Transom

Jking9203

Cadet
Hi guys, I have a 67 fiberglass Starcraft boat.it was my fathers I recently inherited. I know I’ll need to replace the transom at some point. When I pull up and down on the motor the motor doesn’t flex off of the transom. I’m trying to save up to replace it. But I also want to use the boat. Is there a way I can check to see if it’s safe to operate?. I pulled the part of the top cap off to check out the wood. It’s dry and isn’t chipping. Any info on how to see if it’s safe would appreciated!

Jking9203

Cadet
Hi guys, I have a 67 fiberglass Starcraft boat.it was my fathers I recently inherited. I know I’ll need to replace the transom at some point. When I pull up and down on the motor the motor doesn’t flex off of the transom. I’m trying to save up to replace it. But I also want to use the boat. Is there a way I can check to see if it’s safe to operate?. I pulled the part of the top cap off to check out the wood. It’s dry and isn’t chipping. Any info on how to see if it’s safe would appreciated!
I should also add it only has a 50 hp Yamaha on the back 190 pounds. Also I took the drain plug tube out and felt the wood. It’s solid and not chopping off

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
You can take core samples which is the only way to tell in areas you cannot see. You need a 1/4 drill bit and then some resin, catalyst, cabosil, and chopped strand. Drill the lowest point you can on the inside of the transom in a couple spots. Do not go all the way through and inspect the shavings. If they are damp a replacement is in the future, if it is black and rotted it needs replacement now, if dry you are good to go. Once you determined it is safe for use mix up some thickened resin "PB" and fill the holes.

Jking9203

Cadet
You can take core samples which is the only way to tell in areas you cannot see. You need a 1/4 drill bit and then some resin, catalyst, cabosil, and chopped strand. Drill the lowest point you can on the inside of the transom in a couple spots. Do not go all the way through and inspect the shavings. If they are damp a replacement is in the future, if it is black and rotted it needs replacement now, if dry you are good to go. Once you determined it is safe for use mix up some thickened resin "PB" and fill the holes.
Is there any other test I could to make sure everything is good for right now?

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Was the boat garage kept? Or has the transom been replaced before? Just curious a boat that is of that age with a solid transom would be impressive. Although not impossible from what I hear, I have a 73 sea ray that was not fortunate enough to be solid.

If you are doing a core sample I would also test the stringers. Also check for soft spots in the floor. If one spot is soft more than likely the stringers will need replacing also.

Tizok

Recruit
Sounds like it was garaged or well covered, I agree that someone replaced that transom , but I’d do the test for a peace of mind. Also 190 lbs /50 ho it’s not that strenuous, how wide is the beam? Good luck

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Watch for cracks on the top corners of the transom, where it meets the gunwales. When you see those, or other deformation on the transom, you are close to transom failure. Other than that, it sounds like you have some time.

Tizok

Recruit
Watch for cracks on the top corners of the transom, where it meets the gunwales. When you see those, or other deformation on the transom, you are close to transom failure. Other than that, it sounds like you have some time.

Tizok

Recruit
Hi Chris, sounds like you’ve done transom work before, maybe you can give me a advise, I’m redoing a transom from the inside, would it be to do a 3 piece 48”x 25” eg.6” left, 32” center, 6@ right ? Thanks

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Chris, sounds like you’ve done transom work before, maybe you can give me a advise, I’m redoing a transom from the inside, would it be to do a 3 piece 48”x 25” eg.6” left, 32” center, 6@ right ? Thanks
You will get better help for your situation by starting your own thread and including the type of boat and pictures.