Tsunami in Asia

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Tsunami in Asia

posted by DJ<br /><br />KKC, some people will BELIEVE that!<br />
Why? How?<br /><br />I don't get it!<br /><br />What exactly is the point of making a statement like that other than slandering the President?<br /><br />And if it was their intention to slander the President, why is it that the FCC will do absolutly nothing about it?<br /><br />Slander is crime in this country, but I guess it only applies to Republicans and Conservatives!<br /><br />If Limbaugh, or Hannity said anything like that, they would have already been pulled off the air, and fined record amounts!<br /><br />Why is that?<br /><br />Just ranting...

SoulWinner

Commander

This tragedy is off the scale in terms of human loss. At this time, all they can do is dig pits and deposit the dead in them. This means that many of the vacationers from other countries will be buried there anonymously in mass graves. Thier families will never know where they are. Stories of individual tragedy are heart wrenching. With no fresh water, medical facilities overwhelmed....many more will suffer and die. This is terrible, and historically disease kills more people after wards than the tsunami did in the first place.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

can u imagine a 30 foot wall of water? :eek: <br />horrific tradgedy 4 sure.<br />if a 9.0 hit even close to us...

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'll stay focused on the damage we still have here in Florida from 4 hurricanes. Just to help out, I'll send a check equal to ten thousand times the financial aid we got from Asia. I can cover that check.

PW2

Commander

It's not surprising there was no warning. Tsunamis can travel great distances at amazing speeds. 300 to 400 mph. And affect areas far removed from the quake "zone"<br /><br />In the '64 Alaska quake, there was a small tsunami that killed several people in Newport, Oregon.<br /><br />For those that are so worried about George Bush being blamed for this, don't you ever get tired of being victims?<br /><br />There are real victims out there that are somehow trump your worries.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Sea Six:<br /> I think I'll stay focused on the damage we still have here in Florida from 4 hurricanes. Just to help out, I'll send a check equal to ten thousand times the financial aid we got from Asia. I can cover that check.
I'll match that donation SS. :mad:

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> It's not surprising there was no warning. Tsunamis can travel great distances at amazing speeds. 300 to 400 mph. And affect areas far removed from the quake "zone"
PW...<br />It was reported this morning that we (US GEOLOGICAL) did send out a general warning to the countries in the region. It was sent via EMAIL due to time restraints, urgency and no real protocol to issue such a warning. We did not have specific information regarding tidal waves, but did have sufficient info regarding the earthquake to know that there would be a severe tidal wave threat.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> <br />For those that are so worried about George Bush being blamed for this, don't you ever get tired of being victims?<br /><br />There are real victims out there that are somehow trump your worries.
Stop vitimizing us then. I didn't blame Bush, Cofi's droogies DID. Call yer dogs off. These victims need help, not hype from the UN (from us all ,really).<br />This is not the time or place!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Caught an NBC report this evening that stated 60,000 thought to be dead throughout the effected areas, and 60,000 more could be expected to die from disease....<br /> :( <br />Unbelieveable..

PW2

Commander

Yes, I am sure that geologists understood the potential danger and issued some sort of warning.<br /><br />A 9.0 earthquake produces a huge amount of energy, and the oceans are a pretty efficient method of transmitting that energy over a wide area, very quickly. It is not shocking that an email did not quite do the trick<br /><br />I'm sure had there been sirens and loudspeakers broadcasting immediate warning, it could have saved some people, but it all happens so quickly lots of people would have still been lost.<br /><br />As for your concern 12 footer, since no credible scientist anywhere would place the blame of this on anything but a freak of nature, what in the world are you worried about?<br /><br />Besides, we have just been thru a time when john Kerry was accused among other things of singlehandedly losing the Vietnam War, and Bill Clinton has been blamed for every percieved wrong in this country since the time of Ben Franklin, so it is difficult for me to get too sympathetic.<br /><br />You folks on the right made up the rules, you have to accept the consequences of those rules.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may prove to be unprecedented.<br />The reality is, lives can be saved the quicker they receive aid.<br /><br />I decided to donate to the Red Cross. There are many other organizations that are scrambling to provide emergency assistance outside what National governments are providing. I figured its the least I can do.<br /><br /> redcross

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> <br />As for your concern 12 footer, since no credible scientist anywhere would place the blame of this on anything but a freak of nature, what in the world are you worried about?<br /><br />Besides, we have just been thru a time when john Kerry was accused among other things of singlehandedly losing the Vietnam War, and Bill Clinton has been blamed for every percieved wrong in this country since the time of Ben Franklin, so it is difficult for me to get too sympathetic.<br /><br />You folks on the right made up the rules, you have to accept the consequences of those rules.
I'm not interested in your trolls. I'm interested in offering assistance to these countries.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Come on people, this is a tragedy for sure, if you want to give something, fine, if not that's ok also, let's not turn this into another shouting match and I'm done. :rolleyes:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Several people on this thread should be ashamed of their statements. Not very Christian like at all.<br /><br />Asia didnt send any aid to Florida cause we can take care of ourselves.<br /><br />Several countries that are effected are dirt poor and need our help.<br /><br />Several countries dont need our help and if you look at the moneys doled out by Bush, they match each countries requirements. Thailand doesnt need money or help as they can take care of themselves.<br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

I agree with you Ken - during the hurricanes there were lots of under developed countries that sent aid, it just wasn't mentioned because to the American eyes, it was too small.<br /><br />Let's get away from politics and realize that a terrible thing has happened and has hurt and killed a lot of people, and if WE (every human being that is able on earth) don't help, there will be even more pain and suffering.<br /><br />Let's stop the ***-for-tat bickering and realize at the root of it all there are people in need!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I tried to get to www.redcross.org last night and kept getting page faults. I guess they're swamped. Amazon.com is now taking donations on behalf of the Red Cross. I guess they stepped in, or were asked to step in because the Red Cross website couldn't handle the traffic and the Amazon site is much more robust.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We just found out that my wife's nephew was injured, but has survived. He is on his way home now.<br /><br />I will be interested to hear his story. He drove the boat that pulled the tourists on the parasail. I dont think he was on the boat at the time.<br /><br />Now, he is jobless, but lucky to have survived.<br /><br />Ken

gonfishn

Commander

Picture a football or baseball stadium filled to capacity on a Sunday afternoon..Thats about how many people who lost there lives in a few short minutes..<br /><br />The aftermath and health issues that will exist will keep the toll climbing..Mass grave are being dug because in tropical regions bodies decompose at a rapid pace..Many will never see those who died..My heart goes out for all those who have and will suffer..It will cost billions of dollars in aid and years to rebuild..