Transom

David grubb

Cadet
Can you put a Johnson engine on a boat that had a merk on it. The reason I ask is because the holes don't match up and to put the 150 Johnson on I'll have to drill new holes and I was wanting to know if that's ok to do or if I need to replace the transom on it it's a 92 astro boat that's having it done

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom

Dave, Yes you can definetly bolt that Johnson to your transom. Make sure the engine "shaft" lengths are the same. You're going to have to fill those old holes and I would recommend marinetex. If they're below the water line, I would then lay a couple of layers of glass over them, just to play it safe. It's probably overkill, but that's me. Marinetex is incredible stuff and it's easy to work with, just follow the instructions. How do those holes look? Is the plywood compromised from water damage? If so, you will want to do some further investigation to determine the soundness of your transom. If everything checks out ok, once the old holes are filled, mount the new motor. Drill your new holes slighly larger than the bolts, then fill them with 5200 and insert the bolts.

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom

I totally agree with what ljc1957 said it is very easy to do.

Last edited: