Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
64 - - check above post ^^^^^^^ that info I found while searching MI rules and it does apply to Michigan. If it didn't the Coasties would have a hay day on the Great Lakes busting all the boats that have porta-pots aboard. Also when they (Coast Guard) boarded my boat for inspection mine was right in plain sight and no problems noted.

64osby

Admiral
Got it Willy. Now I'll have to plan a space for a P-P when the Mariner gets a face lift.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Would like some input. I'm going to replace the controls in the Chief when spring time starts to get a little closer. I hated the location and function of the old throttle controls which is a side mount from the donor boat. I plan on pulling the side panel and building a raised footing for a new top mount.

So far I've been shopping around and come up with this one having what I need and the right looks.
Yeah I would buy it here if iboats carried them.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks purdy...and it should for that price:) I like the top mount on something like the your Chief. Not sure I'd drop that coin unless I was going to hold onto the boat for a long time and the side mount was a real PIA, but then again, I just dropped about the same on some rod holders and tracks, so the cost of comfort and convienence is really an individual preference. Would the existing cable lengths still work, or would you need those as well?

Watermann

Looks purdy...and it should for that price:) I like the top mount on something like the your Chief. Not sure I'd drop that coin unless I was going to hold onto the boat for a long time and the side mount was a real PIA, but then again, I just dropped about the same on some rod holders and tracks, so the cost of comfort and convienence is really an individual preference. Would the existing cable lengths still work, or would you need those as well?

Yeah they're spendy items alright and there's plenty of cable length to move it up.

So what's wrong with the one you have? here is another Teleflex. http://www.**************************/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51595

Nothing is really wrong with the controls, it works alright except for one of the micro switches for the tilt went out. It's just too low and a pita being on the side panel where it's at now. I figured out how to beat the website addy censors...for now anyway... Type in what the item is like I did above and highlight the text, next click on the "Link" button above, copy the web addy from the page and paste it into the Link window and you're there. :D

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice!!!

I used a Morse MT-3 on the Bluefin (hopefully the new owner appreciates it). The action was smoooooth & even....with a very simple mechanism. The main downside there is the TnT would need a separate switch

Watermann

Yeah I looked hard at those type of controls and really was stuck on the twins, they look awesome. The drawback was as you said the TnT buttons and the Mercruiser has 2, one for trim and one for tilt.

jstidom1

Recruit
I just wanted to say that I lurked around the Starcraft forum since 2012, watching the amazing work some of you've done, but never joined or felt like commenting until I saw the award poll. This is my first post to an online forum so bare w/ me if I don't get it right. Joined so I could cast a vote when I saw the tie, sorry my vote didn't help you win the 1st poll. I LOVE your chieftian and the V6 you swapped in. I'll vote for you again and just wanted to post and maybe help push you over the top in the tie breaker. My son and I aren't ready for a project as large as a chief, yet, but really enjoy seeing what some of you come up w and post in the for sale thread. No wonder so many have more then 1. My wife would kill me if I dragged home an even larger project home before finishing whatever's in the driveway already. I laugh at all the 'donor' boat comments about fiberglass boats too. Anyway, thanks for posting this project, gives me something to shoot for w/ the boat after my next one. Currently we use a beat up old jon boat that was my dad's when I was growing up. So I'd like our next to be a 16SS. For now I'll have to settle for dreaming, but w/ the guys helping around here, I suspect I could tackle a 16ft w/ my wife's approval.

thanks again, sorry for the run on blathering and good luck w/ the re-vote. Off to vote now.

I do like the other guys boat too, he did great work.

James

Watermann

I wanted to wait and get a pic of the Avalanche hooked to the Chief. We have some road trips planned for summer to out of State lakes and needed a little more comfortable tow vehicle than my old Chevy. I just picked the new ride up last week.

y4mB_6rnSKTUR0bMlwyN2RNqGn7GapGuZmlWgqCrHQ9wkBrlIUagKUb44a9-FxYt9_VaXQ32PUhutYn7YHL4fD7aDEy2ct7aNUNppGBA8UMiyGljFVPKqSxahIsvPjo7R7OfdFhQEYx9mcDSnpLvCxce3ehHZKfnEzykZb-11ZvGCCk7cQPT-BxKfvvGHJUeyGeBy6rePXTB14IFR7njMKobg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice..... Now I guess we need to add a tow vehicle sponsorship to the SOTY generous benefits package ;)

Nice looking. It'll look great in front of the Chieftain going down the road.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think you'll be much more comfortable towing your Chief with your new ride versus Gibles trying to tow his Chief with his new Vette. Nice score!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know where some of H&R Block's billions are going. :D Nice looking Chevy, Water.

Watermann

It's not new, only looks that way. GM stopped making Avalanches in 2013. Believe it or not this is garage kept low mile 2007 without a ding or scratch one. :D

Also I got the new top mount control for the Chief, it came missing the trailer tilt switch and I've been trying to get the company to send me a new one so I don't have to send the whole thing back.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
SHARP tow vehicle there Agua!!!

Now work-up some of that liquid courage and paint a rusto-Blue stripe on it to match the SOTY Chief!!! :D

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice Chevy H20!

I'm real interested in seeing your new controls all hooked up. I hate the way mine is so low....

Watermann

Yeah that drove me nuts CJ and reverse was a serious pain at the dock. I plan on making up an angled platform that has a flat area on top to secure the top mount controls level with the top of the gunnel. I will use the existing side mount hole to run the cables and wiring inside the platform. I'm thinking of fabing it up with some AL and maybe backing the top with some ply on the inside.

My missing tilt switch for the control arrived today so I'm happy with that. The place I bought it from blew me off but the manufacturer Seastar Solutions (Uflex) stepped right up and sent it free of charge.