Transporting a gasoline powered lawn mower

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A co-worker asked about the law for transporting his lawn mower from NC to NY in a van/truck. I have no clue as to the restrictions. All vehicles have some type of fuel, what is different about gasoline powered tools?

Thanks,
Nick

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Transporting a gasoline powered lawn mower

A co-worker asked about the law for transporting his lawn mower from NC to NY in a van/truck. I have no clue as to the restrictions. All vehicles have some type of fuel, what is different about gasoline powered tools?

The van or truck that would be transporting the lawn mower does not vent it's gasoline vapors into the passengers compartment or an enclosed space. That is what's different.

Your basic small engine powered piece of equipment has a vented gas tank primarily to allow air into the the tank to replace the volume of fuel being drawn out of the tank by the carburetor while the engine is running. If this is just a simple pin hole vent, gas fumes can also vent out of the tank while the engine is off.

caretaker1

Cadet

Don't really know about the legality (my assumption is that this is perfectly legal) but I would not recommend the enclosed van, unless its like a uhaul and the box is separate from the cab. At the same time if any gas does leak/vent out you have gas fumes trapped in there. I would recommend the truck and haul away. Regulations don't normally come into effect until you up the quantity of gasoline dramatically (like 120 gallons) This is one of those common sense things (would you worry about carrying a 5 gallon gas can that far?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Back in the day we used to transport our motocross bikes in the back of a van. With all the smells in that old van I can't say I ever felt overcome with gas fumes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Boy,

Am I glad I don't live back east, we transport our small gas engine vehicles and mowers just about anyway we can, no problems at all. But I agree with Augoose, why not just drain it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

drain the gas and oil (just flip it over and drain everything - fuel and oil). then leave the caps off to let everything dry for a day.

then haul it.

however its usually easier to sell the one lawnmower locally and buy one at the new location.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

For all of you that do NOT have a pick-up:

How do you all haul the gas can home from the station, so you can mow the lawn?

FMCSA regs and internal government dept rules are not applied to the private citizen consumer.
Other laws may apply.

Now, if you were in Canada...... propane, been there, done that, got scolded !

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

FMCSA regs and internal government dept rules are not applied to the private citizen consumer.
Other laws may apply... !

I was using those two links as an example. If an internal department rule allows for a gas can to be transported with little regulation in NY then certainly a consumer would not run into any trouble.

dolluper

Captain

Thats funny Roscoe....you saying we have more sence...lols

caretaker1

Cadet

where is it a problem to haul things like this? I could fill two fifty five gallon barrels full of high test and put "EXTREMELY EXPLOSIVE" on the side in big letters and drive around all day and never even think about getting stopped. I can't imagine living in a place where you cant haul a lawnmower with the 2-8 gallons that it might hold.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is no big deal untill you go over X amout of fuel then you must be plackered. Thinking about 500 gaallons of gas.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Gas cans you can close the vent. I can't imagine driving any distance with the gas can vent open, it stinks with even a small spillage.
We used to transport everything in the back of a van like the motorcross bike example. If you don't want to drain it, just close the gas petcock, run the bowl dry and place a baggie over the fill hole before screwing the cap back on. It's now a sealed system and won't vent into the passenger space.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A co-worker asked about the law for transporting his lawn mower from NC to NY in a van/truck.

Thanks,
Nick

I think the original poster may have been referring to commercial vans and trailer, not his personal mini-van or personal trailer, car, truck or whatever.

Commercial companies have rules they have to follow, and no gas and oil in moving vans is one of them.

levittownnick

Thank to all, I knew that this is the community to come to for worth-while answers.

Nick

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Thats funny Roscoe....you saying we have more sence...lols

Uhhhh, well, sometimes. :)

I did think it was really silly not to be able to haul a propane tank home from getting it filled.
How do you all get the grill tank filled if you don't have a pickup truck or trailer?

The fill station operator gave us a hard time, and was trying to get us to buy charcoal and fluid from him. Like that is going to run a furnace in a camper. He actually had the police there before we were done shopping.

He really ticked off my nephew.
Nephew left all the groceries in the checkout. Boogered up the brass threads on the tank, and left it there. Told the guy, well you know.

levittownnick

Uhhhh, well, sometimes. :)

I did think it was really silly not to be able to haul a propane tank home from getting it filled.
How do you all get the grill tank filled if you don't have a pickup truck or trailer?

The fill station operator gave us a hard time, and was trying to get us to buy charcoal and fluid from him. Like that is going to run a furnace in a camper. He actually had the police there before we were done shopping.

He really ticked off my nephew.
Nephew left all the groceries in the checkout. Boogered up the brass threads on the tank, and left it there. Told the guy, well you know.

It is my understanding that a propane tank is not to be transported in the trunk of a car BUT it is permissable to transport it in the passanger compartment. The logic being that a leaking tank would be detected by the driver and the driver would have the sense to pull over and remove the tank from the vehicle. Propane tanks are not to be stored in enclosed spaces (garage or shed). They are typically stored in screened in cages.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In Ontario:

Cylinders must be transported upright and secured in place, so they won't move around in a vehicle.

In a passenger vehicle, cylinders must be secured, on the rear floor, upright, with the window open or in the trunk inside a secured tote box and with the trunk partially open to ensure proper ventilation.

Kind of hard to do "on the spot". And pretty much impossible with many of the smaller cars of today.

dolluper

Captain

Interesting Roscoe its awful to hear you were subjected to that kind of treatment....only one place around I could think off would be like that they have COST in their name....stickkures on more than that also... hard to deal with....their auto section sucks....thats where propane refills are also