Upon Further Review..#$%@..1973 Slickcraft Trans/String Overhaul

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Upon Further Review..#$%@..1973 Slickcraft Trans/String Overhaul

good job on the second coat. happy easter to you and yours. stuff will be in on wednesday, but I'll be in the u.p. for work unitl thursday night.

jcsercsa

Captain

good job on the second coat. happy easter to you and yours. stuff will be in on wednesday, but I'll be in the u.p. for work unitl thursday night.

where you going ?? Dad Is in Munsing !!! ok after you get back Just give me a call !! John

83mulligan

Hey all! Got my fiberglass supplies from U.S. Composites today. Guess that means its time to get back at her. Realized I forgot to get some stuff for peanut butter. I need Cabisol and Glass Bubbles and Milled Fiberglass, correct? How much of each for seaming the deck and Transom and making some fillets here and there?

jcsercsa

Captain

COOL Steve !!!! About time you get back to work !!!! lol I will call you later !!! John

83mulligan

Wow, got back out there and ground on the hull for about 4 hours with my friend paul. It's getting close. Just about 15 square feet to go on the sole and that will be that. I need to get a new flap disc though, the two i have are all loaded up. getting close to construction!

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool Steve , when you thinking on starting glassing ??? John

83mulligan

I'm Back!!

83mulligan

omg, i forgot about the chocolate, lol! I'm good. just got busy in the summer. Finishing up a gas line to heat garage. Ready to show me how to glass, john?

jcsercsa

Captain

omg, i forgot about the chocolate, lol! I'm good. just got busy in the summer. Finishing up a gas line to heat garage. Ready to show me how to glass, john?

What you mean you didnt get her done ?????hahaha ohh man your wife wasnt kidding when you put things off was she ??? hahahahhaha yea any time , you still got my number ??????? John

83mulligan

Send me a pm, john. I lost a phone a while back.

jcsercsa

Captain

I still got yours I will give you a call tomorrow !! john

83mulligan

Been getting back to working on the boat. I have everything ground out now. Washed the garage out. Man what a filthy mess all the fiberglass dust makes. Nice to be able to get in the boat without looking like i had a bag of flour dumped on me. Pics to follow soon.

jcsercsa

Captain

I'll give you a call tomorrow . I am off, LETS GO WINGS !! john

83mulligan

Ok, so I've made some progress as of late!! First, finished grinding the entire hull. I think its ready for fiberglassing finally.

Next, Cut the transom. Full section of 3/4" Ply (been drying in basement for a year) After a little additinal shaping, i'm happy with the fit. I think I have this right for bedding. There are 1/4" spacers. Biggest gap is maybe a half inch. Is this correct? I can use 1/8" spacers I suppose. Need some advice here.

P4280322.jpg
[/IMG]

After this i cut the center pieces of the transom. another 3/4" piece of ply laminated with a piece of 1/4" ply. This piece will then be laminated to the full transom piece. Brad nails and PL Premium used for laminating.

P4260311.jpg

P4260309.jpg

Next step here will be to drill the holes for the bell housing mounting bolts, the lifting hooks and the drain plug. Then, cut the hole for the outdrive.

83mulligan

Before I am ready to mount the transom i need to fill some holes. Man, this picture reminds me of starry night. No wonder the transom rotted. I'll be filling all the useless holes with marine tex. Counter bore first, then fill, unless there are other suggestions.

P4280323.jpg

My buddy Jsercsa is coming over next week to get me started on fiberglassing! Thanks John!!!

83mulligan

Got the stringers ripped and laminated. The old ones were 1 by Cedar. I used 3/4 " and 3/8" laminated with PL Premium and brad nails.

I need to see if I'd like to put a 3/8" roundover bit in my router and shape the tops for easier glassing. Not sure about the tear out though, being plywood. So, i'll test on some scrap and see.

P4260310.jpg

83mulligan

looking for some advice on how to properly seal the transom board up before installing it. Do i put a fiberglass skin on the back and then use pl premium to bond it to the existing glass? I'll be using epoxy resin for the fiberglass work. how about the center piece of the transom. Should i glass over this on the edges before i install the entire transom, or wait and glass it all in when its in the boat?

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

That transom holey pic reminds me of a planetarium dome :D

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay Bud , I cant do it wed, sorry what about thursday ?John