Transom Repair-Am I Crazy!!!

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 Mon Ark that I picked for next to nothing. The motor (inboard 3.0) and outdrive are OMC and seem to run very well. The transom is shot...I mean there is not a piece of good wood left in it.<br /><br />I cut the top off the transom (which surprisingly was pretty poorly made...fiberglass layer was paper thin under the top of the rear of the boat) and have started removing the wood...or should I say splinters.<br /><br />Am I crazy to think about cutting the outer fiberglass off the transom to really get in there and make my repairs? I thought if I cut in from the edge 2-3 inches that would give me a pretty good support to re-fiberglass the rear back on. I would go back with either 2 layers of 3/4 or 4 layers of 3/8 marine plywood, fiberglassed in between, and then the outer layer. I would of course have to grind the edges and re-appply. <br /><br />I can do it from the top, but the job would be a million times easier if I were to cut the back. What problems am I asking for by doing this? I do have some fiberglassing (automotive) experience FWIW.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!!! <br />Email: jmwj03@hotmail.com

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Transom Repair-Am I Crazy!!!

I did the same job on my sea ray I suggest to not cut the back of the transom away that would be the fiberglass and jell coat.I took out my motor transom shield all wires and anything else that was in way. Cut away 16 inches of the floor so that I could go all the way down to the deep V chiseled and grinded away the rotten wood and apoxyed back 2 pieces of untreated 3/4 marine ply I used the back transom to screw into as I sandwiched back my new ply and braced it from the inside Do some research to understand the process of how to use the apoxy and what filler,s to use

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did the same job on my sea ray I suggest to not cut the back of the transom away that would be the fiberglass and jell coat.I took out my motor transom shield all wires and anything else that was in way. Cut away 16 inches of the floor so that I could go all the way down to the deep V chiseled and grinded away the rotten wood and apoxyed back 2 pieces of untreated 3/4 marine ply I used the back transom to screw into as I sandwiched back my new ply and braced it from the inside Do some research to understand the process of how to use the apoxy and what filler,s to use

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Explain a term for me...<br /><br />When you say "transom shield," are you referring to the inner layer of fiberglass that is inside the boat? I will not have to cut away the floor as I can remove all the wood from the top. I was just looking to make it easier to install the new stuff.<br /><br />If you removed the inner glass, that would make sense as to how/why it would be easier that trying to do it all from the top. Thanks for the reply, if you could just explain to me what you meant by "transom shield," I think I'll be better prepared!

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

OK. I answered my own question on the transom shield. I do have this, the entire outdrive, and the motor out of the boat. I was trying to make the task easier (is this ever easy?) <br /><br />I do have another question though since I'm in this far...I think a yes or no (with a bit of explanation will do if a no)...<br /><br />When reinstalling the wood...do I put a layer of glass/epoxy between the outer fiberglass (of the hull) then the 1st piece of wood...then glass...then wood...then glass...then the inner fiberglass of the transom? That seems to be what everyone describes, just want to make sure...<br /><br />OR...can I assemble the layers of wood with glass outside the boat and isntall it all at once with a wet layer of glass on the sides?<br /><br />Thanks for you help!

Bondo

Staff member

Either way will work.........

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys, Thanks for all the help! And thanks for not calling me crazy! :) <br /><br />Got all the wood out...I did cut a little bit of the inner glass on the transom to give more room to get the shop vac in there to get the pieces out. I have one more question...today anyway.<br /><br />I'll go buy the wood tomorrow, but when I assemble the new transom, do I need a sheet of mat between the outer fiberglass and the transom? <br /><br />or just the resin? (wood direct to outer hull)<br /><br />or resin with fiberglass shavings in it?<br /><br />I am assuming that by adding the wood and 3 sheets of mat that it would be a very tight fit.<br /><br />Any suggestions on the right way to do this? I've seen it described both ways so I want to do it right!<br /><br />Thanks again!

lorax

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used mat between the outer glass and the plywood. That seemed to be what everyone recommended.<br />The mat is available in different weights. If it's too tight a fit why not get some lighter mat?

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you need to slow down I can see that you should get all the information and knowledge From the way I did my transom you do not put any glass between the back of boat or between any of the wood contact your fiberglass store Youy should use the west system apoxy and a filler there are several I used aerosil for a filler it is to make the apoxy into a peanut butter like substance then you spread onto wood after you have already saturated the wood with a wet coat of apoxy

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your glueing the wood to the back of the boat transom after you have done all your glueing then you go over that with all your glass matting if you decide to go that strong and take around the corners a bit then gell coat and your done it is done right the matting is not going to work as a good glue up it will seperate same as delaminate

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I don't know your boat but I would put several layers of woven roving in the corners overlapping to the sides & transom by at least 6". Use plenty of resin & soak it well. This is for strength in securing the transom to the sides.

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the tips. I am trying to take in all the knowledge of this forum and make educated decisions on my repair.<br /><br />Let's talk about 2 things:<br /><br />1) Fiberglass. I have not separated the sides from the transom. The outer hull is still "as is" from the factory. Is is still recommended that I wrap some mat from the sides onto the back? Since I will basically be re-glassing the inner glass of the transom behind the motor, should I wrap some extra glass onto th sides from that inner layer?<br /><br />2) Epoxy. This should be the bonding agent of the wood to the rear hull of the boat and of the 2 layers of wood together? There was a piece of mat between the two orininal layers, but since the wood rotted, it was ineffective. Should I eliminate this or simply use epoxy to glue the mat between the 2 sheets of ply?<br /><br />Thanks again for all the help. This is an interesting learning experience to say the least!

