Vortec Test

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Vortec Test

when you pull the dist out to indicate worn or not worn, flip it 180 and put the wires on so that thier right. see if you can make the problem jump to a different cylinder. make sure you keep everything in good time. if the bushings are in fact worn that would cause a flutter at full throttle to. due to the pickup missfireing. what do the plugs look like. is one different? the same. if the problem jumps from cylinder to cylinder, its fuel most likley. if the problem jumps to another cylinder when turning the dist 180 but stays in a specific cylinder, its the ignition pick up and bushings, or plugs or wires. if the problem satys the same... its something with that cylinder, valve flutter, bad lap job. its time to narrow out each possibility with several tests each. one specific test ist a 100% guarentee that thats not the problem. start with one subsystem and start from the top. do the easiest first. rule out all possibilities. im with don. quit jumping around and do complete tests, on ALL subsystems. make a list, and check things off. be sure to do at least 2 different tests for each thing. then check them off as you go. do a complete subsystem check then move on to the next one.....obviously theres something wrong. your just bouncing from thing to thing to much. each i mean subsystem as electrical, ignition, fuel,cylinders and heads. id buy a complete drop in motor if i was in your shoes instead of a long block. oh rapido marine is 150 to ship. unless your here in southwest florida, then its 75. i just pick them up from there.<br /><br /><br />hey! move down here its usually always sunny. except now when the hurricanes move through!! haha i think we have had 6 inches of rain this year.... that sucks really. fish moved out and my canal has dropped two feet?!?

ziggy

Admiral

if ya havn't had the distributor checked for dwell variation, that might be a good place to start. take it to a distributor tester guy in yer area. he'll tell ya the facts about yours. one possible problem eliminated. dwell variation would make timein jump around too, firin spark plugs at random times.....i think.....

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

For phucks sake Tony, I’m with Don on this, you couldn’t wait to fit the vortec heads and new manifold and you seem happy to take everybody’s else’s advise when they are spending your money by throwing new parts at it unnecessarily for 12 months but you won’t do a few simple tests. From what I can tell you still haven’t bothered to find out why the engine was ingesting water in the first place, it could be something as silly as a faulty wire in the loom, but mate, your never gunna know if you don’t do some damn tests, stop playing with the thing and post the results, you have all the advise and instructions you need to test the distributor you don't need to take it out, test the damn thing!!!!!!!!!! I’m outta this one till I see some test results…….

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I know that reving in neutral and WOT under load are totaly different. The reason I was trying to replicate the problem at the dock is because I am about a mile from where I can go faster than idle.<br /><br />I have run MANY of the test you have asked for....the only test I have really not run is the leakdown test and, I haven't been able to pull the distributor as of yet. Weather really hasn't been cooperating either!<br /><br />I thought that trying to video the problem so you could see (the carb) and hear the engine would help.<br /><br />Maybe I will lay off for a while also.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

to aid in loading the engine while tied to the dock use a cut down propeller. a good propshop can assist.<br /> that way you can securly tie it to a dock and load the motor.<br />if you can borrow the V6 yamaha test wheel it will load it some as well.<br />on the video, you can post it but I dont know if my sound card can play it.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

rodbolt, do you think I can tie to a dock with a test prop installed and bring it up to 3200RPM?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Tony if it's blowing gas up and out of the carb it can only be a few problems. Exhaust lobe on cam worn down/off, lifter colapsing (not letting exhaust valve open properly), improprely adjusted valves, stopped up/restricted exhaust.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by BabylonBoater:<br /> rodbolt, do you think I can tie to a dock with a test prop installed and bring it up to 3200RPM?
With a solid dock, Yep.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Reel Poor:<br /> Tony if it's blowing gas up and out of the carb it can only be a few problems. Exhaust lobe on cam worn down/off, lifter colapsing (not letting exhaust valve open properly), improprely adjusted valves, stopped up/restricted exhaust.
Add burned valve and blown head gasket to that list.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by bomar76:<br />
Originally posted by Reel Poor:<br /> Tony if it's blowing gas up and out of the carb it can only be a few problems. Exhaust lobe on cam worn down/off, lifter colapsing (not letting exhaust valve open properly), improprely adjusted valves, stopped up/restricted exhaust.
Add burned valve and blown head gasket to that list.
Those problems cause a dead miss. He said it idles fine then misses and blows the gas up/out when under a load or reving the engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm not trying to "Get to you" in a bad way Tony, I'm trying to make you actually check things properly and follow through on a test..... Completely.<br />All you have been doing is throwing new and used parts at it instead of actually finding out what is wrong.<br />You never found out what caused your low rpm problem before you put on new heads, worried yourself sick on which head gaskets and head bolts and type heads, and now you have additional problems. See where I'm going with this? <br />Your best bet now would be to go back thru all your posts regarding this problem. List ALL the things you have checked, (and how you checked them) and all the things you have replaced trying to fix it.<br />Now you seem to be fixed on running it at the dock to test it. First, you have to find the problem and fix something before you test it.<br />Did you actually check the distributor bushings? That in itself can cause cross firing. How about the fuel system? Did you test it like the manual explaines? Not just a seperate tank, who knows, maybe it had a problem too.<br />Now there are people talking about gas blowing out of the carb, and water ingestion???????? Where did that come from?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

That's right paulie, and that picture was taken last October and it led me (us I thought) to a possible blown head gasket or cracked head. So I went ahead and replaced the heads and head gaskets. I thought this was an intelligent decision.<br /><br />I have been talking about gas blowing out (and not being sucked in) of the carb since last year also.<br /><br />I don't have any additional problems, just the same one(s).<br /><br />I think I have checked the fuel system and believe it's functioning properly.<br /><br />The suggestion regarding the distributor has just been made and I intend on pulling it and checking it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

anything blowing OUT of the carb. is a sign that an intake valve /intake runner is not sealing and allowing compressed gas or combustion gas to escape.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

thats what i said in the begining mr doctor. although. a predetonation will cause this as well. bushings in the dizzy..

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

just because something is new. doesnt mean it is right...... thats why i said the two test deal. two seperate different ways will confirm or bust the myth

KaGee

Admiral

I kinda like this "Hobo Stew" we got simmering here. ;)