Volvo 280 knocking noise.. Is this normal?? Video inside ;-)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 280 knocking noise.. Is this normal?? Video inside ;-)

That is NOT normal
Is there oil in the drive?
Sounds like gear backlash rattle from a rough running engine, except for how loud it is, but that could be due to how you recorded it.

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

That is NOT normal
Is there oil in the drive?
Sounds like gear backlash rattle from a rough running engine, except for how loud it is, but that could be due to how you recorded it.

Thanks as always for your replys don..

Ive filled with new 30w gear oil.. Through drain plug, topped up in dipstick, as i couldnt get the fill screw undone..

Also fitted new shift cables.. But i disconected tht and moved the gear selector slightly by hand, but still the same noise.. Even in gear it makes tht noise.

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

No, not normal. Time to remove the drive and start looking for the problem. Question, does it sound like that in the full down position? If not, the u-joints would be my first suspect.

Just to make certain, you followed the shop manual and are CERTAIN you have the correct amount of lube in the drive, right? Just topping it off from the top won't do it.

Heres the annoying thing.. Its 2-3 inches from being fully down. And id have to launch the boat to test, as i cant get the boat back on the rollers.. And the legs resting on a roller..

Around 2.6 liters, and it shows perfect on the dipstick.. Is tht a good guide??

Don S

Check the gear lube again, i would bet that it's showing low. Did you get 2 1/2 or more quarts in it when you filled it?

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Check the gear lube again, i would bet that it's showing low. Did you get 2 1/2 or more quarts in it when you filled it?

I put around 2.5 to 2.6 uk litres in..

Although, when i drained the old, only 2.2 litres came out...

On the dipstick its shows about a inch up from low.. I.e. In the middle of the dipstick recess.

Could it be trapped air in the leg from filling it with oil?

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Just found this.

Could be the gear case oil level.. Dip stick should be undone and resting in hole to check, and oil should be at the top of the flat recess......

Well i checked with the dipstick screwed in.. And it wasnt at the top of the flat recess.

Could this make a difference??

jimduncan1

Cadet

Thanks as always for your replys don..

Ive filled with new 30w gear oil.. Through drain plug, topped up in dipstick, as i couldnt get the fill screw undone..

Also fitted new shift cables.. But i disconected tht and moved the gear selector slightly by hand, but still the same noise.. Even in gear it makes tht noise.

Not sure how significant but on my 290 drive, the gear oil spec was 75w/90 and I noticed you've used 30w ??

Don S

I noticed you've used 30w ??

That is what is supposed to be used in the single prop drives. if your 290 is a single prop, you should be using engine oil also.

jimduncan1

Cadet

That is what is supposed to be used in the single prop drives. if your 290 is a single prop, you should be using engine oil also.

Thanks didn't realize that posters sterndrive was a SP model, whereas mine was a Duo Prop, which the Volvo spec calls for:
API GL-5, SAE 80W90, 2.7 liters

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help so far ;-)

So here goes..

Turns out the UJ bellow did have a split in it.. So sea water has been in there...

Got the leg off

heres my questions..

Pic 1. - Is the gimble bearing behind them 6-8 bolts?? can i replace it from the outdrive side?

Pic 2 - That piece of metal was inside the uj bellow, and possibly behind the knocking noise?? i cant see no sign of where it came from.. Was it a cap for the spline??

Pic 3 - the UJ's on the leg move freeley,and NO slack in them.. Im hopeing salt water hasnt got past the seal?? Although, when i drained the old oil, it looked fine.

K, i could of wrote and asked loads more lol, but am desperate for the main answers...

I thought

1. new gimbal bearing.

2. new bellows

3. new water intake thinghy (bit that bolts on)

and go from there???

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jw_2000_uk/?action=view&current=IMG_0004-1.jpg

captmello

Captain

I would run the engine without the outdrive to see if the noise goes away. Pull the impeller so it doesn't melt and only run the engine for 15-30 seconds, just long enough to determine if the noise is still present.

Check the drive shaft, the splined shaft that the ujoint yoke goes to, is there any play, up or down, side to side, in or out? If there is movement the bearings are bad.

What engine do you have?

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, i will try that later ;-)

I think there is a little play in the shaft..

Would tht be the gimble bearing???

Is tht behind the plate in pic 1??

Engine is a ford transit 2.5 1997ish

Cheers

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Shaft:If there is and side to side play that can't be taken care of by adding grease(add inside). Then it probably needs bearings.
I don't think there is a gimbal bearing on that motor.It has shaft bearings behind the seal you show in pic1
Video:sounds like a u-joint???
You can try greasing the h&%$ out of it.Replace the u-joints and new bellows.It might last a while.
What motor or Volvo # for the motor?
Post a pic of the motor/bellhousing.J

captmello

Captain

Hi, i will try that later ;-)

I think there is a little play in the shaft..

Would tht be the gimble bearing???

Is tht behind the plate in pic 1??

Engine is a ford transit 2.5 1997ish

Cheers

1997 Ford?? Are you sure. The 280 outdrive had been long since retired by 1997.

How about some pics.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From the photos it looks like the transom shield is toast, The boss is broken where the lift rod comes through.

With all that rust, check the sealing washer carefully.

I would definately change the primary drive shaft bearing (what you are calling the gimbal bearing) there is no gimbal in a 280 drive.

JMHO

I didn't think volvo ever used a 4 cyl ford.

Show some pics of the engine

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replys lads...

I went and bought all new bellows etc today..

And there was some play in the shaft..

So im attempting to replace all the drive shaft bearings/seals (now learnt its not a gimble lol)

removed 5 of the 6 bell house bolts... BUT on the 6th one the head broke, and left 4" of thread in there :-(

Got someone coming round Saturday, who can extract it hopefully...??

Regarding the engine, its 100% a ford transit inboard.. its been marinised and installed by someone before in the UK. the boat wasn't designed for inboards to start off with...

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Ive heard i need to slide the engine forward to replace the shaft bearings??

@sqbtr ...we had a knightmare with the tilt... it did brake, but a bit of welding, and tones of sikiflex, means it comes down in line, and lifts the leg perfect..

@jerry ..pic added... do you mean the Ujoints on the leg... ive moved them,and theres NO play in them (except for the obvious movements), and they rotate smoothly.. im assuming thats a good thing??

@capt ..pic added ;-)

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you are talking about the bell housing bolts are you refering to the 6 bolts accessed from the aft side of the transom, if so the bolt need not be extracted pull the clamping ring off and the engine and flywheel cover will slide forward.

Boat u-joints are different than autos in that there is not much movement in them, they tend to gall in one spot. pull them apart and check them visually.