Unknow part, plese identify

Lonepiper

Seaman Apprentice
The pic below shows a chrome something on my Gypsy 15 that I have not been able to identify. There are 4 of these on the front. What are they for and do I need them?

Thanks

3657450478_8d7ab59f6e.jpg

bhammatt

Cadet
Re: Unknow part, plese identify

They should be in pairs, one on each side of the boat facing each other. They hold a wooden (now a-days plastic) bow that would reach across the boat, bowing upwards and support a canvas boat cover. The arched supports would hold the cover tight so that rain water would shed off and not form a pocket that would allow a puddle to form.

Lonepiper

Seaman Apprentice

That's is how they were. Is something like this still available? The ones I have are pretty badly pitted and dulled. I put them in a vibrator cleaner but that really didn't help much, but I didn't expect it to. What are these called so I can look for them?

bhammatt

Cadet

West Marine has some made by Taylor and they call them Bow Sockets, try model 261891. They are slightly different but might look. I have seen them on Ebay.

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lonepiper, I have a 1979 Caprice, that has the same parts on it. Did you have any luck finding anything for these?