Treated plywood on aluminum deck

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand using treated wood on aluminum is a bad idea. I have used treated plywood for my decking a while back and does not seem to have any issues. wonder if I need to swap it out, if so, with what.
I also need to replace my transom now after 20 years..........again. I used non treated plywood but put fiberglass around it......no go, so is there a particular wood to use for the transom? I do not want to do this again.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Have you taken the deck boards up to see if you have any corrosion forming where it makes contact with the treated ply ? Bare wood to bare aluminum might start at some point . If some sort of barrier in between the 2 then it may be ok .
Idk . Certainly something to keep an eye on .
New transom , ya got 20 out of a glassed piece of ply . I would use marine grade and epoxy .. make sure all penetrations are sealed really well . Then go fish for another 20 or 30 years .. jmo

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was thinking about using some outdoor paint then covering with an epoxy resin. thoughts?

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you taken the deck boards up to see if you have any corrosion forming where it makes contact with the treated ply ? Bare wood to bare aluminum might start at some point . If some sort of barrier in between the 2 then it may be ok .
Idk . Certainly something to keep an eye on .
New transom , ya got 20 out of a glassed piece of ply . I would use marine grade and epoxy .. make sure all penetrations are sealed really well . Then go fish for another 20 or 30 years .. jmo
Oh, to answer your question, I pulled up the bow portion I replaced 30 years ago with treated and everything looked fine............yes I replaced it with treated. I have been looking in the dfw area for marine plywood and so far everything is special order. I will keep looking. thanks for the response