Trim Pump Wiring Help Please

trikeman72

Seaman
With reference points from an old topic titled, https://forums.iboats.com/threads/single-solenoid-trim-pump-wiring.580242/

I got a new solenoid but B and D are on one side, 'how do I wire this in then?
Thank you...
So if I split the two small terminals with the big ones how it’s in pic and imagine one on the top and bottom then I need to know what big terminal to make + if it matters then I can wire the other wires up fine. Btw it’ll bolt up with either small terminals on top or on the bottom. Top be easier to work on so I’d prefer that way. But I’m still stuck coz the new sol don’t have a + by either big terminal 🙁
Thanks for any help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It doesn't matter. You can put a big wire on either terminal, as long as you keep all the wires from any one terminal together. Same with the small terminals and wires.

Here's what I'd do... (you are free to not follow this, but as long as you keep all the wires that come from a particular terminal together, you'll be fine.)
1625318407413.png

trikeman72

Seaman
It doesn't matter. You can put a big wire on either terminal, as long as you keep all the wires from any one terminal together. Same with the small terminals and wires.

Here's what I'd do... (you are free to not follow this, but as long as you keep all the wires that come from a particular terminal together, you'll be fine.)
View attachment 344453
Sweet thanks man I’ll do that tomorrow 🤙🏻👍🏻

trikeman72

Seaman
Well so I hooked up new solenoid still have same problem. Push down button (bottom of 3) pump runs. Push top or up button nothing no click nothing. Push top and middle buttons still nothing. Im tryin to find a thread that shows what terminals abcd to test and what I should have.
I also noticed po don’t have the trim senders from the outdrive hooked to anything. I never use trim when boating I stick it in the water and yay I’m fishing not running a race 😂
Just need to be able to lift it up to trailer and down once in water ya know?
I did notice a red wire that goes to an inline fuse thing then goes to the d post on solenoid
A is top small post B is right big post C bottom small post D left big post is how I’m referencing them

trikeman72

Seaman
AE3EB219-281A-4D6B-A8B1-2ACD0C8A7577.jpegSee the blue wire goes to big post if I jump two big posts it should go up right?
what do I test to see if maybe that 40a in-line is bad on the small red wire??

View attachment 344804See the blue wire goes to big post if I jump two big posts it should go up right?
what do I test to see if maybe that 40a in-line is bad on the small red wire??
If you send 12 volts to that blue wire and the black ground wire on the motor is grounded well, it will bypass the solenoid wiring and power the motor to run up. Jumping the two big posts should will do it, as long as there is 12 volts on the other post. A test light or multi meter will confirm it for you.

To test that 40 amp in line fuse, you can use the same test light or multi meter to see if voltage is on both sides of the fuse.

Last edited:

trikeman72

Seaman
If you send 12 volts to that blue wire and the black ground wire on the motor is grounded well, it will bypass the solenoid wiring and power the motor to run up. Jumping the two big posts should will do it, as long as there is 12 volts on the other post. A test light or multi meter will confirm it for you.

To test that 40 amp in line fuse, you can use the same test light or multi meter to see if voltage is on both sides of the fuse.
Ok thanks eric
Wll so this tomorrow and see how it goes

achris

#2 Single solenoid.jpg

Solenoid: A and C are the big terminals, B and D are the small ones.

trikeman72

Seaman
That black wire goes to neg on battery. There’s a wire goin from engine to top of motor but it’s old looks like po twisted it together I didn’t replace
That one coz the one on sop goes to battery should I go ahead and run a new ground wire from the top of motor to the flywheel housing?
yiud think it would ground being bolted to the housing on motor and battery terminal goes to the block ya know?

trikeman72

Seaman
update. If I jump Aand C motor runs
If I run a 12v from battery to C it runs
The 40 amp inline I tested using the beep when I touch a lead to each side so that’s good too
I’m in process of changing that ground wire on top of motor housing to the flywheel housing
Dropped a nut and it vaporized had to get another one figured it check in and see what progress I’ve made

trikeman72

Seaman
Also the black wire on B one is a short wire that screws to the motor housing the other goes to the neg on battery. Not sure how it’s a ground issue. Unless I confused myself don’t it mean the sol is bad if u run power to C and it works? Or is that mean ground is bad? I never took the end of the ground going to B off at the motor case. Reattaching the other ground wire and ill
Be back to see what u guys think is wrong
Thanks again

So to continue testing, if the black ground on the pump is tied into the ground on the solenoid (B) terminal, then you know that ground is good because the pump ran. I would test the solenoid itself by now jumping A and D.
If the solenoid is good it should also run the pump but now through the solenoid. When D gets 12 volts, it connects A & C internally.

When you jumped A and C, you bypassed the solenoid to test the pump itself, next would be to test the solenoid.

So D is not getting power, that is why your drive isn't working for up. Look at Achris' wiring diagram in post in #9. Follow that wire connected to D, it runs back to junction where it splits to two wires, one goes to the trim limit switch, and the other runs to the top switch of the 3 button control at the dash/helm.

On the back of the middle button of the 3 button control, is a purple wire and red wire. Red should have 12 volts all time, it is jumped off the red wire on the bottom switch which is working for you. Do you have power on the red wire on the middle switch?

If So.... Purple will get 12 volts when the middle switch is turned on. Does it?
When the purple wire gets 12 volts, it should also power the purple wire on the top button.

With both the middle and top buttons both on, the blue wire on the top button should have power and so should your terminal "D" on your solenoid, and your motor should be powered up.

trikeman72

Seaman
Ok I’m on it 👍🏻
I know there’s 2 loose wires from the trim senders on outdrive. And another two loose
Wires with a bullet connector and a ring connector. I never really worried about making the trim tabs work right coz I never trim it while boating. If it’s a have to to make the drive go up then I guess I fix it.
im going to take the switch out of consol so I can push buttons and test easier
Also is that 3 button something I can clean the contacts? Idk why only top wouldn’t work but still it’s a 79 boat so 😂
I’ll let
Ya know what I find out testing switch this evening it’s like 105 out now

achris

... coz I never trim it while boating....
😱😱😱

I use the trim more than the throttle... Changing trim to smooth out the ride, adjust for passenger distribution, or to get the bow up in a following sea is what the trim is there for.

trikeman72

Seaman
Just seems more work than needed idk I throttle to where I wanna fish and shut off and fish don’t really need any adjusting 😂