Tsunami in Asia

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Wow, what a disaster.<br /><br />My wife is from Thailand and luckily all of her family is safe. Her sister was just left Phuket about two days ago. Her cousin operates a tourist boat there and he is fine.<br /><br />All the phones and power is out in this huge tourist area. It will take a while to get it back into shape.<br /><br />My wife will be in Thailand in 10 days. She will stay far away from those areas.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tsunami in Asia

Very hard to fathom. I'm sure we will be seeing more details once communications are restored. Apparently, in Thailand, they were not even aware of the earthquake, then out of the blue, the Big Wave.

D

DJ

Absolutely unbelievable. <br /><br />It just goes to show how arrogant mankind can be. We really have NO chance of changing this world through our actions.<br /><br />I really feel for those people, this one was "out of the blue"-literally.<br /><br />I'll be getting the checkbook out as soon as things settle down a bit and we know where to send it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

My niece is in Sri Lanka.We heard from her an hour ago.She survived with the clothes on her back.She lost everything else.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

How sad! I can't even start to imagine what that kind of loss feels like. How awful!<br />Bassy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Over 20,000 dead. Just terrible.<br /><br />I have been very near to this island. Not only is there tremendous loss of life, it has devistated the local tourist spots. The majority of thailands economy depends on these areas. This will have long lasting effects.<br />***************************************<br /><br />US Honeymooners Survive Tsunami on Thai Island<br /><br />1 hour, 44 minutes ago Top Stories - Reuters <br /> <br /><br />By Karishma Vyas <br /><br />PHUKET, Thailand (Reuters) - William Robins vowed Monday to change his life forever after the professional golfer from California and his new bride, Amanda, narrowly escaped death in the grip of a tsunami. <br /><br /> <br /><br />The newlyweds were honeymooning on Phi Phi island -- made famous by the film "The Beach" starring Leonardo DiCaprio -- when a giant tsunami wave slammed into it Sunday. <br /><br /><br />"I honestly thought this is the worst way to die. I thought I'm not meant to die like this," Robins, 26, told Reuters as he lay in a hospital bed in Phuket, his collar bone broken and most of his right ear torn off. <br /><br /><br />Robins and Amanda, who lay next to him with a fractured pelvis, were among hundreds of tourists stranded on Phi Phi after the massive wave washed onto the island. <br /><br /><br />The couple were strolling near the beach Sunday when they heard people screaming and saw tourists jumping off boats. <br /><br /><br />"We thought it was a terrorist bomb, so we jumped over a hotel fence and hid in a storage room," Robins said. <br /><br /><br />"We held hands and crouched in the corner. Then we heard a rumbling explosion that didn't end." <br /><br /><br />Moments later, their hiding place collapsed around them, Amanda said. <br /><br /><br />"We were pushed through two layers of concrete and forced to let go of each other's hands," said the 27-year-old teacher. <br /><br /><br />They were pulled underwater and swept 150 yards out to sea. <br /><br /><br />"There were broken pieces of wood and bits of metal everywhere. It smelled of gasoline," Robins said. <br /><br /><br />Suddenly, they saw a hotel employee in a boat searching for lost family members. <br /><br /><br />"We were screaming. We said if we don't get on this boat, we're dead," Robins said. <br /><br /><br />The man tossed them a line and pulled them into the boat. By nightfall, they were in hospital on Phuket. <br /><br /><br />"We both came within 0.1 seconds of not seeing each other. There are going to be changes in our life from now on. We're going to take a lot of the bulls--- out," Robins said. <br /><br /><br />More than 22,000 people are now believed to have died on Sunday after a magnitude 9.0 earthquake off Indonesia's Sumatra island sparked tsunami waves that crashed into shorelines around the Bay of Bengal. In Thailand, the toll stood at 839 on Monday evening.

one more cast

Captain

One woman was holding her baby and trying to get to her other child who was playing in the yard when the wave hit. She lost both of her kids. That is so sad.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

CNN International has the best coverage.<br /><br />The American TV stations dont even care. They are pathetic as usual.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> CNN International has the best coverage.<br /><br />The American TV stations dont even care. They are pathetic as usual.<br /><br />Ken
They'd only blame it on George Bush anyway...You are right they are pathetic... Fox has had some live coverage this morning. I think part of the problem is lack of personell in that part of the world.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

The magnitude of this tragedy demands every ounce of man's humanity to his fellow man.<br />What a huge disaster :(

