Vinylester Resin Brand advice

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to plug and reinforce my transom and bracket a 23 FT Glasply. I have read Vinylester resin seems to be the top recommended resin for my project. However I am trying to verify the best VE to use. Also should I use two layers of 1708. Do I need to add wax for the second application on the last coat?

tpenfield

Staff member
I doubt there is a 'best' VE type/brand. It is a matter of what you can get locally or via the Internet. What are you currently considering?

Sure 2 layers are better than 1.

No real need to add wax to the second layer.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I go through with this project I plan to feather out the existing glass on the outside and put 2 layers of glass. One overlapping 3 to 4 inches the the next over lapping that one 3 to 4 inches. Going to add two knees to the inboard stringers, two gussets down the side, and shear ties at the base of transom at the remaining other 4 stringers. Going to bolt the bracket on and use a peice of C channel inside at the upper bolt lines from gusset to gusset. Still not sure if I should also add another 1" laminated to the front side of transom as well. Overkill probably but would rather it be to strong and not the other way around.