Tsunami in Asia

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tsunami in Asia

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> This may prove to be unprecedented.<br />The reality is, lives can be saved the quicker they receive aid.<br /><br />I decided to donate to the Red Cross. There are many other organizations that are scrambling to provide emergency assistance outside what National governments are providing. I figured its the least I can do.<br /><br /> redcross
I agree.That is what is needed.<br /><br />Here's another link; Relief

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have let this reply slide for a few days as i felt this disaster was not measurable.<br />I feel we should realise that this natural disaster may end up in being the largest natural disaster in human history.<br />News, (if you can call it that), from Indonesia, is that Ache, or maybe best described as the W coast of Sumartra, is completely devestated with no means of teams, even in helicopters, being able to investigate. Aerial recce reports there is nothing left of coastal towns. To date, they just can't find anything up that coastal strip.<br />You have to put it in perspective too. That coast may be over half the length of your entire Eastern Seaboard, and that is only 1 of many countries hit.<br />Then there are countries such as Somalia in Africa. No body has yet been able to get there to acces anything. They may never get there.<br />Another long term problem is that most coastal areas are fertile agricultural land, and that has all be polluted.<br />Sea Six and KaGee.I don't wish to start a bun-fight, but I feel you may be a little hasty in your remarks re donations. These victims had next to nothing to start with, and millions face disease and starvation. We as humans are going to have to assist them just to stay alive.<br />I believe countries not effected by this tradgedy will end up spending billions of $ in aid, as this is not like any Hurricane or Land based Earthquake. This is really really big, and it is just going to grow bigger.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

tylerin

Commander

Just devestating! I was watching the news last night and they mentioned that no animal corps have been found. Seems the animals have a keener sense of disaster than humans.

D

DJ

I feel we should realise that this natural disaster may end up in being the largest natural disaster in human history.<br />
We don't know that. We tend to think that all history started 100 years ago.<br /><br />No doubt horrific and trajic.<br /><br />I hear now That some of the countries are objecting to aid from Isreal.<br /><br />Now who's politicizing the issue?

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, kinda makes my problems seem small and petty in comparison. How blessed are we to be spared such tragedy? Find a way to help if you can. DH

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by Kiwi Phil:<br />I have let this reply slide for a few days as i felt this disaster was not measurable.<br />I feel we should realise that this natural disaster may end up in being the largest natural disaster in human history.<br />News, (if you can call it that), from Indonesia, is that Ache, or maybe best described as the W coast of Sumartra, is completely devestated with no means of teams, even in helicopters, being able to investigate. Aerial recce reports there is nothing left of coastal towns. To date, they just can't find anything up that coastal strip.<br />You have to put it in perspective too. That coast may be over half the length of your entire Eastern Seaboard, and that is only 1 of many countries hit.<br />Then there are countries such as Somalia in Africa. No body has yet been able to get there to acces anything. They may never get there.<br />Another long term problem is that most coastal areas are fertile agricultural land, and that has all be polluted.<br />Sea Six and KaGee.I don't wish to start a bun-fight, but I feel you may be a little hasty in your remarks re donations. These victims had next to nothing to start with, and millions face disease and starvation. We as humans are going to have to assist them just to stay alive.<br />I believe countries not effected by this tradgedy will end up spending billions of $ in aid, as this is not like any Hurricane or Land based Earthquake. This is really really big, and it is just going to grow bigger.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip<br /><br />Thank you Phil, for shedding some light on the size of area affected by this enormous disaster and the logistics involved in bringing aid and relief to these most unfortunate of our fellow man.<br />A cataclysm of unprecedented magnitude without doubt.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

There are some basic things to keep in mind about this tragedy:<br /><br />1) These people need relief NOW! Yes it is important to think about the long-term efforts but people are dying right now and will continue to do so until water, food, and medicine reaches them. Find a way to make a donation or provide direct relief as soon as you can.<br /><br />2) Don't assume anything about what other people or countries are doing or not doing. There is little reliable information from ANY source about who is doing what. Just do what YOU can and let others take care of their own efforts. Let's stop trying to find fault and wasting our energy on non-productive topics. There really is no point in accusing anyone of anything right now. The ramifications for those who need help are far too great to waste any time at all.<br /><br />3) Be careful when selecting an agency through which to provide any donation you make. Remember the fiasco with Red Cross about the 911 victims? Try contacting your local church or civic association to find out how you can help. The more direct your contributions are, the more profound will be their effect.<br /><br />4) If you believe in God, pray for these people. They need everything they can get.<br /><br />5) If you are not religious in the formal sense, please keep these people in your thoughts night and day. Regardless of what you may choose to call it, Karma, aura, prayer, Chi, etc., will have an impact on the outcome.<br /><br />Sorry for sounding so preachy. I'm done and thanks.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I donated by way of the red cross, they were the organisation on the ground in Colombo,Sri Lanka, that helped my niece.<br />It does upset me,that as a nation we spend 5 billion a month on warfare in iraq and so far we only came up with 34 million in aid for this disaster.<br />Self Edit 1-1-2005.<br />The US has since increased this help tenfold.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> I donated by way of the red cross, they were the organisation on the ground in Colombo, that helped my niece.<br />It does upset me,that as a nation we spend 5 billion a month on warfare in iraq and so far we only came up with 34 million in aid for this disaster
That's quite an assesment. :rolleyes:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The U.S. has increased their aid contribution to $350 million today according to CNN.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

No doubt this is a terrible disaster.<br /><br />What really annoys me is the media and others that try to blame this on mankind. Are these people originally from earth? Its time for them to use that energy to help instead of wasting my time. SUV's had nothing to do with this and anyone who believes this, or thinks this has no common sense at all. <br /><br />One thing that scares the crap out of me is that ALL of our coast lines are prone to a disaster like this. <br /><br />Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Typhoons, Tornadoes, Blizzards, and other mother nature occurances cannot be prevented. All one can do is pray it doesn't happen to them.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Terrible as this catastrophy is, it gives us Americans the opportunity to show the world our real character is (as opposed to the one that is often portrayed in the foreign media). So, please do what you can to aid the unfortunate victims of this tragedy. Most importantly, send what you can in the form of US $$$ to the various relief agencies.