out good parts I might need later.

Thanks for your input

Mark

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Requesting sage advice on 90 horse problem

umm where did you acquire this 'mechanic'?

rules for combustion, gas, spark, air.

checking spark first is the most rudimentary inspection of all.

after that, from your description, i'd of checked gas...are you getting gas?
did u run out?. motors will speed up as they lean out (out of gas)...

just a thought.

flagator1

Cadet

In reply,

gas tank was half full, bulb was solid when I checked to see if it was getting gas. Mechanic has worked on this boat over the last four years with good results.

Thanks for the reply

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You need to do some basic trouble shooting, your mechanic will fix it eventualy, but at what cost? anyone can start replacing parts one after the other and fix it at some time during these swaps (as long as you keep paying for the parts)

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok then, lemme try again.

1. yes.
2. yes.
3. yes.
4. do your own analysis.

It is exceedingly difficult to attempt to provide valuable insight when your not the one performing the work. There are likely many steps your mechanic has taken that you are not aware of, which would have us unable to assist since that basic information is unavailable from you.