Trim Pump Wiring Help Please

trikeman72

Seaman
So D is not getting power, that is why your drive isn't working for up. Look at Achris' wiring diagram in post in #9. Follow that wire connected to D, it runs back to junction where it splits to two wires, one goes to the trim limit switch, and the other runs to the top switch of the 3 button control at the dash/helm.

On the back of the middle button of the 3 button control, is a purple wire and red wire. Red should have 12 volts all time, it is jumped off the red wire on the bottom switch which is working for you. Do you have power on the red wire on the middle switch?

If So.... Purple will get 12 volts when the middle switch is turned on. Does it?
When the purple wire gets 12 volts, it should also power the purple wire on the top button.

With both the middle and top buttons both on, the blue wire on the top button should have power and so should your terminal "D" on your solenoid, and your motor should be powered up.
I have to be missing power at the middle button coz I’m not sure using the middle button matters as far as making it go down ya know?
gonna see if I can get under dash to grab some testing on the switch buttons now

trikeman72

Seaman
Am I correct in guessing power goes
From battery to the bottom button then up from
There to middle and top?

Yes, the bottom button powers the drive down, the middle is for trim, and top is for trailer. Middle and top both have to be on for trailer.

Last edited:

trikeman72

Seaman
Ok I think I found the problem but not sure.
the blue wire has a split but it goes to nothin
I found a purple w white stripe that has the same kind of connector but goes to nothing.
mic I look at the ends of them the wire coating is brittle and comes off are these spose to be hooked together? Or I’d that the wire that goes to the trim sender wires? Here’s pics
The black wires with a ring end and a male are from the trim senders on outdrive they weren’t on anything either.

Attachments

• 4A9131D7-BC29-4B96-BAAF-586213C86F4E.jpeg
    4A9131D7-BC29-4B96-BAAF-586213C86F4E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 3790B499-29E4-49AB-B344-8A850A2A1E0F.jpeg
    3790B499-29E4-49AB-B344-8A850A2A1E0F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 2BFEE5D8-85CE-4FB7-B22E-1F9EBAA95B48.jpeg
    2BFEE5D8-85CE-4FB7-B22E-1F9EBAA95B48.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

trikeman72

Seaman
Ok I found a wire without a fuse in it the red wire from bottom jumps up to the middle button
I hooked those together and it worked when I push top and middle. Nothing just pushing top
Now. I tried again and it didn’t work. Then it did. Now I hear it click? Back by motor when I push middle and top button. No click or nothing just pushing top button
No idea where to go now

Attachments

• 8F037284-02B7-40D7-BE26-92060FCE4BAC.jpeg
    8F037284-02B7-40D7-BE26-92060FCE4BAC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 9A8F8F20-0432-4D4A-B0B9-2876D9CF0F92.jpeg
    9A8F8F20-0432-4D4A-B0B9-2876D9CF0F92.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

trikeman72

Seaman
Yes, the bottom button powers the drive down, the middle is for trim, and top is for trailer. Middle and top both have to be on for trailer.
Oh so
Top only is nothing?
im getting a click when I push middle and top It worked a cpl times but now just a click bottom still works find

trikeman72

Seaman
Lol ok I was tryin to figure out trim up I thought would be middle and top but that’s trailer.
now it’s working again when I push middle and top so not sure what’s dirty but it’s getting better or something idk

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just seems more work than needed...
It's a thumb switch. The only 'work' required is to move your thumb up or down.

Or are you only ever running on (small) lakes? When you're in an ocean, you'll come to love and cherish a trim switch...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Lol ok I was tryin to figure out trim up I thought would be middle and top but that’s trailer.
now it’s working again when I push middle and top so not sure what’s dirty but it’s getting better or something idk
IN for down.
UP (middle button) will trim the drive up to the point of the limit switch. If the limit switch is broken/disconnected, then the middle button will do nothing, ever.
OUT (top button) is used WITH the middle button to get the drive to full tilt once the middle button stops working.
By itself, the top button will do nothing, ever.

If the trim limit switch is broken/disconnected, then you will always need to press the top and middle buttons together to get the drive to go up.

If pressing two buttons together is too much for you, you can jumper out the trim limit switch. Then the middle button will get you from all the way down to all the way up, without having to press the top button, ever.

One more thing. The trim sender (for the gauge) has nothing to do with the trim pump. It's not connected in any way to the pump circuits or controls, it's only connected to the gauge, nothing else.

Chris...

Ok I found a wire without a fuse in it the red wire from bottom jumps up to the middle button
I hooked those together and it worked when I push top and middle. Nothing just pushing top
Now. I tried again and it didn’t work. Then it did. Now I hear it click? Back by motor when I push middle and top button. No click or nothing just pushing top button
No idea where to go now
That photo on the right side in post #25. Those blue connectors that stab into wiring to tap another wire are junk. I'd recommend changing them out to heat shrink butt connectors or soldering the wiring together and slide heat shrink over the connection. If you have any twisted wires, or electrical wire nuts in your system they should also go.

Those blue and purple wires probably went to the trim limit sensor in the drive, They will/should have voltage on them and the ends should be taped off at least so they don't touch ground and short.

trikeman72

Seaman
I’m gonna go head and top off
It's a thumb switch. The only 'work' required is to move your thumb up or down.

Or are you only ever running on (small) lakes? When you're in an ocean, you'll come to love and cherish a trim switch...
not many oceans in Arizona 😂

trikeman72

Seaman
IN for down.
UP (middle button) will trim the drive up to the point of the limit switch. If the limit switch is broken/disconnected, then the middle button will do nothing, ever.
OUT (top button) is used WITH the middle button to get the drive to full tilt once the middle button stops working.
By itself, the top button will do nothing, ever.

If the trim limit switch is broken/disconnected, then you will always need to press the top and middle buttons together to get the drive to go up.

If pressing two buttons together is too much for you, you can jumper out the trim limit switch. Then the middle button will get you from all the way down to all the way up, without having to press the top button, ever.

One more thing. The trim sender (for the gauge) has nothing to do with the trim pump. It's not connected in any way to the pump circuits or controls, it's only connected to the gauge, nothing else.

Chris...
Awesome so I’m gonna top off pump resivoir and see what happens hoping I got leak fixed also. Was a loose hose
I appreciate all the help
Bill