Transducer question

Newtotoons

Recruit
Bought new Garmin 73sv fish finder that works amazing but the transducer is very vulnerable. I have a 16' pontoon and the transducer sits right on the bottom when pulled up to shore. Is there a stable way to a swing the unit up so it is out of harms way?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buddy mounts his transducer on a telescopic pole he can retract

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Made himself. Two pieces of aluminum tube, some aluminum plate and some time in the shop

Newtotoons

Recruit
Sounds good if I can reproduce it. I'm a woodworker but don't have much experience with metals.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Sounds good if I can reproduce it. I'm a woodworker but don't have much experience with metals.
make one out of wood dowels, closet sized or maby a bit smaller. When you get the setup you like, duplicate it in metal.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
my bud used a 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum tube with 3/16 wall and a 1 x 1 aluminum tube with 3/16 wall.

the outer tube had a mounting flange welded to it so he could bolt to the aft fence

the inner tube had the transducer mounting plate welded to it, and a stop at the top.

the inner tube had a hole drilled thru near the top
there were 2 holes drilled in the inner tube (two different heights) and he used a small quick pin to keep in place in the water or raise up as needed.

since then he welded a mounting bracket behind one of the tubes

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Use these for ideas to fabricate.

Newtotoons

Recruit
Sorry for not getting to this sooner, but I checked out your links and think I found a viable solution there. I just don't have the time right now to build something myself. So i think I might have to try something that someone else put their time into. But thank you to all of you who replied.