transom leak

alldodge

Staff member
I did a partial transom replacement, and cut the stringers. Installed new wood the glassed and epoxied in. This is just fitting the two layers of new wood in place

fetch

Here is my replacement thread
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...pair/8846856-formula-27pc-transom-work/page24

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ah...thanks. I'm looking at the key hole and hit it with some sandpaper and it looks to be glassed in at the bottom. That wood at the bottome of the keyhole is solid. So, I'm going to review above for drilling and put some hole in her!

rickasbury

Transom 3-26-1.jpg

Attachments

• Transom 3-26-2.jpg
    Transom 3-26-2.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Transom 3-26-3.jpg
    Transom 3-26-3.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 1
  • transom 3-26-4.jpg
    transom 3-26-4.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 1
  • transom 3-26-5.jpg
    transom 3-26-5.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 1
  • transom 3-26-5.jpg
    transom 3-26-5.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 1
  • transom 3-26-6.jpg
    transom 3-26-6.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 1
  • transom 3-26-7.jpg
    transom 3-26-7.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 1
  • transom 3-26-8.jpg
    transom 3-26-8.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
I think your in great shape. Fill the holes with 5200 or 4200 and your good.

rickasbury

Sweet- thank you guys for your input- I would be freaking out without the help I have gotten on this thread!

I will work on parts, will see if I can find a fresh waster y pipe somewhere, gasket and get back to boating. I will re install the transom asy, and the out drive and will put it in the water on the trailer before I put the motor back in.

alldodge

Staff member
I will work on parts, will see if I can find a fresh waster y pipe somewhere, gasket and get back to boating. .

Suggest going to Offshore only and post in the wanted section. There are several there which have the items, and could also see ebay. There is a guy there that has a set of Corsa diverters and Y pipe for 650

rickasbury

so are y pipes Y pipes or are there specific ones for bravo III? I'm sure I can get the part number but are there variables? Never had to shop for one of these before and I know new are 700 bucks!

alldodge

Staff member
There are different ones but you should have a 4 inch pipe which is standard for all V8 from SB to BB. Part number is 8M0115149

rickasbury

I do recognize that number from looking it up...hunt is on! will take a break for a bit and get back on it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Did ya get the seized bolts out of the transom assembly yet,..??

rickasbury

No, have not tackled that yet.....kind of re grouping right now considering it took two weekends and then some to get the darn assembly out of the boat! It's in my garage now so I can get to grinding and get the rest of the pipe off and start soaking those threads.....

rickasbury

Also- how the heck do I reply to a private message? I don't see any way to do it and the answer is yes, let me know about the shipping.

alldodge

Staff member
Also- how the heck do I reply to a private message? I don't see any way to do it and the answer is yes, let me know about the shipping.

Click on the message and read it, then in the bottom type your reply just like you do in a regular thread.

rickasbury

wow, I guess I am just a moron....I click on the message, it's says at the top message preview. I click the show more and I can see the rest of the message- I don't see anywhere "below it" to add any type of reply....

And as for the leak- only thing I can think of and have 0 experience to base this on, when I knocked the hell out of that gimbal bearing it must have broken the seal in a low spot on the gasket? It looks like there may only be 010/015 of an inch of seal that is impacting the transom and in a couple of spots I swear it looks just flush- have made the comment before I don't see how it sealed anything!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The transom seal does a pretty good Job sealing the assembly. A good example is on my rig, I'm rebuilding the entire boat, when I removed the original 1985 transom assembly, the gasket was flat, but did not leak, even with a rotten transom.
After I rebuilt the transom, I installed the assembly with a new gasket, then decided to remove it to finish painting about a month later. The new gasket is now flat. It did spring back about 1/32" but that's all. If it did not seal well, mercruiser would have a lot of boats to recall over the years.

scoflaw

Ensign
My last 2 boats had a leaky seal with nothing wrong with the transoms, that's why I suggested a bead of 4200 around the transom assembly. Worked for me, 20 bucks and about 30 minutes of prep and apply.

rickasbury

I agree scoflaw- my transom seems to be good yet I have a leak.I have not looked closely since I removed the gimbal but I'm going to say it did not spring back 1/32 of an inch if any at all. That transom is not a machined flat surface and I'm sure the quality of the molds would have a lot to do with how flat it is. It's leaking somehow, that's for sure and I hope it goes back together with a new seal AND some 4200 and I'm done. Will report back in a few weeks to the result!

scoflaw

Ensign
Exactly right, the transom area may not be dead flat, and it looks like your leak was in the same spot as mine, lower starboard side. 4200 to the rescue.