Starting older motor first time in 4 years?

daustin

Cadet
Hi there,
I just got an older Ala-Craft boat with a Johnson Sea Horse 50 on it. The boat & motor are a 1975, it's not been ran in about 4 years. Before it was parked it was ran out of fuel on idle, thus it was parked dry. I'm going to install new fuel tank, bulb and lines. Change the foot oil (i was told it leaked a little a little too). Also install new spark plugs like the owners manual states.
What do i need to look out for, or do when i start it up? I'm thinking about running more oil in the mix, good idea or???? I'm new to outboards, but not new to mechanics & stuff.
Thanks for the advice.
Don

daustin

Cadet
Re: Starting older motor first time in 4 years?

Thanks,
I'm pretty sure it's not locked up, as dad took pretty good care of his stuff. He had it in a barn & covered with a cover, he passed away about a month ago and gave it to me in the will. Should be interesting as i drove it a lot in the late 70's when i was in high school. I bought an owners manual and a re-print of the factory shop manual too. Thanks again for your help.
Don

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The oil-in-the cylinders-hand-crank is a good idea, since it hasn't moved for awhile, and there could be some surface rust in the cylinders and rings. If a ring is stuck and you hit it with the starter, that could be very bad.
Replacing the water pump impeller is a must, before you try to start it. They are rubber and get set to the position they were left in. It may work for awhile, but the pump will be weak, or one of the impeller legs could break off and mess up the works. Here's what I'd do:
1. Order a manual and impeller.
2. While waiting on those, clean up the boat, get a new battery, and make sure the boat lights and gear are working and complete.
3. Inspect the trailer, grease the bearings, and make sure the tires aren't dryrotted. Make sure the trailer lights work. Check the winch strap. They hurt alot when they break and hit you in the face (personal experience..:eek:.)
4. Install the impeller
5. Change the lower unit oil
6. You should have done the oil in the cylinder thing and changed the plugs already...
7. Then on a leap of faith, and provided the boat ramp is close by, put it in the water and try and crank it up. Make sure the plug is in. When it starts, look up and thank your dad for all of the nice things he did, particularly for running the carbs dry before he put it up.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

smart man, make the service manual your best friend for the next couple of weeks. i love the 2 cylinder motors, i have serveral at present.

daustin

Cadet

The oil-in-the cylinders-hand-crank is a good idea, since it hasn't moved for awhile, and there could be some surface rust in the cylinders and rings. If a ring is stuck and you hit it with the starter, that could be very bad.
Replacing the water pump impeller is a must, before you try to start it. They are rubber and get set to the position they were left in. It may work for awhile, but the pump will be weak, or one of the impeller legs could break off and mess up the works. Here's what I'd do:
1. Order a manual and impeller.
2. While waiting on those, clean up the boat, get a new battery, and make sure the boat lights and gear are working and complete.
3. Inspect the trailer, grease the bearings, and make sure the tires aren't dryrotted. Make sure the trailer lights work. Check the winch strap. They hurt alot when they break and hit you in the face (personal experience..:eek:.)
4. Install the impeller
5. Change the lower unit oil
6. You should have done the oil in the cylinder thing and changed the plugs already...
7. Then on a leap of faith, and provided the boat ramp is close by, put it in the water and try and crank it up. Make sure the plug is in. When it starts, look up and thank your dad for all of the nice things he did, particularly for running the carbs dry before he put it up.....

Whaler,

Your right on track for what i was thinking about doing, the boat is still in the barn and i haven't messed with it other than a lookover yet. First thing i did was write down the model/serial numbers on the motor and look those up here. That's how i found out it's a 1975 motor. Then i ordered an owners manual and a shop manual, i've been reading over those for a few days. I bought the new fuel tank, fuel lines and primer bulb, new 50-1 oil and a container of OMC foot oil, new battery box and checked the lights on the boat. The rear one is broken, so i'll have to repair that. I can't take it to the water just yet, it's not registered for '08 and it's still registered to Dad until Sept 19th (i hope they will transfer it to me with the death cert, will and last resigtration). It was registered in Alabama and i live near Atlanta GA, so i'll need to get that done before hitting the water although i live about 3 miles from Lake Allatoona. The trailer has the bearing-buddies (i think thats what they are called) and i bought 3 new tires/wheels as the old ones are dry rotted. I pulled the motor cover just to look, and it's a little dusty but looks very clean and lubed on the movement points. Dad was really picky about his stuff, (well so am i, my hobby is restoring 67-69 camaros and GTO's).
I've looked up and thanked him several times in the past few weeks for making my life as executor (my sis is a PIA) easier than it could have been, and told him that i miss him. I'm working in Houston through the week for the next 3 weeks (leaving Sept 18th to hit the DMV and Parks/Rec the 19th) so it will be a little while before i try it. (I'm hoping to get the h*ll out of here tomorrow am if they don't close Houston Hobby airport) My neighbor has the hose connection so i plan to start it in the driveway before hitting the lake for a test. I'm also planning to get and install (1) water pump kit and (2) fuel pump kit, as they are rubber and will just fall apart causing all kinds of crap to circulate in the motor. Also pull the plugs, oil the cylinders and use the pull-start to turn it over a few times.
Does that sound like a good plan?
Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.
Don

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Daustin the registration here in Georgia is fairly simple. Go to any outdoor supply area and request a Georgia boat registration form. Fill in the information as requested and mail it to the DNR. The form has a portion that you simple fill out and tear off to keep with you until the registration is complete. As long as you have that with you your able to take the boat out on the lake. I sent one in back in June of this year and didn't hear anything back until August so it will take sometime. That is why they give you that extra part of the form to keep and use the boat until they get to your form.

If you have the previous registration and something showing this boat is changing hands you shouldn't have any problems. Let me know if there is any other information you might need as I am working with this at the same time as you.:)

If you provide pictures I won't even charge for this information.:rolleyes:

freddyray21

Commander

kick the tires and light the fires. Fire it up. but seriously at least change the impeller and run fresh gas to it. I would change the lu oil as well. May be all it needs, but don't be surprise if it needs a carb overhaul ect.

daustin

Cadet

Thanks a bunch guys,
I've ordered a fuel pump kit and a water pump kit, so when i get it home i'll work on it. I'e got new fuel tanks, primer bulb and lines, spark plugs, foot lube, battery box, and the fuel pump/water pmp kids. I should be bringing it back this saturday from Alabama, so i'll have more info and i'll snap a few pics of the old girl. :eek:) Good stuff putting the link there for me, thanks a lot for that i'll get that registration done asap.
Don

daustin

Cadet
Re: Starting older motor first time in 4 years? - update

Re: Starting older motor first time in 4 years? - update

Hi guys,
Well i now have dad's old boat, when i was replacing the tires/wheels one of the neighbors came over and after we talked a bit told me that dad had the boat running in March this year!! He didnt tell me that, but it was nice to know - so now i'm not so much concerned about the motor running/being frozen up.. etc. When i got it home saturday, i pulled the plugs and turned it over by hand. No problem!! The plugs are nearly new, and the carb's look like they have been rebuilt as they are clean as a new dinner plate. I'm going to rebuild the fuel pump, replace the water pump impeller/plate, drain/refill the lower unit and take her out. (of course afer a good washing as it's nasty from sitting). I'll pop off a couple pics and post them, not a bad looking old boat.
Thanks for the tips guys, i appreciate it a lot.
Don

James R

Commander

One of the biggest mistakes people make with a two stroke, they assume that the carbs are clean. If just one carb is partially blocked you risk a blown motor. Please take the carbs off and clean them. Dont use that spray, so called, carb cleaner That will not remove deposits and you risk damaging the carbs. I always use The Carb and Parts cleaner produced by the makers of Gunk products. I have used this for many years and have found it to do a good job. Also it has not damaged any plastics so far. Good luck.
Incidentally I always flood the innerds of a older standing motor with Marvel Mystery Oil and let it soak for a couple of days. Reduces the risk of a dry cylinder or bearing and helps free up sticking rings.
When you get the carbs clean always use Stabil in your gas. It will keep your fuel system and carbs clean and you need not worry about carbs for a long time.

daustin

Cadet

Thanks for the info, i found out last weekend that dad had ran the motor earlier this year and totally rebuilt the carbs a couple of years ago so i'm not concerned about the carb's being gummed up. Sta-bil is going in every tank i mix up for it, good insurance. I've ran 2 strokes for many years witn my son being into dirt bikes so i'm pretty good with that. In the next couple of weeks i'll have it ready to hit the lake, should be lots of fun.
Don