transom leak

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So, I did inspect around the steering pin and it is lower than that, I think. It's around that speedo/water tube area. I will get it back to the ramp this weekend- I really don't think it is the exhaust Y- I think my buddy is seeing the water come down from above and running off that and thinking it is leaking there....and yes, if it is a cracked transom assembly, everything has to come off and be replaced which is what scares the heck out of my wallet. I ran out of time today. We'll see about next weekend. I could wiggle that speedo piece of plastic, looks like a pin holds it in place and it would wiggle a little anyway but will look at it closer. It for sure did not leak anything today at home running for about 45 mins probably...I iddled it up a bit as well to make sure I really had the water flowing...

Thanks for the input!

rickasbury

also, if I did run some sealant around the gimbal ring, and it still leaks, does that eliminate that seal then? It's for sure I think leaking above the exhaust seals on the inside and out side..

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
also, if I did run some sealant around the gimbal ring, and it still leaks, does that eliminate that seal then? It's for sure I think leaking above the exhaust seals on the inside and out side..

If you seal the gimbal area with silicone, and it stops leaking, your transom is rotten.

alldodge

Staff member

If the sealant is complete and water stops then it is the seal

rickasbury

Well, those are two pretty different answers! I've never had a transom apart so sorry for the dumb questions....I'll get back at it this weekend I hope. Got to get back to boating, missing some of the best time of the year!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Well, those are two pretty different answers! I've never had a transom apart so sorry for the dumb questions....I'll get back at it this weekend I hope. Got to get back to boating, missing some of the best time of the year!

No they aren't. If you run a quality sealant bead around the transom and the leak stops, you then know it is the transom seal that is leaking. In that case you almost certainly need to rebuild the transom. They both said the same thing.

rickasbury

So, my plan for the weekend will be as such. I don't want to just drop it off to a shop unless I have a real good understanding of what the problem is- I don't like being taken advantage of and don't want to pay a lot of money for a little repair just because the shop has no better idea of what is going on that I do. I want to identify where it is leaking. I'm going to get some sealant and go around the entire gimbal ring. I'm going to find something I can plug the water path from the Y pipes. I will put a big plastic bag around the foot and cover the exhaust ports so no water is going up that way to the Y pipe until I remove it- drop it in the ramp and see if it leaks, if not, start undoing things until it does. Does this sound like a reasonable way to tie it down?

scoflaw

Ensign
Usually when the steering pin leaks you will see it it dripping off the plastic goose neck fitting for the water feed. The surface that plastic fitting screws to can also get corroded which is part of the inner transom assembly.

Sometimes the key hole doesn't get cut properly and could be the source if the transom seal isn't making a solid contact all the way around. I seriously doubt your transom is rotted on a 2005 trailer boat

rickasbury

Thanks- what screws are you talking about? Just so I know a spot to look! I wish there was a tad more space behind that motor to see- might have to undo the steering to be able to really see what is going on.....I just want to know before I have someone fix it.

scoflaw

Ensign
Look at the plastic goose neck the 1 1/2" hose connects to. You should be able to easily see that with a light and a mirror

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I think this is for a BravoIII, which doesn't have the little plastic neck like Alpha drives. Does have an elbow with a gasket and screws though.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 9.28.42 AM.png

rickasbury

OK, Got ya....it is in that area but I don't think it is leaking from there. The last time I was at the ramp looking at it, I was having problems with my truck and water was really coming in so I panicked and pulled back out. Good to go now so I will plug this sucker up and try it again and see- will update findings over the weekend!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Good plan. Take your time and know what it needs. Good plan to seal off the gimbal housing all the way around. It is possible that the steering upper pin seal is shot, or Y pipe something or other, if it isn't the gimbal housing seal. Don't be afraid to take a drill and put a hole from the inside into the transom down lowish and near the cutout. See what you have for wood quality and plug it with 5200 if it shows good wood. Proof of a good transom would feel great.

rickasbury

so I brought the boat home and looking the job of setting up this test. It looks like a large bag will cover the exhaust OK. To complete the seal of the gimbal ring, I will have to take off the parts at the bottom where the trim lines come through (another area that I never even thought of for a leak, sure are lots of holes in my boat!). I'm trying to find the passages where the cooling water exits the boat- I see it has to be right there where the exhaust comes out, I know it comes out but never looked to see where it comes from! Perhaps I can see better in the am than with my light but I'd think it would be pretty obvious?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
large bag

If your plan is to cover things with a bag and then put the boat in the water, in my opinion this will not work. Even if the bag covers everything, the pressure from the water will rip the bag

An Alpha drive has exhaust relief ports at the boat of the transom assembly, the Bravo does not

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Exhaust passage, with cooling water, is unsealed and can leak water in pretty much everywhere, including where the drive halves split. You will not be able to seal it off.

rickasbury

Well, I take that for the truth- but , it should slow down the leak enough to figure out where it is leaking. If it is the main transom seal, and it is not leaking at all at least I will know that, right? I put a bead around the gimbal ring. I did plug up the water exhaust ( finally saw where that comes out} so that is part of the equation....I put a bag around the lower foot and then stuffed more plastic into the exhaust ports above the foot. So, at least that should slow it down to where I can see where it is coming- I can pull back out of the ramp, remove what I did part by part and by the volume of incoming water conclude where the water is coming in, agreed? Also, in running the bead around the ring, I had to try and remove what I thought was just a cover for the trim hoses- I removed the two bolts I thought that kept it on but there are wires attached somehow and it is not coming off. Very coroded Boat transom.jpg under there as well. Not to the point I think it is leaking- but I would like to get if off and inspect and clean it up, picture attached, what is it and why are there wires and how does it come off!

alldodge

Staff member
The black piece is the Cathode (part of Mercathode) and it has two wires which go up thru the housing and connect to the Mercathode that is connected on top the motor.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30972/1943/320

There is a rubber grommet that seals the wires so water cannot come in. The trim hose manifold has a hole in it so wires can pass thru.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30972/1943/160

This shouldn't be your issue because you said the water is coming in above the drive input shaft as I understand it