Upholstery (how I did mine-w/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
In another thread I was asked for a step by step on how I did the upholstery in my boat. Here are some of the pictures of my interior and then I will follow with the covering of one of the curved bow side panels.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Upholstery (how I did mine-w/pics)

Now on with how I did it.

Here is the plywood backer for the curved bow side panels. It is made of 2 layers of 1/4? plywood laminated together using PL construction adhesive spread with a notched trowel.
IMG_0022.jpg

The panel is held in place in the boat with hidden 1/4-20 stainless machine screws. The screws are inserted through the front side of the plywood panel and tee-nuts on the back and tightened. Once covered, the panel is put in and nuts and washers added from behind to hold it in place.
IMG_0023.jpg

The shape of the panel is traced on the foam. I use 1 inch thick foam for this piece.
IMG_0024.jpg

Foam is cut with scissors and then the stripe pattern is laid out.
IMG_0025.jpg

Then cut out.
IMG_0026.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The front piece of foam was spray glued to the panel and then a piece of vinyl stapled in place with SS staples. I first stapled at the rear of the foam where the stripe goes, and then pulled it tight around the front and stapled it on the back side.
IMG_0028.jpg

Then just pulled tight around the other edges and stapled on the back side of the panel.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Next, cut a piece of vinyl for the stripe. You also need a ?starter strip? (my name for it). You can see it in this picture. It is the white perforated piece next to the vinyl. I cut this from a piece of plastic drywall corner bead material I bought at the lumber center. You will see how it is used in the next few steps.
IMG_0033.jpg

The front edge of the vinyl is stapled down using the ?starter strip? at the back edge of the previous piece that was installed.
IMG_0037.jpg

Then the foam for that particular stripe is spray glued into position.
IMG_0038.jpg

Then staple the back end.
IMG_0039.jpg

Then wrap the other 2 edges and staple to the back side.
IMG_0040.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Continue this process until you work yourself to the back end of the part and you wind up with this.
IMG_0050.jpg

I used this same technique on the big side panels in the boat. I just had to modify it a bit for the cutouts for the storage areas.

One last picture. These are the big side panels prior to getting covered. I wanted to point out the plywood pieces that look sticking up off of the panel. Those are 1/2" plywood and are used for the speaker mounts and for the mount for the throttle control. That way the speaker and throttle don?t become recessed into the finished panel. As said the plywood pieces are 1/2? and the foam used was also 1/2?.
IMG_0010mod.jpg

I hope this helps .

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

This helps a HUGE amount! Thank you so much! Did you do anything different for the bow seats (besides thicker foam)? Good thinking on the plywood platforms for the gunwales.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow that looks freaking rad!!!! My buddy and I have been coming up with different ideas for the sides of the boat and where to put speakers.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

This helps a HUGE amount! Thank you so much! Did you do anything different for the bow seats (besides thicker foam)? Good thinking on the plywood platforms for the gunwales.

Glad to help. This forum has been a great help for me and I'm just glad I can maybe give a little back.

As for the bow seat cushions, I didn't really do anything different except that I put some plastic on before the vinyl. That is how the factory cushions were. I guess it is to help keep the water out of the foam. The only other thing was to stitch the corners. I think you could fold the corners like you gift wrap a present and they would be fine that way too. When I stitched them though I went back and used vinyl glue on the back side of the stitched area to strengthen and to help waterproof.

I can't take credit for the plywood platforms for the speakers and engine controls. That is how those panels were from the factory. I just copied them. I just pointed them out because I wouldn't have thought about that.

drewpster

Commander

Judging by the shop and the "little" project in the background, seems I am not the only one who tends to start too many irons in the fire. Are we ever really done? (think not);)
Great work BTW, skins look great!

redfury

Commander

Judging by the shop and the "little" project in the background, seems I am not the only one who tends to start too many irons in the fire. Are we ever really done? (think not);)
Great work BTW, skins look great!

If you have one project, you have many...I don't think a guy with a single project exists on planet earth :p

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome job and a great tutorial. Did you flip when you seen the price of foam? I made my rear bench the other day, had to grab my heart when I was at Joanns when I seen the tag on that stuff.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Ha Ha. You guys are right on. I have lots of projects. Between boats, cars, snowmobiles, motorcycles, airplanes, atv's, and the house I have no lack of project potential. The one you spotted in the background is a 1970 Ford Mustang Fastback that I'm trying to bring back from the dead. About 50 percent of the metal in the car has been replaced. It just came down off of a rotisserie (I built that too) just before I started the boat. When we first got married my wife thought I would do a project like the boat because we couldn't afford to buy a decent one. Now that I'm established in a career that makes good money and could afford to buy new if I wanted she realizes I simply have a sickness where I have to work on stuff.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

just about sums it up don't it?

I love the signature line one of our members has that says "he ain't happy unless he has some piece of sh!t in the driveway to work on" That one makes me smile every time.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I love the signature line one of our members has that says "he ain't happy unless he has some piece of sh!t in the driveway to work on" That one makes me smile every time.

LOL EZ I havent spotted that one but have to agree with it . I have enough projects to keep me busy for a while :D.

109 thats for the great tutorial . I may have to change up some of my plans now :D.

Rick

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

i wish this was posted before i did my upholstery. i would have went all out. heck...now i can do the bayliner like i wanted to.

thanks a million 109!

...and as far as projects go...SWMBO says i have too many. I say as long as i have projects started then i have job security. think about it...if you finish everything on the honeydo (...and build and fix) list, then she might not have a reason to keep you.:p

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome job and a great tutorial. Did you flip when you seen the price of foam? I made my rear bench the other day, had to grab my heart when I was at Joanns when I seen the tag on that stuff.

Missed this post somehow. You are right though about the foam being EXPENSIVE. I was going to use all new foam, but when I saw the price I decided to salvage and reuse the old stuff. The panels i did above were the few I used new foam because I changed the way it went together a little and the old foam wouldn't work anymore. The piece I bought for this was $15. To reuse the old I first carefully removed it and then I used a bleach/water mix (1 qt bleach to 3 qt water) and soaked the foam to kill anything in it. Then wrung it out and let it dry for a few days before using it. Worked well. The old foam is a little denser and was actually a little easier to work with than the new foam.

skintner

Seaman

Congratulations on a job well done, 109jb!

Like you I am re-using most of the foam from the old upholstery. Did the 1:3 bleach and water thing to kill the mold and mildew.

I love the use of the T-nuts to attach the panels to the gunnels in a hidden fashion... I have been thinking long and hard about how to do that, was seriously considering doing the upholstery in button tuck and using long screws to attach the top row of button studs but your idea has saved me from that hassle and expense. T-nuts and machine screws will be a LOT easier to do, and easier on the budget.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I will post pics of my Bayliner Capri project as soon as I have it all back together. I have a lot of progress photos, but will wait 'til she's done.

steve

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Terrific job and an even better tutorial. You made it look and sound pretty easy...thanks.
Be careful,
John

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks great, and thank you so much for showing us how you did it. I have a older boat I was wanting to upgrade the interior, but had no idea how to do it. Now I do, thanks a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.