Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

2000wreckedwj

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
8
I plan on separating my boat to restore it and was wondering it you guys would recommend replacing the transom and stringers with wood like it was or something like seacast? Marine plywood seems to work out cheaper but not sure on the right route. Thanks
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

Welcome to iBoats!
What boat? What budget? What future plans? Lot's of variables to consider. Give us the details and some pics. It will greatly aide us in giving you some experienced advice.
Based on your first statement, if you're gunna split the boat then going back with wood would prolly be your best bet.;)
WelcomeAboard.jpg
 

2000wreckedwj

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
8
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

Its a 1987 Procraft 1660v Bass Boat. it will be getting a 115 Johnson. I have not really set a budget other than I don't want to get too deep in it. I plan on keeping the boat for a long time so I don't want to have any issues down the road. It will be in freshwater only. I have not split it yet but knows that It needs floor stringers and the transom will be getting done if it needs it or not.
 

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Apr 28, 2001
Messages
835
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

SeaCast will cost more than the boat is worth!
 

Friscoboater

Captain
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
3,095
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

I thought about Seacast, but it was going to cost a fortune. If you do it right, the wood transom will outlast your interest in the boat.
 

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
1,060
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

The boat lasted 30 some years. If you do a decent job, it will hold up as well as the original.

One other thing: many many boats with rotten stringers and transom were neglected at some point in their life. You're not going to neglect your boat if you put that much work into it.

Go with wood.

Sea ya...
 

2000wreckedwj

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
8
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

Are there any write-ups on doing wood replacement instead of using the seacast? The stringers have rotted out cause its been sitting for about 13 years
 

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
1,060
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

There are a lot of write-ups on the web, just google for "fiberglass repair". You'll find them. When I read them, they helped give me a basic understanding but I was very fuzzy about it.

I suggest you spend the time to read oops! thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

This is what many of us currently doing projects learned from. Or check friscoboater's series of videos. WoodOnGlass is another one with a great thread. After reading oops! thread, I felt confident I knew what I was doing before I ever mixed my first batch of resin.

Sea ya...
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

The first link in my signature has drawings and basic info on everything you will be doing. Check it out.
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,202
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

Seacast is expensive. it also derives its strength from the chopped up boat hull pieces that come in the kit.

go to the stickies at top, Friscoboaters thread is much shorter than Oops's thread
 

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
8,155
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

The boat lasted 30 some years.

I love when people say this!

... but out of those 30 some years how long has the boat been quietly rotting and then just barely hanging on by the thinnest thread? 10 years? 15, 20?... sure the exterior shell has lasted 30 some years, but there's no telling when the neglect started the rotting process.


To the OP:

You can restore your boat with quality wood products and it'll last a very long time if shown just a little care. You'll do a better job hand laying the materials than was done on the fast paced production line at the factory.
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

Hmm, Kinda like all the Tin Boats with Leaking Rivets under the deck and corroding transoms behind the rotting wood due to neglect. No telling how long that's been going on too. And it Lasted 30 years!!!! But heck buck them rivets coat em with Gluvit and do a little welding and smear on some JB Weld and add some Pool Noodles under the deck and she'll be good for another 30 years just like this old Glasser!!! ONly difference is...
Tinners Bleed and Glassers Itch!!!!!:D
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Transom Repair - Wood or Seacast

Ain't That ^^^^^ the Truth!!!!!!!:facepalm:
 
Top