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

By request.<br /><br />neumanns <br />Member # 19833 posted December 27, 2004 09:50 AM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> Whatching this on the news is just UNCOMPREHENSABLE! An estimated 21,000 dead, Lord knows how many missing and an estimated 1 Million left homeless. What does the local news cover, six americans feared dead...but that is another thread. My thoughts go out to EVERYONE touched by such an enormous disaster. Unbelievable! <br /> <br />KKC <br />Member # 15603 posted December 27, 2004 09:55 AM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> I too cannot phathom what those people must have gone through!<br /><br />Truely unbelievable!<br /><br />I too will wait for the next thread to bash the media for not covering this.<br /><br />I cannot believe it all happened in 1 min. 10 seconds. <br /> <br />neumanns <br />Member # 19833 posted December 27, 2004 09:57 AM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> Mods can you combine this with the other thread...I didn't notice it when I posted this! thanks.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Absolutely unbelievable. <br /><br />It just goes to show how arrogant mankind can be. We really have NO chance of changing this world through our actions.<br /><br />I really feel for those people, this one was "out of the blue"-literally.<br /><br />I'll be getting the checkbook out as soon as things settle down a bit and we know where to send it.
Agreed, but there are fruitloops out there allready BLAMING this on mankind and his actions, like the NY Times. I don't read that POS paper, but heard Jeff Beck talking about it on Limbaugh's talk show. There are still people in the process of dying because of this horrific tragedy, and these azzclowns don't have the common decency to concentrate on rescue/recovery efforts, while they blame it on SUVs and "global warming"! It's appaling!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SUV's caused an earthquake?<br />First time I have heard that one.<br /><br />Sad, sad time for Earth once again.

KennyKenCan

Commander

"Air America" has just made the claim, that this tsunami is George Bush's fault!<br /><br />They claim that he could have told them it was comming!<br /><br />This is totally rediculous, vengeful, arrogant, BS statement!<br /><br />Oh yeah, the War of 1812 was George Bush's fault too!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Very interesting read.<br />______________________________________________<br />Geologic plates pressing against each other slipped violently, creating a bulge on the sea bottom that could be as high as 10 yards and hundreds of miles long, one scientist said. <br /><br />It's just like moving an enormous paddle at the bottom of the sea,'' said David Booth, a seismologist at the British Geological Survey. A big column of water has moved, we're talking about billions of tons. This is an enormous disturbance.'' <br /><br />Moving at about 500 mph, the waves took more than two hours to reach Sri Lanka, where the human toll has been horrific, and longer to spread to India and the east coast of Africa. <br /><br /><br />And because such tidal waves rarely occur in the Indian Ocean, there is no system in place to warn coastal communities they are about to be hit, such as exists in the Pacific, Booth said. <br /><br /><br />With 20-20 vision of hindsight, that'll be reconsidered,'' he said. <br /><br /><br />An Australian scientist had suggested in September that an Indian Ocean warning system be set up, but it takes a year to create one. Also, those living along the Indian Ocean's shores were less likely than Pacific coastal dwellers to know the warning signs of an impending tidal wave - water receding unusually fast and far from the shore, Booth said. <br /><br /><br />Thousands were killed in countries from Indonesia to Somalia. <br /><br /><br />The underwater quake, which the U.S. Geological Survey put at magnitude 9.0, was the biggest since 1964, when a 9.2-magnitude temblor struck Alaska, also touching off tsunami waves. There were at least a half-dozen powerful aftershocks, one of magnitude 7.3. <br /><br /><br />Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute, likened the quake's power to detonating a million atomic bombs the size of those dropped on Japan during World War II, and said the shaking was so powerful it even disturbed the Earth's rotation. <br /><br /><br />All the planet is vibrating'' from the quake, he told Italian state radio. Other scientists said it was early too say whether the rotation was affected by the quake. <br /><br /><br />The earthquake occurred at a spot where the Indian Ocean plate is gradually being forced underneath Sumatra, which is part of the Eurasian plate, at about the speed at which a human fingernail grows, Booth explained. <br /><br /><br />This slipping doesn't occur smoothly,'' he said. Rocks along the edge stick against one another and pent-up energy builds over hundreds of years. <br /><br /><br />It's almost like stretching an elastic band, and then when the strength of the rock isn't sufficient to withstand the stress, then all along the fault line the rocks will move,'' he said. <br /><br /><br />Indonesia is well-known as a major quake center, sitting along a series of fault lines dubbed the Ring of Fire.'' But scientists are unable to predict where and when quakes will strike with any precision. <br /><br /><br />The force of Sunday's earthquake shook unusually far afield, causing buildings to sway hundreds of miles from the epicenter, from Singapore to the city of Chiang Mai in northern Thailand, and in Bangladesh. <br /><br /><br />The quake probably occurred about 6.2 miles beneath the ocean floor, causing the huge, step-like protrusion on the sea bed and the resulting tidal waves. <br /><br /><br />As the waves moved across deep areas of the ocean in the early morning, they may have been almost undetectable on the surface, with swells of about a yard or less. But when they approached land the huge volumes of water were forced to the surface and the waves grew higher, swamping coastal communities and causing massive casualties.

D

DJ

KKC quoted.<br /><br /><br />
"Air America" has just made the claim, that this tsunami is George Bush's fault!<br /><br />They claim that he could have told them it was comming!<br /><br />This is totally rediculous, vengeful, arrogant, BS statement!<br /><br />Oh yeah, the War of 1812 was George Bush's fault too!<br /><br />
KKC, some people will BELIEVE that!<br /><br />Yes, talk radio had some "whackos" calling in today stating it was because of the USA's carving into mountains and drilling for oil. Please, give me a break. :rolleyes: <br /><br />It has come out that the "authorities" of the effected nations knew what was coming, yet they decided not to give a warning.<br /><br />Inexcuseable, in my book.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

This AM they're reporting at least 40,000 dead. What a mind-boggling tradgedy. They're going to need LOTS of help on this one.