transom repair

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: transom repair

That worked. Great looking boat. Have at 'er!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't over think it, 3/4 ply works very well, luan isn't a great product for marine type use.

jeff akin

Cadet

ok I seem to always look for a better way and sometimes overthink things

jeff akin

Cadet

Ok took a while because of summer vacation and such but I built the new transom out of wood and poly resin(almost 10 gallons of resin and epoxy cost to High). Got ready to install in transom using west 105 and 206 hardener(slow) and the colloidal silicate to make peanut butter. followed direction on can mixed 1:5 ratio about half of a gallon total mixed for one minute and then stirred in silicate within 3 minutes of stirring in silicate the epoxy became so hot it went directly to a solid nearly burning us in process. Not sure what I did wrong but scared to even try again with remaining epoxy would like to know what I did wrong and If no good conclusions then how best to glue in transom with traditional poly resin(Had good luck so far with that stuff) the epoxy truly almost caught fire in the bowl, I was expecting a shortened working life becuase of heat and the thickness of product but four minutes! would hate to see what fast hardener does. As always thanks for any help.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats, I'm pretty sure you just hijacked this guys thread, please make your own thread so others can help you and keep track of your progress.
Hijacking threads is considered rude in the forum world.

jcsercsa

Captain

Welcome to iboats, I'm pretty sure you just hijacked this guys thread, please make your own thread so others can help you and keep track of your progress.
Hijacking threads is considered rude in the forum world.

yep you need to start your own thread !! John

jonesg

Admiral

Ok took a while because of summer vacation and such but I built the new transom out of wood and poly resin(almost 10 gallons of resin and epoxy cost to High). Got ready to install in transom using west 105 and 206 hardener(slow) and the colloidal silicate to make peanut butter. followed direction on can mixed 1:5 ratio about half of a gallon total mixed for one minute and then stirred in silicate within 3 minutes of stirring in silicate the epoxy became so hot it went directly to a solid nearly burning us in process. Not sure what I did wrong but scared to even try again with remaining epoxy would like to know what I did wrong and If no good conclusions then how best to glue in transom with traditional poly resin(Had good luck so far with that stuff) the epoxy truly almost caught fire in the bowl, I was expecting a shortened working life becuase of heat and the thickness of product but four minutes! would hate to see what fast hardener does. As always thanks for any help.

I thought you were on a budget, I can't even look at epoxy.

When you try something new do a test batch first to get a feel for it, commiting that much epoxy to the first try is ...expensive.

At this point I would bond the transom with PL Premium construction adhesive, you can bed with it too , I form filets with it then glass over it when it cures a few hrs. Tab the transom all around to the glass with resin of your choice and cloth. Start with 4 inch strip of glass cloth , add another strip wider, each layer should be wider to spread the load, final layer 12 inches will give you 6 inches on the transom and 6 inches on the glass so grind glass accordingly before you start. This is probably the most critical joint on the boat so , no bubbles, no wax, no dust.

After that, are you gonna build a bracket for the engine, is it still an outboard? I think you'll need a 30 inch lower on an outboard and 12deg angle on the mount. Alum is popular, nice if you can weld your own, but many guys mold their own from glass. Whats the plan?

jeff akin

Cadet

It's still an outboard, I found an aluminum float style bracket used and it is still in good shape the angle looks correct and when i did the mockup on back it fit well in the built up area of transom. As far as the hieght goes there is still some debate, I found a good used set of 200 johnson that have thirty inch shafts but is alot more hp than I really wanted. Iam considering using only one for the short term to proof out boat. The idea is to make sure boat performs and works well then maybe biting the bullit and financing 2, 125 to 135 hp fourstrokes that will be more fuel efficient. I talked to the tech line forwest epoxy and they said all working times were based on 100 gram batches, mine was 1/2 gallon they said I had a runaway exothermic reaction because of size of batch. (wish they had put batch size recomendations on can). I think I still have enough left but I'm going to have to mix very quickly in numerous small batches at same time(friends). Seem like good way to bond new panel to existing 1/4 outer fiberglass. I just don't want to mess up existing fiberglass and there is alot of money in new panel. As always thanks for help

jonesg

Admiral

100 gram batch, so they think we're building model boats.?