Volvo 280 knocking noise.. Is this normal?? Video inside ;-)

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo 280 knocking noise.. Is this normal?? Video inside ;-)

When you are talking about the bell housing bolts are you refering to the 6 bolts accessed from the aft side of the transom, if so the bolt need not be extracted pull the clamping ring off and the engine and flywheel cover will slide forward.

Boat u-joints are different than autos in that there is not much movement in them, they tend to gall in one spot. pull them apart and check them visually.

Hi, is the clamping ring on the inside of the bell housing, near engine?

And the engine just pulls foreward then?

Will bearings be on the leg side and inboard side?

Cheers

captmello

Captain

The ring is outside the hull, in the top pic of you pics in post 15. Those six bolts come off. Once removed, use a couple of the bolts to thread into the other threaded holes in the clamping ring. Jack the clamping ring off the transom shield by tightening those bolts in the threaded holes. Now the engine should move out along with the bearing housing.

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

Cheers mate..

Housings out.. Legs away to have new spiders fitted in the uj's.. Go from there..

P.s. Do all bell houses have 2 bearings. This seemed to have 1..

f2ddbf31.jpg

captmello

Captain

Most of the 4 cylinder flywheel covers seem to be one bearing, while V8's seem to use the two bearing style.

Since your's is matched to a four cylinder ford, which I've never seen or heard of, who knows. Glad you got it apart.

Did you ever run the engine with the outdrive removed?

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

There is only ine surclip groove, so hopefully tht means one bearing is correct ...

I didnt get round to it.. As i saw the spiders in the uj's were wasted, plus the bearings on shaft.. So i cant see how this wouldnt solve the issue :-/ i hope..

jw2000uk

Seaman Apprentice

New update..

Leg and reconditioned bell housing is back on ;-)

Now another problem.

I've slid the inboard backwards to push back on to the spline/shaft, ive got it to engage.

But it still has half inch before it goes back on the old mounting holes???

Ive tried bottle jacks to push it, levers.. And brute force..

Any ideas lads, boats..aaggghh

c51be329.jpg

6234d056.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To be honest, I have no idea how you got it apart like you did, and I really doubt you will ever get it back together that way. You need to get the section that is still in the transom shield out of there, remove the flywheel cover from the engine, put the two sections back together, then back on the engine and put the assembled unit back into the transom shield.

hokiejerm

Recruit

Any idea what the metal cap you found in there is? Just pulled my upper and found the same thing in there.