Too old for water sking???

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Too old for water sking???

Here's moi at 58 years old. I hadn't skied in 15 years. I'd take the kids out but never had a suitable driver to tow me.

DSCF0294.jpg

I was very apprehensive prior to 'hitting it'. My fears were well founded although I did get up the first time. I ski with double handles and one of my old time trix for relaxing was to pull the handles behind the small of my back, grab both handles with one hand, kick back and cruise.

It was all I could do to pull myself far enough forward to get the handles behind my back. Needless to say it was not a long run before the old muskels gave out and I had to drop off.

The following day, I tried it again. It was even harder to hang on for the initial pull. I hung on for dear life and got up again on the first pull. But I was totally unable to get the handles behind my back.

This summer will be 3 years later and I feel I've lost muscle tone but I am gonna try it again.

Last edited:

magillacuddy

Seaman

Age should be measured by your physical health and not the number of years that have passed since your birth. My father is in his 60's and is in better shape than a lot of my friends in their 30's.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

47 now and went skiing untill I had my stroke about a year and a half ago.
since then it only been tubes and the kneeboard although I am planning on trying it this summer, what's the worst that could happen? I fall and get wet?:D
here's the deal I had a stroke I didn't die so i'm keepin on keepin on
and the best way to get better is by pushing myself. I figure if I don't try I should have asked for Dr. Kevorkian when I was at the hospital
But I do know my limits I haven't been on a motorcycle and not planning on it anytime soon:(:(:(:(
jamie

rhvi

Cadet

Skibrain:

Love the Pictures. It's about 35 degrees here (WI) and raining and about 2 to 21/2 months away from skiing. Thanks. BTW I'm 55 and have been skiing since I was 7 and slaloming since I was 12.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. With 10" of fresh snow last Thursday, ice-out here (MN) seems like a long ways away. Spring always comes eventually. :)

314895400.jpg

Eficht

Cadet

Cheese and Rice,
That guy getting up must be 100 feet behind the boat. Most standard length ropes are 75', with the first break at 15 off, or 60 fee, then 22 off, or 75'-22'. My thought would be not to go out 75', go out at 15 or 22 off. There is a lot more responsiveness the shorter the rope, but too short is beyond most skiers. But 75' is making your effort too hard. Start at 15 off and maybe try 22 off. You don't have to run the course, but it will help you get used to the feeling again.
Best,

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great pictures.. and I am 68 and still keeping myself going. John

skibrain

It's worth experimenting on rope lengths just to find optimal slalom wake (height, width, location of rooster tail bump) on any given boat. On my little 16' V-hull outboard the wake is as good at 15 off as nearly any direct drive inboard i've skied behind.

At 22 off and shorter (ahead of the rooster tail on most) direct drives are the standard. When skiing slalom and wake crossing at 45 mph+ less wake is really appealing. If nothing else, the photos taken from the boat are more interesting on a shorter line! :)

Oh yeah, buy some gloves. I skied for about 25 years and really poo-pooed the whole ski glove deal. Thought they were for sissies. REALLY. BUY SOME GLOVES.

364906063.jpg

108818837.jpg

Last edited:

WizeOne

Commander

Cheese and Rice,
That guy getting up must be 100 feet behind the boat. Most standard length ropes are 75'.....

All true Eficht. Good eye you have. I went to great length, in my later years, to find those 100' ropes. Found a custom maker on the internet and got handles to my liking as well as the length I was accustomed to using. 100' used to be a standard (in my heyday) When I got back to it, all I could find was 75'.

btw, that's the same boat pulling me, at an advanced age, that pulled me in my prime. And it is one of those evil OMC STRINGERS. Good things last a long time.:p

SwivelHips

Recruit

I turned 48 this year, and skied 51 days for the season in MN. With drysuits we are in the water by end of April or early May and ski into October always. Sometimes a couple of days in November. 2 to 3 days a week during the prime months.

I'm not barefooting as much anymore (1-2 runs a year). But slalom a lot. For me the trick has been to recruit a network of like-minded friends that will get up early (sunrise in June is 5:30 a.m.!) and hit the lake when the water is flat and there are few other boats.

I am REALLY sore for the first 4-6 weeks of the season while the connective tissue in arms and shoulders gets whipped into shape. Then just in mild pain all season long. :) OK we ski pretty hard and run the slalom course, but if I'm not skiing at least twice a week, I am going backwards in skiing strength.

Ibuprofen is good.

103738721.jpg

74447157.jpg

I hope to keep at it for a long time and encourage anyone else to do same.

Nice action, skibrain! 47 here and still ski every summer. Our season up here in Canadia is short, so I have to make the most of it. I'll admit I haven't 'footed in over 10 years, but your pic makes me want to give it another go. Busted a couple ribs 2-3 years ago when I crashed flush to the wake, so that slowed me down a bit but I still love it.

1000% yes on the gloves, they are a must.

For those of you who think you're too old, I suggest you Google "Banana George".

rabiddawg

Cadet

Getting back into skiing this summer has made me feel 20 again. Ok, maybe 35, but it still felt great to get back on the water after about a ten year hiatus.

Here are a few pics the wife shot of the old man last weekend.

skiing1-1.jpg

skiing2.jpg

Booner76

Cadet

Hi Folks
Well ...I'm 58 and still love the sport. Was sking the course till 2 years ago..(best 28 off at 32).Got bored of it..so my friend and I (Brad) ski shortline (freestyle..past 2 years) 32 off at 34-36.Sometime when we feel cranked (actually that is most times) we ski 39 /1/2 off at 34-36. FUN! Boat..(Nautique 206).
Here are a couple pics (32 off at 34)
Keep the curvy side down!:)
Cheers

Attachments

• Free Style August7th 2008 004.jpg
    Free Style August7th 2008 004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Free Style August7th 2008 022.jpg
    Free Style August7th 2008 022.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

Nice shots rabiddawg and booner. Keep the pictures coming!

This thread could be retitled "Too young for water skiing" My kids and my nephews will slalom, but otherwise can't say I know many skiers younger than 40.

rabiddawg

Cadet

I have not seen anyone else ski on the lake we go to. All tubing. I taught both of my kids(12 &15) and one other youngster to ski this summer. Anyone can hang onto a tube:rolleyes:

skibrain

Agree. My rule with the kids was always "Everybody skis first" and then we tube until dark.

d40390

Cadet

I'm 56, 215 lbs, and just learned two years ago. Friend has a house at the lake and I go every chance I get. Still 2 skis, but I'm working on it. Having a ball.

coolguy147

Commander

mostly wakeboarders on my lake see a few skiers here and there but havent seen one in a while

skibrain

At a family reunion a couple summers ago I pulled together as much gear as I could for a July 4th multi-skier attempt. We started with 9, succeeded in getting 8 of us out of the water. Lots of dragging but we made it!

103525110.jpg

103787060.jpg

104603313.jpg

After a 2 dropped off we made a couple more passes

103789280.jpg

Booner76

Cadet

Hi Folks

This was taken when I was a few years younger.(55)...We plan on a 6 man(woman) this summer..I hope. :D

"Keep the curvy side down" :)
Cheers

Attachments

• 04-04%20to%2008-04%20088.jpg
    04-04%20to%2008-04%20088.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0