transom other than wood

kfa4303

Banned
Re: transom other than wood

Very Cool. Any pics of how you made it?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Jay - I'm like you... If a wood transom was such a great thing, no one would be posting about replacing them. I NEVER want to replace my transom - ever again. I went on a wood eradication campaign on my boat (I could just feel it rotting while I was on the water). You might check around for fiberglass distributors. I ended up getting some odds/ends pieces of fiberglass laminate (cost me ~$20). I laminated the pieces to the desired thickness, then cut it to shape. Hard as he!! to cut, but you can get a jig-saw blade that's appropriate. Here's a picture of my transom.

Jul08%20010.jpg

Never will have to do this job again!

What kind of " fiberglass laminate " did you use ?

What kind of " appropriate " jig-saw " blade did you use ? ( Id really like to hear this because I just cut through 3/4" solid glass panels that I had for about 5' and smoked a few blades ).

Wood has been used for decades in boat transoms..done correctly It will still outlive you ( probably not outlive Forever but ..eh.. ).

YD.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Jay - I'm like you... If a wood transom was such a great thing, no one would be posting about replacing them. I NEVER want to replace my transom - ever again. I went on a wood eradication campaign on my boat (I could just feel it rotting while I was on the water). You might check around for fiberglass distributors. I ended up getting some odds/ends pieces of fiberglass laminate (cost me ~$20). I laminated the pieces to the desired thickness, then cut it to shape. Hard as he!! to cut, but you can get a jig-saw blade that's appropriate. Here's a picture of my transom.

Jul08%20010.jpg

Never will have to do this job again!

Now that is a work of art. Nice work. I couldn't find the composites that were listed last summer, he must have sold them all, I'm kicking myself for not buying one or two. I second the post pics of the process if you've got em request.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Solid glass weighs about 1lb per sq ft, per 1/8 inch, so a 12"x12"x1" piece of solid glass weighs about 8 lbs.

At 6'x2'x2" (just a guess on the trasnom size) it would weigh about 192 lbs. being solid glass.

If it were me I would use plywood and epoxy and then check it again in about 15 years to see how its holding up.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boy, i wish it was 192 lbs (I would feel like a really strong dude!). The glass "sheets" I got were heavy, but I suspect the transom weighed about 40-50 lb in the end. It was certainly heavier than wood, no doubt. Ondarvr has the practical solution without a doubt. I have a particular perversion about things like this. My wife will say, "Cover it up with some trim and it'll look great." I'll be thinking, "Yeah, but I'll always know it looks like crap under that trim."

As I say, totally impractical, but for a freak like me, I love knowing there's no wood to even have the possibility of rotting (and I know this boat will be sold or retired before it would rot anyway.... I know it, so it doesn't have to be said...).

I posted my arduous resto on the "finished" part of the site. The jigsaw blade was here. I'm pretty sure I used all 5 for this job... Cutting the bevel on the sides was particularly difficult.

Not sure how you can check for this fiberboard "locally." I was visiting my brother-in-law and he knew a guy who worked at the plant (and amazingly, he lots of odd sizes for sale!). Ondarvr is right though. It is far heavier than wood. Strength-wise and bend-wise, it's all kind of solid!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the linky on the blades tboydva :) .

I dont cut many thing thats solid glass with a jiggy..I use them big boys. But for finesse cuts that last set of dewalt "super blades" were a joke.

Gonna get some asap and stuff them in my "go-to" box :) .

YD.

my hull is all been done with the gluvit and ordered my coosa board yesterday it was 300 dollars shipped to my door not bad considering you just cut it to shape and drop it in and it will last forever much better than wood if you ask me i got it from a company called total plastics in baltimore marayland for the cost of wood time and apoxy the coosa is the way to go hands down so you can

Last edited by a moderator:

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lol.

I used coosa in my transom and I don't regret it. Definitely more costly, but it did save a lot of time and work, especially for a guy like me that had never worked with fiberglass before.

just another believer if wood was so good there wouldnt be so many transome replacement threads

its bee a long time but i went with the coosa dont regret it a bit 308.00 for a 4by 8 sheet 1inch thick pricey but well worth it nomore worrying about the transome for the life of the boat also replaced all my decking and consoles with marine grade plywood coated on all sides with three coats of grizzly grip roll on bed liner its like dipping it in rubber it will never rot again and very durable comes in many colors also a bit pricey 85 dollars a gallon but again now the deck and consoles will be there for ever

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

its bee a long time but i went with the coosa dont regret it a bit 308.00 for a 4by 8 sheet 1inch thick pricey but well worth it nomore worrying about the transome for the life of the boat also replaced all my decking and consoles with marine grade plywood coated on all sides with three coats of grizzly grip roll on bed liner its like dipping it in rubber it will never rot again and very durable comes in many colors also a bit pricey 85 dollars a gallon but again now the deck and consoles will be there for ever

I don't get using the coosa for the transom and then going back with wood for the rest??? The coosa is good stuff..used it before. But if rot is the issue, doing just the transom doesn't click in my head???

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Anybody ever used finn form..

alligatorgars

Seaman Apprentice

Im onboard for a complete composite replacement of stringers, floor and transom. Plywood is the reason this section of the forum is popular. ( I havent seen a Cape Horn boat show up here for a rotted transom replacement yet.) I must agree with cadwelder about replacing the stringers and deck with composites also if you are doing the transom. Only makes sense. There are other products out there other than Coosa board for this.

3/4in Nyloboard http://www.nyloboard.com/products/nylosheet/styles-sizes Style G-4