Trim/tilt rams: delete?

So I have been restoring a 1978 Beachliner. Merc 160....trim pump went out, Can't afford to have it fixed. Can I just remove rams, hold drive up with 3 or 4" piece of PVC and not use reverse?

matt167

Rear Admiral
No offense but if you can’t afford the pump, you can’t afford the fuel. Check ebay as used pumps are often found for little of nothing ( in marine parts cost terms ) and the biggest failure is the relays. They are serviceable units

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious. How could you afford to restore a 1978 anything? I am restoring my 1988 Sylvan and I am in it to almost 5000 bucks and that's parts only and some sublets. All the labor is mine. I wonder where I went wrong?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just curious. How could you afford to restore a 1978 anything? I am restoring my 1988 Sylvan and I am in it to almost 5000 bucks and that's parts only and some sublets. All the labor is mine. I wonder where I went wrong?
Actually you didn't go wrong, you're doing it right. A good resto is expensive. I figure over 20 years I've spent approx $4500 on structural repairs, $4500 on an Imron paint job and about $2000 on a top end overhaul and new exhaust system. Do it right the first time.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
So I have been restoring a 1978 Beachliner. Merc 160....trim pump went out, Can't afford to have it fixed. Can I just remove rams, hold drive up with 3 or 4" piece of PVC and not use reverse?
Are you sure the trim pump is bad?
It could be the up/down relays.

Mine has two relays (solenoids). One for up and one for down. Those things can easily fail especially if the boat has been sitting for a while. The contacts get corroded and nothing happens when you push the button. They are very inexpensive. Under $20 if I recall.

I would try to energize the trim motor without the relay(s). Basically bypassing the relays.
On mine, the blue (like the sky) wire is up, green (like the grass) is down and the third wire is the negative.

You can easily apply temporary 12 volt positive to either the blue or green to see if the motor responds. Make sure you get good contact with shiny clean wire. Take a blue or green off the relay, clean it up nice and shiny, then apply 12 volt positive.

Report back....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,....... Welcome Aboard,....... How did ya come to that conclusion,..??..??

I was merely wondering...any I really appreciate the support above. Not "afford" ing it referred to paying a tech to sort it all out. However, I have a spare pump assembly I could always try. I'm just not real good with electrical stuff at all.
Are you sure the trim pump is bad?
It could be the up/down relays.

Mine has two relays (solenoids). One for up and one for down. Those things can easily fail especially if the boat has been sitting for a while. The contacts get corroded and nothing happens when you push the button. They are very inexpensive. Under $20 if I recall.

I would try to energize the trim motor without the relay(s). Basically bypassing the relays.
On mine, the blue (like the sky) wire is up, green (like the grass) is down and the third wire is the negative.

You can easily apply temporary 12 volt positive to either the blue or green to see if the motor responds. Make sure you get good contact with shiny clean wire. Take a blue or green off the relay, clean it up nice and shiny, then apply 12 volt positive.

Report back....
Thanks, I'll try it...

Attachments

• 20210314_183757_HDR.jpg
    20210314_183757_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210314_183825_HDR.jpg
    20210314_183825_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210314_184017.jpg
    20210314_184017.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9

Scott06

Admiral
I was merely wondering...any I really appreciate the support above. Not "afford" ing it referred to paying a tech to sort it all out. However, I have a spare pump assembly I could always try. I'm just not real good with electrical stuff at all.

Thanks, I'll try it...
Before you try go through so e diagnostics here what is it doing. Dont just replace the pump check the circut out

Post what kind of switch is at the helm/dash, alot of the older boats had a 3 button trim control there. Also how many solenoid valves are there near the trim pump, will be either one or two controlling the trim motor. Post some pictures.. we probably have the schematics and and help guide troubleshooting before changing anything.