Vortec Test

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Vortec Test

Hang in there Tony... from your picture that Grady looks like your efforts are worth it. ;)

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I think it's worth it too!<br /><br />But S$!T..........this S*&KS!<br /><br />Haven't had a chance to do anything.........weather not cooperating/mother's day on Sunday, etc.......<br /><br />Hope to at least check the #2 cylinder by the "shorting out the plug" method and then checking for spark with the timing light sometime this w/e!

Bondo

Staff member

Good Luck Man,............. ;)

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

well... you could always take the old lady and make a joint effort of trying to diagnose the boat with all this info we all have provided ya know?!! at least the boat goes and is not ingesting water, is it? lol have her work the throttle and you do the diagnostics. that way she can get the feel for the boat when your fishing. she would then feel confortable driving while your working the lines. its a plus if anything ever happens out there. never know when someone besides the captain has to drive. just some input. then you can be there engine side seeing the results from various load tests that you really need to perform, then update us on!!

fleopis67

Cadet

calm down!one step at a time!take it all apart and s-l-o-w-l-y put it back together!by the the time you are done and it runs good,it will be october,look at all the gas money you will save !!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just think, in about 3 more weeks, this problem will have been going on, talked about, cussed and disccussed, hashed and rehashed for a year with well over a thousand posts. Every item has been examined extensively.<br />For all you new guys. So a search using his member number ( 9625 ) and look around the beginning of June 2005 for the posts, then read all the info posted to date. Then you will have some backround on the problem, and what has been done.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

no paulie, I'm not laughing............<br /><br />but I am kinda numb about the whole thing.<br />The more I think about it the more I wish I would have installed a new engine.......now if I wanted to I could put a short block in from Rapido marine for ~1500 including shipping!<br /><br />I am gonna give it one more chance and go through some troubleshooting and at the same time I am trying to get a mech to come down and go for a ride, it's not too easy to find someone at this time of year.<br /><br />I was thinking of starting a new thread with my troubleshooting progress.

Don S

The more I think about it the more I wish I would have installed a new engine.......now if I wanted to I could put a short block in from Rapido marine for ~1500 including shipping!
You would probably end up with the same problem Tony.<br />You need to find the cause of the problem and stop throwing parts at it.<br />Did you ever check the fuel system Like This ? I know you used a remote tank, but what if it had an air leak in the hose or the hose diameter was too small, or ________?<br />Dead cylinder moving around???? Plug wire? spark plug? Just swap the wire to the other side and try it. The do the same with the plug. I know you don't have a KV meter, so eliminate it by moving the parts likely to cause the problem.<br />Did you ever check your distributor shaft to see if the bushings were worn out. After reinstalling the distributor, it may be located different than before causing the miss to move. The rotor could also touch the sensor in the distributor.<br />Have you done a simple compression test on this engine since you put the new heads on it?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I checked the fuel pressure and even replaced the fuel pump. And yes, I ran it off a seperate tank with a clear hose to check for air bubbles. <br /><br />Replaced spark plug wires and the plugs are new for the new heads.<br /><br />Tell me more about the distributor shaft bushings. Where are they located? Do I need to remove the distributor to check them? How about if I hjad someone click the starter and turn the engine over w/o the cap on so I could watch the rotor?<br /><br />Checked the compression after the heads were installed.......180-200 (if I remember correctly).

Don S

I checked the fuel pressure and even replaced the fuel pump.
Read the link I gave you. It has nothing to do with fuel pump pressure. I's the system "BEFORE" the pump. And like I said, a problem with your remote tank could cause the same exact problem. Reread this again..<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=015221 <br /><br />
Replaced spark plug wires and the plugs are new for the new heads.
Believe it or not, New things are sometimes bad, don't ASSUME they are good, check them, or move them to a different cylinder and see if the problem changes place.<br /><br />
Tell me more about the distributor shaft bushings. Where are they located? Do I need to remove the distributor to check them?
They are inside the distributor shaft. Yes you need to remove the distributor. Then move the rotor and gear end back and forth in all directions. They usually are only worn in one direction, so check all directions to make sure.<br /><br />
Checked the compression after the heads were installed.......180-200 (if I remember correctly).
Since your compression was 140 to 170 before you pulled the engine, and it's now 180 to 200 and the problem is exactly the same, I think you can safely rule out cylinder leakage as a problem.<br /><br />PS: and don't be offended, but do you know how to use the outdrive trim? You aren't trying to run with the drive all they way down are you?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

rodbolt I'm not offended and have tried all sorts of combinatios of trim and trim tab position with no help.<br /><br />I'm glad to hear you say you think that we can rule out cylinder leakage.<br /><br />Try to stick with me.......

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A little story. I was building up from scratch an engine for an old Chris Craft I had bought without one. I had a good 350 but no marine parts for it so I bought a bunch of marine stull off Ebay. One was a like new Mallory marine points distributor. The guy I bought it from said it had only run a couple of hours when he changed to an electronic. It looked absolutly brand new. When I went to start the engine for the first time it would start and run for 10 or 15 seconds and shut down. To make a long story short I hunted for two days looking for the problem. Ran every test in the book and couldn't find anything wrong. Finally out of desperation I changed the condenser. Bingo, it ran like a top. Looking back I believe the guy I bought it from was having the same problem and couldn't find it so he swapped to electronic and sold the problem to me.

Don S

Rodbolt???? uhhhh, I'm Don :p <br /><br />Seriously, don't rule out the leakdown test or anything else. Just check a few of the easier things first.<br />You can pull the distributor check it reinstall, move plug wires around and verify the fuel system a lot faster than you can do the leakdown test.<br /><br />Here is another test you can do for ME. Disconnect the throttle cable and without adjusting mixture or anything else, adjust the idle speed down and see how slow you can get the rpm and let me know what rpm it will run at.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I just went down to the boat and put a stripe of nail polish on the damper approximatly at #2 TDC.<br /><br />I checked the spark with a timing light and both #2 and #3 were firing on this mark (just as suspected). When I snapped the throttle quickly to get this sputtering to occur I still had spark on both cylinders. Fuel is not being "sucked" into the carb when this sputtering occurs. I am convinced this is related to the problem at 3200 under load.<br /><br />Gotta go to a family party!!!!!<br /><br />Don't think it's lack of fuel. Will try to check this spark under load tomorrow.

KaGee

Admiral

Have fun Tony, I Can't do anything on my boat today either... crappy weather... forcast not too good for tomorrow either. :( Rain and cold for the last 3 1/2 days.<br /><br />Anyone want to help me keel haul the weatherman?? :D

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Was thinking about this problem the whole time I was driving!<br /><br />I think I am flodding the engine when I snap the throttle quickly multiple times while in neutral.<br />So maybe what I am seeing in neutral isn't related to what I am seeing under load. I am going to try and video it tomorrow.

Don S

So maybe what I am seeing in neutral isn't related to what I am seeing under load.
Ya THINK????? :rolleyes: <br />You mean you consider what happens in neutral going from idle to WOT for a split second is the same as running under full load at WOT.?????<br />Have you learned nothing about how an engine operates???<br />You haven't checked diddly and now you want to video it ..... WHY???? You follow through on nothing.<br />Several of us have asked you to do some tests. Never any test results.<br />Just more questions because you didn't do the tests. BUT, you did read something somewhere that someone said somewhere, or perhaps you thought of something else that looked like a likely solution, and it put the problem somewhere else.<br />That is exactly why this problem has gone on for a year now.<br />I'm beginning to think you really don't have a boat at all. You just like to create problems and say there are no answers. Just a big joke, and I fell for it.....<br />Shame on me.