WallyWorld SuperTech 2-Cycle Oil

sort

Seaman Apprentice
Someone tell me that this relatively inexpensive outboard oil is OK to use. It seems that the price differential between a gallon of the Supertech outboard 2-cycle engine oil versus any of the manufacturers oil is way to great. Either the manufacturers are really ripping off the public or Wallyworld really beat down an oil manufacturer in cost to sell mega gallons of this stuff. <br /><br />It has the NMMA TC-W3 rating so it at least is good enough to pass those tests but is it really good to run this bargain oil in an engine that in my case cost $12,000 to replace (Yamaha 250 Saltwater)???<br /><br />OK oil guys, let me have both barrels for even opening up this can of worms.... :)

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WallyWorld SuperTech 2-Cycle Oil

I'm not one of the "oil guys", but if you can afford one of the 12K range engines, why bother with the 10cent oil :confused: :confused: :confused:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in a dfi or efi motor run what is reccomended<br /> my old VRO 1985 120 OMC gets a steady diet of the wally world oil. has since I put a piston in it in 95.<br /> its a big toss up. if your only using a couple gallons a year cost is no problem.

18rabbit

Captain

I don’t know but I speculate you are correct; if it has NMMA certification the major differences will be in additives, if any. Oil as a lubricant never looses its lubricating property and the refining of oil is standardized. If it’s anything like motor oil, the difference in additives are insignificant. Fwiw, any certified motor oil is good in your car for at least 20,000 miles between changes.<br /><br />If you can catch Lubedude’s attention he would be the one to weigh in on this.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I use it with no problems. At 24:1 thats all I can afford. No, price is no object but I've read alot of good stuff on these forums about "Super Tech".

LubeDude

Admiral

OK, lets see how far this one goes???<br /><br />
Originally posted by karrick:<br /> I'm not one of the "oil guys", but if you can afford one of the 12K range engines, why bother with the 10cent oil :confused: :confused: :confused:
I have to agree with this statement.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

There isn't a hell of a lot of refineries out there, and believe me...WW has pricing power that will make your head spin. But on a new Yam 250 salt, I might just want to use what the manufactuer says...send them an email and see what they think!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> I don’t know but I speculate you are correct; if it has NMMA certification the major differences will be in additives, if any. Oil as a lubricant never looses its lubricating property and the refining of oil is standardized. If it’s anything like motor oil, the difference in additives are insignificant. Fwiw, any certified motor oil is good in your car for at least 20,000 miles between changes.<br /><br />
Now, this statement needs some work.<br /><br />Yes, the base stock may last a long time, but the additives will deplete in between 5.000 and 10,000 miles, you need to really know what oil you are using to know which ones will last. The only way I know of is an oil analysis. 20,000 Is Way out of the question with a regular engine oil, Some synthetics wont even do it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by cajun555:<br /> I use it with no problems. At 24:1 thats all I can afford. No, price is no object but I've read alot of good stuff on these forums about "Super Tech".
If you are using the WalMart oil at 24:1, (Unless your engine requires it), You are not only not saving money, you are in all liklyhood causing undue carbon buildup.

LubeDude

Admiral

You can probably get away with using the WalMart oil, but I would suggest using something better, Yamalube is a great oil. I know for a fact its better than the WalMart oil.

18rabbit

Captain

Lubedude - The 20,000 miles is where Consumer Reports cut off the testing of motor oils. They took apart a bunch of nyc taxi motors, measured critical wear areas, reassembled the motors, added new oil and put ‘em on the streets. At regular intervals, each car was pulled in, the engine disassembled, parts measured, engine reassembled, the USED oil put back into the engine, and the car was put back out on the streets. After 20,000 miles of nyc taxi driving, there was still no sign of any wear in any of the engines, so Consumer Reports stopped the testing. The taxis were chosen because they are some of the hardest driven cars. I doubt if any police dept would allow testing of field cars.<br /><br />CR does suggest changing your car’s oil per mfg recommendations while it’s under warranty, just to avoid hassles should something go wrong and you need warranty work.<br /><br />I agree with the suggestion about oil analysis at regular intervals. Should be done for every car, truck, boat engine.

sort

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all....especially LubeDude for your comments. Yes, I can afford to burn the more expensive oil but that doesn't make it the best choice. Marketing cost are a big part of the cost of a product so that is to be considered when comparing to a generic product. Another consideration to be factored into this debate is that the engine manufacturers are relying on the products owners to "follow their recommendations" and thus they can charge a large premium for a product that may come out of the same tap as the WW Supertech. Read the engine manual that came with your outboard and I bet you will see that they recommend using their brand oil OR any oil that meets the TC-W3 standards. <br /><br />So, if the decision has already been made to burn dino 2 cycle oil (sorry LubeDude but this discussion is not dino versus synthetic) then is the WW Supertech a good choice???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Use what the manufacturer/dealer recommends. If you want to spend even more money, do it. Pennzoil has a tc-w3 full synthetic that goes for on $20 a gallon if that makes you feel better.<br /><br />In the end, every manufacturer will tell you that theirs is better, for all reasons.<br /><br />Any test that are done that shows otherwise, will be labeled as biased, incomplete, or flawed.<br /><br />We've go over a half million boats in Wisconsin, and I bet half of the owners are using a generic oil, cause we're cheap here. Yet I don't see thousands of blown up motors laying around.