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need to get rid of the mat idea. Don,t know where you keep coming up with that.I,m not an expert but before I did mine I researched out between 2 fiberglass experts and there was no mention of mat Do you have a fiberglass store that can help You have to use marine ply untreated clean off the back of transom of all wood and sand or grind off existing glass to rough it up clean with aceitone cut all wood even do couple pieces apoxy on back transom and on new wood then before that dries you mix up your apoxy with areisol mixed in to a peanut butter like substance trowel it on then screw it on here and there from the back of transom stern to bow also have wood wedges or cleats to push wood to stern or to transom no voidsTry all this on something before you even start Familurise you self with the products before you start find out how much time you have to work with Buy the slow apoxy after you have apoxyed the wood all to transom then you can put all the matting you want on the wood the bow side and glass all you want then put back your transom shield and wrap back up the side,s some I live in a hot area good trick is you can even ice water down your apoxy a bit to get some extra minutes .You only get 1 chance so try all this off to the side I mean in your garage or yard glue together then try top pull apart next day Do you need fiberglass store number maybe the one in my area will help you let us know

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need to get rid of the mat idea. Don,t know where you keep coming up with that.I,m not an expert but before I did mine I researched out between 2 fiberglass experts and there was no mention of mat Do you have a fiberglass store that can help You have to use marine ply untreated clean off the back of transom of all wood and sand or grind off existing glass to rough it up clean with aceitone cut all wood even do couple pieces apoxy on back transom and on new wood then before that dries you mix up your apoxy with areisol mixed in to a peanut butter like substance trowel it on then screw it on here and there from the back of transom stern to bow also have wood wedges or cleats to push wood to stern or to transom no voidsTry all this on something before you even start Familurise you self with the products before you start find out how much time you have to work with Buy the slow apoxy after you have apoxyed the wood all to transom then you can put all the matting you want on the wood the bow side and glass all you want then put back your transom shield and wrap back up the side,s some I live in a hot area good trick is you can even ice water down your apoxy a bit to get some extra minutes .You only get 1 chance so try all this off to the side I mean in your garage or yard glue together then try top pull apart next day Do you need fiberglass store number maybe the one in my area will help you let us know

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

Recordhunter, Thanks for the continued help. As for the mat, you're the only person to tell me not to use it. Every piece of research I have done (over the last month) has said to use mat...except for if I got with a pourable transom which I have pretty much talked myself out of.<br /><br />All the internet and library reading said to use mat, and as I removed the old wood, it appears the factory did the same.<br /><br />I'm not opposed either way, but that is where I got the idea. I just want to make sure it is done right and is solid for many years when I am done. I may also call some local shops to see what advice they offer. Normally they don't want to help, the want to do it themselves :) <br /><br />All the forums I belong to are generally more helpful from fellow hobbyists, so I started here.<br /><br />Thanks again for sticking with me and trying to explain this. I am going to try and go to West Marine today (I have a local store) and see what they tell me and price the appropriate materials.<br /><br />Can you describe what the "areisol" is that you used to thicken the mixture? What did it consist of? In looking around, I've found nothing that resembles this. <br /><br />Thanks again!

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

maybe i have missed something but you are replacing you transom wood .that goes against the transom . Once you scrape away you will be left with just the transom fiberglass If that is right I did not have any mat between mine I have a 1979 25 foot sea ray. The areisol is a fiberglass material there are several there is microbubles and q cell and areislo and more they have there purpose some are harder to sand than others. try calling this number tell them you need some help and that you will buy whatever you need from them once you have figured how to do it see if dave still works there he had the most knowledge he was from maui 1 800 566 2653 explain both ways to them good luck take your time i know you are in a hurry to get the boat in the water but once you have it all figured out then it will be alot easier

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I doubt very much if anyone at west marine would know how to do this type of a job. sorry west marine guys but this is not your expertise.

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I think I figured out where we're getting off...we're talking the same thing, but different! (THat makes a lot of sense!!!)<br /><br />What I am saying mine originally had is:<br /><br />Outer transom (stern) made of fibeglass<br />Layer of 3/4 ply<br />Layer of fiberglass mat<br />Layer of 3/4 ply<br />Inner transom (facing bow) made of fiberglass.<br /><br />My assumption is that the glass is wet when they lay the wood in at the factory and hence bonded together. Then they lay the inner layer of glass (again wet) which forms the entire transom with wood sandwiched between the 2 pieces of fiberglass. Again, mine had an additional layer between the 2 layers of wood.<br /><br />What I have read is that there is to be a layer of wet fiberglass in between the outer transom and wood and the inner transom and wood. I think we are achieving the same thing, maybe in different ways. If I understand, your aerisol will have fiberglass in it? And it is the hardner? I guess what others have done is used a piece of mat with the epoxy.<br /><br />I will try calling that number as well as a local boat repair and see what they say. All I was going to do at West Marine is inquire about the West system as they stock it. I hoped they could shd some insight into the aerisol product.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help. I think it is getting clearer now!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You don't have to use mat between the layers of wood, but it is a good idea to use it between the wood and the outer shell, to help fill irregularities and achieve a better bond. I went with a layer of mat between my layers of ply and the outer shell, it just gives a bit of insurance. I would never do a transom job without at least a layer of mat or cloth between wood and outer shell, just too many irregularities in the shell surface and the wood. Also, I have never agreed that it is even vaguely wise to cut the outer shell and do a transom job from the outside. That is too important an area structurally and the repair will never be as strong, and the end result will look horrible unless a lot of marine bondo is used. Good luck...