Updating the 39 year old Tyee

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Pulled the boat yesterday. I am taking a perfectly good Lund Tyee 5.3 American and making it a ski and tube boat. I had already stripped the old electronics and radio as well as a nest of wires. I am going to remove all the live well plumbing when I take the floor out. I ordered new seats for it too just to update it a little. It is all original 39 year old seats needed replacement. Is it worth the $ to put a ski tower on it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pulled the boat yesterday. I am taking a perfectly good Lund Tyee 5.3 American and making it a ski and tube boat. I had already stripped the old electronics and radio as well as a nest of wires. I am going to remove all the live well plumbing when I take the floor out. I ordered new seats for it too just to update it a little. It is all original 39 year old seats needed replacement. Is it worth the $ to put a ski tower on it?
I would not put a ski tower on it. Look at the turbo swing

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Have a rant about the project already. I ordered the seats they only sold them in pairs, I needed 3 seats. I bit the bullet figured a spare would come in handy. I got home yesterday the seats had been delivered, the seats were shipped individually 4 boxes for 4 seats, sell them in pairs but ship them individually.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I love the boat, it is a 1983. I graduated in 1984 the tyee would be the equivalent of a Camero, a dream boat for a kid that grew up fishing. I have guests up all summer my son hosts weekends with his friends, sure I could buy a new boat but then I would fret about scratches and dings. The boat is an old tank that works awesome.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I figured out why the transom is rock solid but the back 1/3rd of the floor was soft. It is the pedestal seat bases. Behind the windshield there are 4 seat bases in the floor, only 2 were used. The empty seat bases leaked into the foam. Those extras will be removed. Also Scott your suggestion of the turbo wing is awesome mounted on the outside of the transom, allows my son to not have to take a ski tower apart to get at the trolling motor when he runs out of gas.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I figured out why the transom is rock solid but the back 1/3rd of the floor was soft. It is the pedestal seat bases. Behind the windshield there are 4 seat bases in the floor, only 2 were used. The empty seat bases leaked into the foam. Those extras will be removed. Also Scott your suggestion of the turbo wing is awesome mounted on the outside of the transom, allows my son to not have to take a ski tower apart to get at the trolling motor when he runs out of gas.
Replace the trolling motor with a paddle, he will only use it once !!

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Replace the trolling motor with a paddle, he will only use it once !!

In his defense I was running on a 6 gallon fuel cell. Waterskiing with a 115hp 2 stroke with only 6 gallons of gas is problematic. I will be reworking the built in fuel cell.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Trying out how to remedy the seat base issue. Should I weld shut the holes in the bases that drain water to the foam or should I install the pedestals and seal around the stem. We do not move the seats around the boat, once they are in they are in to stay.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would install the bases myself

you could always bolt in a block-off-plate

DeepCMark58A

Commander
In 1983 Lund sure made it easy to replace the floor plywood, I do not have to pull the rod locker or the front windshield, to get the old wood out. Weather cooperating I may have the synthetic teak down by the end of the weekend.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I have a coworker that worked at Lund when my boat was made, he worked on the line where they installed floor panels. I had to text and curse him last night as I was trying to remove one of the 100's of screws in the floor.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a coworker that worked at Lund when my boat was made, he worked on the line where they installed floor panels. I had to text and curse him last night as I was trying to remove one of the 100's of screws in the floor.
LMAO