LazyJ

Seaman

The company I work for makes a Mart label and when we're running that product without our name on it quality testing is baselined on a much lower threshold. I could see a mfg going so far as to slapping on a Tech label only when they have a "oops, bad batch" that has failed their quality standard for their label.<br /><br />If you love your dog, don't feed him Ol' Roy<br />If you love your boat..

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Fireman:<br /> (sorry LubeDude but this discussion is not dino versus synthetic)
I wasnt making it one, If that is what you ment. Where did I even mention a synthetic?<br /><br />Anyway, I answered the question, " You can probably get away with using the WalMart oil, but I would suggest using something better, Yamalube is a great oil. I know for a fact its better than the WalMart oil".

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />We've go over a half million boats in Wisconsin, and I bet half of the owners are using a generic oil, cause we're cheap here. Yet I don't see thousands of blown up motors laying around.
You can use the cheapest outboard oil on the planet, even use a straight 30 weight car oil, If you decarb often, and change the plugs one time a year, your engine will out live you, your grand kids and theres probably. The problem comes when you do not decarb if you are using cheap oil. So, do you use good oil and decarb less, or cheap oil and pay for the decarb treatment???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why not use the good oil, and still do the decarb?

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can't judge oil by the price. Price is a marketing issue, not a performance issue. <br /><br />Oil additives don't deplete. They just get to a point where they can no longer suspend contaminates. Contaminates will eventually saturate the additives, break lose from the oil suspension, and cause engine wear. Additives themselves don't really go anywhere or deplete. They remain in the oil until it is burned. This is why (ex: automobiles) it is recommended to use bypass filtration (extra filter) when running extended drain intervals.<br /><br />Wal-Mart Super Tech oil is manufactured, blended, and distributed by Warren Distribution (per Bob Porter of Warren Dist.). Warren purchases their base stock from reputable and popular suppliers. They purchase their additive packages from reputable additive suppliers (there are only a few who supply the entire industry). <br /><br />Super Tech is not a cheap oil in terms of performance. It is registered and certified with the nmma while other more expensive oils are not. It has been tested. It has proven reliable for millions of consumers.<br /><br />There is no such thing as a correlation between the price of oil and having to decarb. I am unaware that Super Tech oil would require more decarbing over a more expensive oil, or that Super Tech users would have to decarb at all.<br /><br />Different outboards perform and react differently to oil. Much depends on combustion characteristics and the design of the engine. Blanket statements of which oil is better are really dependent on the outboard itself. Remember that most outboard manufacturers don't specify a brand of oil. They only list a specification (ex: tcw3). <br /><br />To better understand which oil is best, you must know what is in that oil. That is proprietary information, which I can see leads to much speculation here. The best bet is to go with the manufacturer's specification, knowing that a specified oil has in it what you need. Getting what you need for less money is only a bonus.

BillP

Captain

Fireman,<br />rodbolt is a pro yamaha wrench and uses wallyoil...what does that tell you? <br /><br />Scare tactics about frequent decarbing and plug changing with wallyoil are more imagination than real life. It's worn or out of tune engines that normally cause "decarb" issues. That's when a cleaner burning oil could be a better choice. Regardless, decarbing is still a good practice no matter which oil is used.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well if I was running a yamaha with an O2 sensor or it was still under warrenty I would be running yamalube. most other DFI engines require a full or partial synthetic oil./ I am making no reccomendation. the biggest problem is over cooling and not running the motor in its operating range. its rare to see lubrication failures that were not caused by lack of maintenance. the base stock is kinda irrelavent cause it only gets used once. and TCW3 is not designed to suspend contaminants cause it only goes in once. my 120 has never had a decarb but I guess I should. its probably the most neglected old motor here but I run it from kitty hawk to manteo 2 or 3 times a week. the tach sits between 4500 and 5100 depending on sea state and how bad my back hurts :) :) . the whole key to keeping carbon down is to run the motor as designed and keep the fuel and cooling system in top shape.<br /> good luyck and keep posting